Lazy and Low Impact DIY | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Lazy and Low Impact DIY

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Just wear your clothes ,,, they will become raggedy eventually ... like my trousers. :)

photo0132.jpg

Reactions: Odin and Treath
D

Deleted member 16034

I make a epic shit-ton of ripped up/altered shirts.

The first one was so time-consuming and annoying I gave it away the first chance I could. But a lot of them are stupid simple to make. the black one, on the other hand, is th bane of my existance and if you're a small or extra small woman or man I will give it to you. Because fuck that shirt in particular.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 295

Treath

Reaction score
Why?
Just wear your clothes. It's not about fashion.
It's about not walking around naked.

Better yet go buy some $100 "ripped hipster pants" at the mall.

Reactions: Anagor

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Another tip that I'm sure many of you know already; abandos can sometimes yield the coolest clothing scores.

There are a metric shit ton of abandoned houses up in the North East where I am waiting out the winter. A good friend of mine came up to visit, and we wound up going on a little date exploring some of 'em.

Holy goat lord, we found some bad ass stuff; old army gear, bullet casings (very cool addition to stitch onto damn near any clothing article), and he even found an authentic navy peacoat in pristine condition that is easily worth 300 dollars.

Man, I am gonna have so much fun patching this stuff up :). The possibilities are endless. Abandos are better than Black Friday.

2016_12_29_11_50_19.jpg

Lately I've been experimenting with embroidering band logos and images onto patches instead of just painting 'em. That's just 'cause I have way too much time on my hands up here on the Island of the Goats ;)

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
my clothes dont keep me warm with holes in them. So I scrounge $15 or so and get new ones. Specifically bland, logo-less garb.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
my clothes dont keep me warm with holes in them.

That's a problem in winter, yes. Depends a little bit where you are, though.

So I scrounge $15 or so and get new ones. Specifically bland, logo-less garb.

I like the stuff I have, so I just layer. If I have enough to layer, that is.

Tetsuden

Smearing jam on my pants like a real crustie
Reaction score
Website
toseekandsave.tumblr.com
Or, and I realize this is an unpopular or perhaps we could even say untrendy opinion here but.. maybe, you could always try to take care of your clothes and make them last longer so there's not some little Chinese kid clocking in extra overtime hours at the sweatshop trying to keep up with the demand. I mean if they're cranking out clothes as it is and then we're cutting holes in shit, dragging them across sandpaper and somebody was saying train grease or some shit.. I mean, what's so desirable about destroying clothes?

A lot of the clothes I own I've had since 2004, I'm so serious too. I even have thermals that I bought in 04, and those should definitely wear out sooner. My shit rips on the seam, I sew it back together. If it rips elsewhere, I patch from underneath so only the stitching show. I have pants, shirts, coats, all kinds of shit that's over a decade old. Idk, maybe I'm just from another school. To me there's nothing punk about being lazy, nothing punk about being a try-hard either.

Try-hard as in; A person who puts a large amount of effort into achieving a certain image, or counter-image, to the point where it is obviously contrived. Rather than achieving an image through genuine personality, the try-hard consciously attempts to fit a certain style through deliberate imitation, forced style, or scripted behavior. You don't want to be a poser, right?

I've just never seen the appeal in it. Overnight twisty salon dreads, brand new aged clothing, patches over perfectly good fabric with no compromised integrity, it all feels so fashion show that way. When I see these people on the streets I definitely don't think "wow, that person is so cool.. what a unique style" Nope, I think "dang, trust funds must be nice"

Also just for the record, I don't classify myself as a "punk". I just feel like it's definitely not a term that relates to this thread or this desired look OP is going for rather. DIY isn't about finding the easiest laziest most effortless way to manifest something. That's just how I see it, but what do I know.
I definitely have a punky aesthetic, but I've got jeans that are over a decade old (from my dad) that are still in decent shape. I was never a fan of intentionally ruining clothes. Gotta get the most use out of something y'know!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads