Knives for the road | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Knives for the road

kecleon

Reaction score
I really like multitools ever since I got a hand down leatherman copy.

I spent at one point most of my money on a Victorinox Spirit, probably the best thing I ever bought. It's got all locking tools, knife, scissors, saw, file, pliers, openers, awl, screwdrivers, pry bar, cable stripper, wire cutters.

I've had it around 8 years, and it's come in useful more or less every day. I use it hard, I've dropped it a lot, used it to pry, remove nails, bolts, cut thick wire, but I also baby the fuck out of it, when the case wore out I made it another one, and I sharpen, oil it and clean it whenever I'm bored.

After all these years and a lot of abuse it still looks and works as new. I'm pretty sure it'll last a lifetime, and if not it's got a guarantee that says they'll fix it or give you a new one.

41DNTQG4H2L.jpg

I've also got a real nice Fantoni fixed blade knife, but I can't carry it so unless I'm in the woods it's at home. And I carry a knife for food prep, skinny serrated steak knife stlye.

dacraww

Reaction score
my multitool I got for my 18th birthday and I got the st knives fixed blade for cheap from my buddy who runs the shop. I have a parang but that comes with only if I'm in the woods. And all guns stay home unless I'm in woods long term or I'm staying here in Ohio (I have a chl and carry my charter arms .38).

T

tennesseejed

This is an old thread, but I will still share here because it seems like the best thread for it. This is the "fixed blade" that I like to carry. Passed down from a deceased family member, and apparently super expensive. Got lucky I guess.

Here's the link to manufacturers site, cause my pic is gonna be low quality.

http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/PUMA0174-White-Hunter-P1.aspx#sthash.ved72JmZ.dpbs

Have had it a few years and it's definitely extremely durable.

Reactions: claymation
A

AlwaysLost

This is an old thread, but I will still share here because it seems like the best thread for it. This is the "fixed blade" that I like to carry. Passed down from a deceased family member, and apparently super expensive. Got lucky I guess.

Here's the link to manufacturers site, cause my pic is gonna be low quality.

http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/PUMA0174-White-Hunter-P1.aspx#sthash.ved72JmZ.dpbs

Have had it a few years and it's definitely extremely durable.

That's awesome a beautiful knife...im tempted to buy a Team Gemini Light Brigade if my unemployment ever comes thru...but its a big (illegal in some states) knife. I'd cry if I lost it.

Groundscore

Reaction score
I use the Gerber Gator fixed blade knife, it's lightweight at just over 5 ounces, tough as nails and is built to last.
When it comes to pocketknives I use the Victorinox Swiss Army "Farmer" Pocket Knife.
As for multi-tools, it's hard to beat a Leatherman, a bit pricey, and sometimes hard to pick out which one, but once you do it's a lifetime investment.

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
I don't like the unsolicited attention of carrying a large fixed blade. That being said, the times I've needed a fixed blade I've really really needed them, so nowadays I compromise with something small enough to conceal but large enough to do camp chores or be used in self defense. Currently that's this CRKT SiWi. I scout carry it by my belt buckle, so if I want I can walk around with it hidden under my shirt, but it also doesn't look too wild to open carry.

Attachments

• 20220629_222015.jpg
    20220629_222015.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220628_224925.jpg
    20220628_224925.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 114

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I found out years ago that for me the perfect knife comes attached to a pare of pliers with a bunch of little screwdrivers and can openers and what not. My Leatherman Wave has lasted me a good 6 years now and I have used it heavily. I think the big advantage of the leatherman is that its "not a knife" for most people. Ive had the conversation a few times where someone will say "Ewww you carry a knife. What are you trying to do stab people " With a leatherman I can just laugh and say " Actually its mostly a pare of pliers and I use this little can opener a lot... and the eyeglasses screwdriver I use that thing way more then I use the knife... and its got this little file I can use on my nails." By that point they are no longer scared and have totally lost interest in me and what I'm talking about. So its a win for both of us.

Usagi

Reaction score
I carry a leatherman multi-tool and a small clip-on Gerber razor knife. I rarely use the blades on the multi-tool anymore because the razor knife is easier to get to and does a better job at cutting stuff. I only have to replace the razor blade in it about once every two years. Each razor blade is two blades in one because you can flip it when one side gets dull.

I think I paid about $90 or $100 for the Leatherman when I bought it nearly 10 years ago. It has paid for itself many times over. It's convenient to always have screw drivers, wire stripper, wire cutter, pliers, can opener, saw blade, ruler and many other useful tools on my belt at all times. I've broken one of the blades prying on something in extreme cold. Other than that I've had no problems with it. I could get it replaced for free because they have a lifetime warranty on their tools but I haven't bothered. I haven't like the copies of their stuff as much as the real thing when I've used them.

I can't remember the last time I had to go searching for screw drivers. People are constantly walking away with my small tools. Really useful to have a set they can't steal from me. Both knives go with me everywhere. Whenever I change pants the first thing I do is clip the Gerber to my pocket and the Leatherman on my belt. My pants are always really heavy because all the crap I tote around on my belt. A bonus is they make it easy to blend in on job sites and other places I'm not supposed to be. Everyone just assumes I'm a contractor or day laborer. It has helped me get temp. jobs in the past. When people see all that crap they assume you know what you're doing.

Anyway I haven't ran into any small job that I couldn't handle just using the Leatherman. Sometimes it's more annoying to use it than a proper tool but in a pinch it gets the job done. If I'm doing something like hunting I opt for a more serious/longer knife though. I keep a mil-spec bayonet for those jobs. It stays with my rifle.

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
I carry a leatherman multi-tool and a small clip-on Gerber razor knife. I rarely use the blades on the multi-tool anymore because the razor knife is easier to get to and does a better job at cutting stuff. I only have to replace the razor blade in it about once every two years. Each razor blade is two blades in one because you can flip it when one side gets dull.

I think I paid about $90 or $100 for the Leatherman when I bought it nearly 10 years ago. It has paid for itself many times over. It's convenient to always have screw drivers, wire stripper, wire cutter, pliers, can opener, saw blade, ruler and many other useful tools on my belt at all times. I've broken one of the blades prying on something in extreme cold. Other than that I've had no problems with it. I could get it replaced for free because they have a lifetime warranty on their tools but I haven't bothered. I haven't like the copies of their stuff as much as the real thing when I've used them.

I can't remember the last time I had to go searching for screw drivers. People are constantly walking away with my small tools. Really useful to have a set they can't steal from me. Both knives go with me everywhere. Whenever I change pants the first thing I do is clip the Gerber to my pocket and the Leatherman on my belt. My pants are always really heavy because all the crap I tote around on my belt. A bonus is they make it easy to blend in on job sites and other places I'm not supposed to be. Everyone just assumes I'm a contractor or day laborer. It has helped me get temp. jobs in the past. When people see all that crap they assume you know what you're doing.

Anyway I haven't ran into any small job that I couldn't handle just using the Leatherman. Sometimes it's more annoying to use it than a proper tool but in a pinch it gets the job done. If I'm doing something like hunting I opt for a more serious/longer knife though. I keep a mil-spec bayonet for those jobs. It stays with my rifle.

I agree, leatherman's usually all you're gonna need for anything. I got a kydex sheath for mine so it draws easy and often that's what i'll carry, with a fixed blade in or on my bag. Some of the larger multi tools can cut through chain link fence. They fit in your hand like a roll of quarters so they're good for whomping and you can drop em' in a sock - now you have a fixed blade AND a smiley - if you wanna get medieval, lol. The main thing I've learned is that you're rarely (if ever) gonna need a knife for self defense. If you do, they're statistically much more effective when concealed, so the type of knife doesn't matter much as long as the blade is sharp and pointy and won't slip in your hand.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
ive had one benchmade osbourne, four benchmade pardues, two mikov czech switch blades, two benchmade saddlemountain skinners, one cheapo old country skinner, two handcrafted hunters from greenman forge over in wales, one kershaw ‘leek’ tactical folders, two cheapo ozark folders.. a crappy but nice looking smiths bushcrafter.. all in the last 8 years and i managed to lose ALL of them.

recently went and bought a cheapo ozark bushcraft fixed blade for 10 bucks bc after all the money ive dropped on good steel ive learned to stick to the throwaway stuff. (and yes, thing went missing just a month later)

it is proving humanly impossible to keep a knife. either the pocket clip hangs up on shit and slingshots it out, some bouncer in manhattan keeps it as a tip, it slips out of its sheath in somebodys car, it slips out somewhere on a night train, you forget to put it in your bags at the airport before you check them in, you get arrested and its a “dangerous weapon” in that state, it slips out of wallet pocket on the bus, or it basically just disappears into thin air without explanation. i have stopped buying good knives for these reasons.

almost forgot about that buck i bought back in 2019.. man, i left that thing in the corp yard north of roseburg, id passed out by some junk waiting for my manifest to work. coolest looking skinner i ever owned

bks-b-01?%24product-image%24=&fmt=auto&h=434&w=652.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads