Question just bought a van. any advice?

Pate123

Reaction score
I just shot the moon on a van. Not doing a build, just rudimentary water jug and mattress and curtains. While living in a van is there anything to watch out for, mistakes that you made, or things that you wish you new before you went full send?

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Dmac

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just shot the moon on a van. Not doing a build, just rudimentary water jug and mattress and curtains. While living in a van is there anything to watch out for, mistakes that you made, or things that you wish you new before you went full send?

There is an entire section about this topic. Which you found, and posted in. Please use the search feature/search through the van dwelling threads before posting questions. I can guarantee many of your questions have already been answered in one of the threads.

Especially about just buying a van, and what to do from there.

Last edited:

avadog

Reaction score
Definitely learn some rudimentary mechanics and have a backup plan incase you have to bring it into the shop for a few days. There's always a thousand unexpected expenses that come with it. Either it won't start or you'll blow a tire in the middle of nowhere, be prepared. Use gyms or rec centers to shower, sometimes they have a special low price just for the use of shower facilities. I've seen dollar operated showers near fishing docks too. Get a hammock. Get a bin and biodegradable soap to wash your dishes in. Watch out for bylaw and never admit to living in your van! Depending on where you are, logging roads are great places to camp out and often have hundreds of unmapped/unsused side roads. Good luck!!!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
If you've got the scratch and are anywhere near a pick n' pull I highly recommend acquiring a spare fuel pump, injectors, alternator, water pump, battery, ect... Basically anything that could leave you stranded but can be fixed easily. Getting towed and buying after market parts in the middle of nowhere can get pricey very quickly.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Vinyl to blackout the back windows, I prefer it at least vs curtains, but ymmv

Summer is real rough, much harder than staying in a tent or a house, because you can't always park in the shade and the van heats up fast.
Some fans can help, combined with being proactive about shade

Winter is easy, I have a butane heater that was cheap, works real well and never had ventilation issues, though I would periodically crack a door for fresh air

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Definitely learn some rudimentary mechanics and have a backup plan incase you have to bring it into the shop for a few days. There's always a thousand unexpected expenses that come with it. Either it won't start or you'll blow a tire in the middle of nowhere, be prepared. Use gyms or rec centers to shower, sometimes they have a special low price just for the use of shower facilities. I've seen dollar operated showers near fishing docks too. Get a hammock. Get a bin and biodegradable soap to wash your dishes in. Watch out for bylaw and never admit to living in your van! Depending on where you are, logging roads are great places to camp out and often have hundreds of unmapped/unsused side roads. Good luck!!!

Aye, you really never need to admit to living in a van, unless you are being questioned with probable cause

Even when applying for work, they don't need to know. Give them a fake address, show up clean, nothing to it

Dmac

Reaction score
A simple platform for your bed can make a big difference in usable space. It also makes sitting in the back a little easier. If you are going solo, you can dismount the passenger seat and turn it around. That way you have a good place to sit and chill. It also makes the back seem a little bigger. Good luck dude!

Reactions: Batsy and Pate123

noseyhomeguard

Reaction score
I have lived in vans, trucks, box trucks, ambulance, skoolie .... Out of a pack for years before. You don't need spare parts. Fuses, a good tool set/impact drill gun, jack and a YouTube account... That's all you should plan for. You'll never know what will go out true, but basic mantinence, oil, lucas or techhron fuel additive, rotate your tires & overall normal fluid checks. Pcv valve/spark plugs/ ignition coils usually are easy installs too.
Besides that, minimalist is a great way to be Incase you get a gig where you can use that extra space or if it's time to abandon ship & move on you won't feel so obligated to the vessel. Nice builds are awesome and i reccomend slow and steady, insulation first, max air fan, then solar. That's pretty swank compared to a bed roll & sleeping bag.
Check the vanlife list on here and read up.

Spazz

Reaction score
Aye, you really never need to admit to living in a van, unless you are being questioned with probable cause

Even when applying for work, they don't need to know. Give them a fake address, show up clean, nothing to it

You can get a physical address through a mail forwarding service like Escapees dot com, iPostal1, or Mail Messages and More.

Make sure you understand the difference between domicile and just mail before your tags expire. There's good info at escapees even if you don't choose to domicile in Texas, Florida, or South Dakota.

You have decided to take time out of your busy schedule to go camping and explore America. The bureau of land management and forest service offer many campgrounds, some with amenities such as vault toilets, garbage, and even water, where you can stay for free for up to 14 days.

You have the right to pull over at a rest stop, truck stop, or other safe place to sleep. This is for the safety of everyone on the road. You have researched the laws in the states you are passing through.

You generally try to follow the 3-3-3 rule: don't drive more than 300 miles in a day, more than 3 hours without a break, and plan on getting to your campsite by 3 PM so you have time to set up before dinner.

Other campers may ask if you are a part timer or a fulltimer, but as far as the locals are concerned, you are what is known as a "tourist".

You are good for their economy.

Try to buy local and be prepared to talk about the weather in the state where you are domiciled.

Pate123

Reaction score
Vinyl to blackout the back windows, I prefer it at least vs curtains, but ymmv

Summer is real rough, much harder than staying in a tent or a house, because you can't always park in the shade and the van heats up fast.
Some fans can help, combined with being proactive about shade

Winter is easy, I have a butane heater that was cheap, works real well and never had ventilation issues, though I would periodically crack a door for fresh air

It actually has no windows lol. But yeah, I'm experiencing some issues with sleep temp. I'll definitely look into the fan and butane heaters.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
It actually has no windows lol. But yeah, I'm experiencing some issues with sleep temp. I'll definitely look into the fan and butane heaters.

Someone mentioned insulation, which would no doubt help. AC can be managed as well, but not cheaply so far as I know

Personally during summer I would typically be working indoors during the day, and chilling out in the mountains on days off

It was always a pain, without a good setup I'd rather rent a room from May-Sept, but maybe your circumstances fit better

Reaction score
put SOMETHING under your mattress to prevent condensation and mold even if you don't build a whole frame

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Actually just moved back into my truck, summer shitfuck weather is finally gone. Would really like to find a better way than renting a room to deal with the heat next summer

Probably need to invest in a camper really, with a generator / spare battery, and an ac. Combined with chasing shade

All that can be done on my truck, but none of it effectively because of space limitations and an abundance of tinted windows

Reactions: Pate123

pjblazemore

Reaction score

The best piss bottles are Gatorade or Ocean Spray because they have the wider mouth 😅

bote

Reaction score
I have an Olympian wave 3 heater that I connect propane to. I got an adapter to use the 1 pounders since I’m not using my heater as often since I have insulation

hey, was just thinking about going the 1lb or maybe even 5lb refillable propane route, you mess with those?
I'm wondering what people's experience is with those, if they're hard to get filled or a pain in the neck.

NamelessExistence

I wipe my own ass
Reaction score
hey, was just thinking about going the 1lb or maybe even 5lb refillable propane route, you mess with those?
I'm wondering what people's experience is with those, if they're hard to get filled or a pain in the neck.

U can’t refill the 1lb tanks but I recommend them if ur not gonna be using heat as much. A 5lb refill one would be nice. But remember to consider how much space u have. I only use my heater once it gets to about 22-25 degrees Fahrenheit. But my van is insulated and I run my heat til I’m parked up and that maintains pretty well. I also have a 0 degree sleeping bag so that keeps me pretty warm. If u plan on refilling I recommend the bigger tanks but maybe build a box or housing for it so it’s not moving around and is in a safe spot. I also recommend getting thick insulated socks cause ur feet will be cold during colder weather and it’s annoying when ur trying to sleep and ur feet are cold but the rest of u isn’t

Reactions: Pate123 and bote

Dutch

Reaction score
There is an entire section about this topic. Which you found, and posted in. Please use the search feature/search through the van dwelling threads before posting questions. I can guarantee many of your questions have already been answered in one of the threads.

Especially about just buying a van, and what to do from there.

Every question has pretty much already been asked. There's no real reason for anyone to ever post. Even new members that might want to get in on a topic, their questions and answers have probably already been asked and given by someone else.

Forums are dying anyway. Everyone is over at reddit being snarky af

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@Pate123 im curious to know now, a few months later, how your van is panning out?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads