News & Blogs - Largest Homeless Camp In Mainland USA | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Largest Homeless Camp In Mainland USA

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Any one on here live there? or is it still there. Story is a bit dated but enjoyed looking over it none the less.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-jungle-largest-homeless-camp-in-us-2013-8?op=1

WELCOME TO 'THE JUNGLE': The Largest Homeless Camp In Mainland USA Is Right In The Heart Of Silicon Valley
robert-johnson.jpg
ROBERT JOHNSON

SEP. 7, 2013, 10:52 AM 905,256 82

Attachments

• robert-johnson.jpg
    robert-johnson.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 292
  • silicon-valley-homeless-encampment-the-jungle-san-jose-12.jpg
    silicon-valley-homeless-encampment-the-jungle-san-jose-12.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 346
  • come-to-the-jungle-the-largest-homeless-camp-in-the-silicon-valley-and-continental-united-states.jpg
    come-to-the-jungle-the-largest-homeless-camp-in-the-silicon-valley-and-continental-united-states.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 342
  • -several-times-in-mid-july-to-talk-to-the-people-who-live-here-and-see-what-their-lives-are-like.jpg
    -several-times-in-mid-july-to-talk-to-the-people-who-live-here-and-see-what-their-lives-are-like.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 323
  • the-conditions-here-are-deplorable.jpg
    the-conditions-here-are-deplorable.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 287
  • yet-people-still-live-out-their-daily-lives-here.jpg
    yet-people-still-live-out-their-daily-lives-here.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 331
  • there-is-no-type-of-person-who-lives-in-the-jungle.jpg
    there-is-no-type-of-person-who-lives-in-the-jungle.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 324
  • ay-only-the-chronically-homeless-settle-in-places-like-this-in-silicon-valley-but-thats-not-true.jpg
    ay-only-the-chronically-homeless-settle-in-places-like-this-in-silicon-valley-but-thats-not-true.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 299
  • -people-this-is-the-last-stop-on-a-decline-that-started-with-losing-a-job-or-fighting-an-illness.jpg
    -people-this-is-the-last-stop-on-a-decline-that-started-with-losing-a-job-or-fighting-an-illness.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 327
  • -woman-who-lives-here-lost-her-business-and-has-a-daughter-who-often-lives-in-a-neighboring-camp.jpg
    -woman-who-lives-here-lost-her-business-and-has-a-daughter-who-often-lives-in-a-neighboring-camp.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 302
  • the-man-who-lives-here-was-a-union-carpenter.jpg
    the-man-who-lives-here-was-a-union-carpenter.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 308
  • the-woman-who-lives-here-is-56-years-old.jpg
    the-woman-who-lives-here-is-56-years-old.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 297
  • some-people-have-lived-in-the-jungle-for-years.jpg
    some-people-have-lived-in-the-jungle-for-years.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 308
  • -moved-into-an-apartment-since-we-met-her-in-july-but-she-was-a-long-term-resident-of-the-jungle.jpg
    -moved-into-an-apartment-since-we-met-her-in-july-but-she-was-a-long-term-resident-of-the-jungle.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 310
  • its-not-uncommon-to-hear-threats-of-burning-people-out-of-their-tents-while-theyre-asleep-inside.jpg
    its-not-uncommon-to-hear-threats-of-burning-people-out-of-their-tents-while-theyre-asleep-inside.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 327
  • she-says-a-lot-of-camps-are-booby-trapped.jpg
    she-says-a-lot-of-camps-are-booby-trapped.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 330
  • i-could-hear-them-digging-holes-in-the-middle-of-the-night-jeri-says-of-her-time-in-the-jungle.jpg
    i-could-hear-them-digging-holes-in-the-middle-of-the-night-jeri-says-of-her-time-in-the-jungle.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 364
  • digging-here-can-be-to-hide-things-from-thieves-or-to-bury-a-beloved-pet.jpg
    digging-here-can-be-to-hide-things-from-thieves-or-to-bury-a-beloved-pet.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 309
  • or-to-expand-a-living-space.jpg
    or-to-expand-a-living-space.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 324
  • ed-to-give-birth-in-camp-and-shes-added-childrens-toys-and-additional-tents-to-her-site-for-them.jpg
    ed-to-give-birth-in-camp-and-shes-added-childrens-toys-and-additional-tents-to-her-site-for-them.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 336
  • giggles-has-lived-on-the-street-most-of-her-life-since-she-turned-18.jpg
    giggles-has-lived-on-the-street-most-of-her-life-since-she-turned-18.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 307
  • patricia-built-this-underground-room-for-protection-against-intruders.jpg
    patricia-built-this-underground-room-for-protection-against-intruders.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 299
  • jungle-encampments-san-jose-city-officials-call-this-type-of-semi-permanent-camp-an-entrenchment.jpg
    jungle-encampments-san-jose-city-officials-call-this-type-of-semi-permanent-camp-an-entrenchment.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 442
  • el-any-type-of-barrier-protecting-them-from-their-more-unstable-neighbors-is-simply-a-good-thing.jpg
    el-any-type-of-barrier-protecting-them-from-their-more-unstable-neighbors-is-simply-a-good-thing.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 324
  • y-the-greater-the-chance-jungle-fires-could-spread-to-their-homes-as-this-one-nearly-did-in-july.jpg
    y-the-greater-the-chance-jungle-fires-could-spread-to-their-homes-as-this-one-nearly-did-in-july.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 293
  • the-stream-that-cuts-through-the-middle-of-the-jungle-has-little-water-in-mid-july.jpg
    the-stream-that-cuts-through-the-middle-of-the-jungle-has-little-water-in-mid-july.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 338
  • everything-is-brittle-and-dry.jpg
    everything-is-brittle-and-dry.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 291
  • -local-roads-land-and-parking-lots-it-arrives-through-immense-pipes-shored-up-by-these-sand-bags.jpg
    -local-roads-land-and-parking-lots-it-arrives-through-immense-pipes-shored-up-by-these-sand-bags.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 343
  • though-with-few-other-options-people-still-often-bathe-and-do-their-laundry-in-the-creek.jpg
    though-with-few-other-options-people-still-often-bathe-and-do-their-laundry-in-the-creek.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 343
  • there-is-not-much-residents-here-can-find-for-work-aside-from-collecting-cans-and-bottles.jpg
    there-is-not-much-residents-here-can-find-for-work-aside-from-collecting-cans-and-bottles.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 351
  • or-stripping-wire-for-copper-to-sell-at-scrap-yards.jpg
    or-stripping-wire-for-copper-to-sell-at-scrap-yards.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 352
  • empty-rubber-housings-from-old-power-lines-are-all-over-the-jungle.jpg
    empty-rubber-housings-from-old-power-lines-are-all-over-the-jungle.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 354
  • when-troy-the-carpenter-couldnt-find-work-that-didnt-stop-him-from-building-this-tree-house.jpg
    when-troy-the-carpenter-couldnt-find-work-that-didnt-stop-him-from-building-this-tree-house.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 350
  • this-homeless-mason-used-his-job-skills-to-build-a-set-of-stairs-from-his-camp-to-the-creek.jpg
    this-homeless-mason-used-his-job-skills-to-build-a-set-of-stairs-from-his-camp-to-the-creek.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 300
  • just-days-after-we-visited-the-city-came-through-and-cleared-out-the-jungle-again.jpg
    just-days-after-we-visited-the-city-came-through-and-cleared-out-the-jungle-again.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 300
  • tons-of-trash-was-removed.jpg
    tons-of-trash-was-removed.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 294
  • and-all-the-camps-that-you-see-in-this-story-were-torn-down.jpg
    and-all-the-camps-that-you-see-in-this-story-were-torn-down.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 279
  • y-has-to-do-something-to-address-the-health-and-safety-concerns-brought-on-by-people-living-here.jpg
    y-has-to-do-something-to-address-the-health-and-safety-concerns-brought-on-by-people-living-here.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 293
  • though-officials-know-residents-will-be-back-since-theres-really-nowhere-else-for-them-to-go.jpg
    though-officials-know-residents-will-be-back-since-theres-really-nowhere-else-for-them-to-go.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 304

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
That's pretty crazy. Niether google maps satellite view nor any of the street views show anything there anymore. One old satellite view shows 5 or 6 tents on the other side of the creek from what is shown in this story, but when you zoom in they all disappear.

Street view shows the area is covered in "no trespassing" signs now. Reminiscent of asheville, nc.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver
K

Kim Chee

These people have no "American Dream" delusions. They know better and have decided to live within their means, much unlike their more financially well off counterparts. More disturbing are the millions of Americans who are wage slaves who are paying rent who will never own a home.

I remember when the train used to run in San Jose. When leaving the city heading south, the tracks were lined with side by side camps for a couple miles. I don't remember ever seeing such a large concentration of "self housed" individuals anywhere else in my travels.

ancienttoes

Reaction score
That looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll visit someday if it's still there. Where other people see poverty, I see community. Not all housed up in boxes staring into boxes. The pictures show a lot of creativity and not even motivated by profit. I hope its still there. I just looked it up. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-Spearhead-Improvement-Effort-250246701.html
This was posted just March 2014 about the residents cleaning up things there themselves. Who will pick up the garbage? the capitalists ask ridiculously.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Wow, I've spent most of my life in the Bay, and I've never heard of the Jungle - places like it, sure, but not this one.
Sounds like a desperate place, but wrought with potential!
Some peoples should organize together, clean it up and take it from the city. Start a new slab right in the middle of Silicon Valley! lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads