News & Blogs Largest Homeless Camp In Mainland USA (1 Viewer)

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Hometown
Montreal, Canada
Any one on here live there? or is it still there. Story is a bit dated but enjoyed looking over it none the less.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-jungle-largest-homeless-camp-in-us-2013-8?op=1

WELCOME TO 'THE JUNGLE': The Largest Homeless Camp In Mainland USA Is Right In The Heart Of Silicon Valley

ROBERT JOHNSON

SEP. 7, 2013, 10:52 AM 905,256 82

Attachments

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Hometown
silver city, new mexico
That's pretty crazy. Niether google maps satellite view nor any of the street views show anything there anymore. One old satellite view shows 5 or 6 tents on the other side of the creek from what is shown in this story, but when you zoom in they all disappear.

Street view shows the area is covered in "no trespassing" signs now. Reminiscent of asheville, nc.

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
These people have no "American Dream" delusions. They know better and have decided to live within their means, much unlike their more financially well off counterparts. More disturbing are the millions of Americans who are wage slaves who are paying rent who will never own a home.

I remember when the train used to run in San Jose. When leaving the city heading south, the tracks were lined with side by side camps for a couple miles. I don't remember ever seeing such a large concentration of "self housed" individuals anywhere else in my travels.

ancienttoes

Lurker
Hometown
Tennessee
That looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll visit someday if it's still there. Where other people see poverty, I see community. Not all housed up in boxes staring into boxes. The pictures show a lot of creativity and not even motivated by profit. I hope its still there. I just looked it up. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-Spearhead-Improvement-Effort-250246701.html
This was posted just March 2014 about the residents cleaning up things there themselves. Who will pick up the garbage? the capitalists ask ridiculously.

eske silver

In Disguise
Hometown
Oakland
Wow, I've spent most of my life in the Bay, and I've never heard of the Jungle - places like it, sure, but not this one.
Sounds like a desperate place, but wrought with potential!
Some peoples should organize together, clean it up and take it from the city. Start a new slab right in the middle of Silicon Valley! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Is there an achievement for actually making Mormon missionaries STOP talking to you?
40min outside Portland
i almost snagged the sickest steel toe cat boots just now and freddy LP got me going thru the door ugh. i leaped a hedge and got away.
I swear this guy is my role model right now. If anyone's gonna ride this out with style, it's him.

This guy with a website called "Rustic Cyberpunk", does computer stuff while living in a cabin in the woods.

You'll need a Tor browser to view his blog, though. I won't link it here because it's not a regular link, and I'm not sure if that's okay on here.
MFB
Bored and organizing travel videos.
Alaska <3
I miss being young and indestructible!
Social distancing? Try traveling - whether it is a tramp van, a train or even a bike.
Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.