Knives for the road | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Knives for the road

bryanpaul

Reaction score
seriously my favorite knives on the road are the "Ozark Trail" brand ones from wal-mart...... the folding blade one is $7.88 and i think the fixed blade ones are like 12...cant remember....... but yeah their durable and long lasting and their a fuckin knife that is cheap.....if you lose one or the cops take it or some shit....just go to walmart and get another one......
images
images
0084225603023_500X500.jpg

Reactions: Fatboy and finn

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I happen to have a few knifes that i carry if i go out and about in the woods and what not.

Ka-bar heavy bowie 9inch blade (1lb of razor sharp 1095 steel) can be had on ebay for $50 all day long and its also made just as nice as the becker BK9 and other high end knifes from becker/ka-bar as well as the higher end metal treatment that they use on the $100+ knifes is the same deal.Only downside is it is made in Twain retail on it is $80 and it shows that it really is a quality knife for the buck.Holds a damn sharp edge and a few pass's on a stone can make it scary sharp if need be.

I have taken down 2-4 inch pines with it the swinging power runs right with a small hatchet and doesn't have a problem beating a small hatchet either.It is also a full tang knife,the only downsides to it is the sheath is kinda odd as its a mix of leather on one side and fabric on the other but it does hold up nicely.I do have my own little survival kit in a mento's box with everything i need for 24hrs if im lost and away from my camp.

And the poser-rific bear grylls fixed blade,i have had it for some time and its actually a decent blade for a amateur like myself.But would i put my life on it?Hell no lol that's why i got the kabar lol.But it is a good knife for little things and the on board diamond stone as well as the fire rod is pretty handy.

I do have a few folder knifes but i can't bring myself to use them as they are just so damn flimsy for any true outdoor work and i have spent a decent amount on em.I just hate how even the mid grade folders start to fall apart after 3-4 months of use.And hell that can be dangerous as hell if the knife comes apart and the damn blade goes flying lol.

Florida and Georgia are both open carry states and so are a bunch of others that i can't remember off the top of my head.But you can carry pretty much any size blade long as its in a sheath and in public view.Which i have no problems walking around town with the ka bar or going into wal mart.Its pretty funny the look you get from people yet all you are doing is exercising your rights.Hell even California is a open carry state when it comes to knifes i know there is roughly 4-5 states that ban bladed weapons all together or ban fixed blade stuff at least.

Here's a few links to other states and the laws they allow for knifes.

http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html
http://www.knife-expert.com/sta-law.htm

Cops don't seem to mess with me either they just take a glance then drive away lol.

Call me ballsy or call me dumb i just like pushing things that others don't like to do,someone has to do it right? ;D

180 Degrees

Reaction score
Bear Grylls' Ultimate Survival Knife. Although, not a very cheap priced unit. $50.00 at Wal-Mart. I have used this one now for several months and have put it to the test. Anyway, here it is:
gerber_bear_grylls_knife_1.jpg

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
Cops took an Italian made Inox steel switchblade from me in Arkansas.. It was totally too big to be legal. I was charged with a prohibited weapon until he decided how much he liked it... Dropped that charge and stuck me with loitering... Man, that knife was sweet.. It was from the 50's... My pops bought it off a dude for ten bucks.... Turns out, it was it was quite an expensive knife... A pawn friend of my dads offered 200 bucks...

I sure miss that knife..

K

Kim Chee

I don't feel the need to carry a knife. I'm not scared and there's almost always enough busted glass nearby to do whatever cutting I need to do.

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
bryan paul said: seriously my favorite knives on the road are the "Ozark Trail" brand ones from wal-mart...... the folding blade one is $7.88 and i think the fixed blade ones are like 12...cant remember....... but yeah their durable and long lasting and their a fuckin knife that is cheap.....if you lose one or the cops take it or some shit....just go to walmart and get another one......

...that wal-mart fixed blade is super-light, and if you put a good edge on it it's legit for self-defense.

i'm a fan of the military-style tantos, especially if they have a combo edge. you can chop wood with those things!

Hatta

Reaction score
seriously my favorite knives on the road are the "Ozark Trail" brand ones from wal-mart...... the folding blade one is $7.88 and i think the fixed blade ones are like 12...cant remember....... but yeah their durable and long lasting and their a fuckin knife that is cheap.....if you lose one or the cops take it or some shit....just go to walmart and get another one......

My sheffield looks a bit like that. Got it at fleet farm for under ten bucks and used a dremel to make a couple of mods to it. I don't have a camera or I'd throw up an actual picture of mine.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Any good hatchet suggestions?
545625_324840164246445_100001613918625_963940_1841652931_n.jpg

"humvee" camp hatchet i got off a guy for 20 bucks...it's nice and light, but with that it doesnt have the swinging power of a real hatchet....hahaha again to plug fuckin wal-mart...they have good little camp axes for cheap
also in the pic is a railroad spike knife i got off this guy --> http://www.etsy.com/shop/NorthernCrescentIron

scatwomb

Reaction score
Tah
545625_324840164246445_100001613918625_963940_1841652931_n.jpg

"humvee" camp hatchet i got off a guy for 20 bucks...it's nice and light, but with that it doesnt have the swinging power of a real hatchet....hahaha again to plug fuckin wal-mart...they have good little camp axes for cheap
also in the pic is a railroad spike knife i got off this guy --> http://www.etsy.com/shop/NorthernCrescentIron

Hell yes to the railroad spike knife! And thanks for the hatchet suggestions. I may break down and spend about 100$ on this:

26D2101A.jpg

Reactions: RSTY802510

dprogram

Reaction score
Reactions: bryanpaul
F

Firefly

Mora classic in a homemade leather sheath as a neck knife. 6" kershaw on my belt, both are fixed blade. Keep a cheap ozark folding knife in my pack for jobs that could possibly chip a blade. The kershaw is visible in most situations so it keeps the boogie man away.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Bear Gryllis knife, really? Good thing it has a sharpener on it, because that blade is softer than it should be (like most Gerber blades these days) and you'll need it. I guess you must like sharpening, which isn't a bad thing at all. It's just not a great knife for the price.

Mora knives are cheap, you can get them for less than 20 bones including shipping, and you can use them for light chopping by first making a mallet stick which is a fairly stout stick made of green wood (a multitool saw works nicely for this, or you can chop with the knife), and then beating the end of the blade into what ever you want to chop. It isn't fast by any means, but I don't find it worthwhile to lug around an axe unless I'm using it every day. I'm also not a fan of tantos, they look scary yeah, but you can't carve with them very easily at all, so they aren't too useful.

I'm thinking Bryan Paul is one of the few who have their head on straight. You don't need top line gear, you just need to know how to work with what is easily available. A cheap knife with a sharp blade beats an expensive but dull one. Don't fall for hype and advertising. Knives haven't changed much for the last century at least.[/quote]

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Reactions: RSTY802510

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads