Internet Privacy | Squat the Planet

Internet Privacy

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not all that knowledgable when it comes to computers, and I was just going to PM a couple people I know would be able to answer my question, but I figured others might be interested.

How can I have a completely anonymous way of communicating on the Internet? Does the device (mini laptop or other wifi capable device) have some sort of signature that can be tracked, or is it only the internet connection. Like, can I hook up to one network, make all my current email/stp contacts etc., then hook up to a different network and work on my anonymous stuff without it being linked to the same device, and therefore linked to me. Or would I have to have a dedicated device solely for anonymity. I guess that would be wiser anyways, but I'd like to know. Thanks for any help!

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to use Tor but honestly it's been years so I barely remember how it works - but I would definitely recommend checking it out.

thesaint707

Reaction score
Website
www.cultureghost.com
There are many ways to achieve enhanced or true privacy and anonymity. Part of it has to do with what one does while visiting sites such as using aliases and alternate emails and log ins etc. I see there is an answer about TOR, a very good service that has the potential to keep you anonymous and is helpful for emails and lite browsing, though they ask that you don't 'hog' bandwidth. I would recommend that you look for a VPN service that runs on OpenVPN (stay away from pptp), of which I helped start a perfect choice, but am not here to sell you specifically. There are many choices out there, I will list some choices later, but read pay attention to the Terms of Service and "True" logging policy. These factors will show you exactly what you can expect from the Company. I would suggest you choose one that warrants they do not log your traffic thereby making you pay for something that obviously doesn't do anything except log your current IP to one of theirs and track your travels. Secondly the TOS will show you what the Company frowns on and what they will do if an alphabet soup agency or other Power that Be 'asks' about you- read carefully. These things will help to provide you privacy and anonymity on the internet, a space that needs to be free.

As promised some VPN company choices are StrongVPN, Cryptocloud, Xerobank, iPredator, Relakks, Torrentfreedom and Perfectprivacy are just a few.

I am happy to discuss this more in detail if you like, hope this helps!

Cheers!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Oh yeah, so how did you find this? It's kind of a trip to me that I ask a simple question about internet privacy on a traveler forum, and someone comes out of nowhere to help out. The Internet is a funny place.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
yup. wait, who are YOU?!?! I saw that funny grin on your face while I handed you a stack of cardboard as you flew past on that Arkansas bound doublestack. Looked kind of like an FBI smile.

thesaint707

Reaction score
Website
www.cultureghost.com
Like I mentioned in the chat, someone from my twitterstream 'spywarelady' posted something on internet privacy. Being in that arena I followed the link and found your post and this site. As a Company, and personally, we support, promote and strive for freedom for anyone we can affect. We are active in providig access to incountry iranians, tibet, China in print as well as trying to covertly open channels elsewhere. The funny part is our freedoms are under attack in the "Free World" as well. Check this clip http://tinyurl.com/yemcquy . Good Luck!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool. I'm glad someone out there is fightin fer all those freedoms they hate us fer ;) Iran definitely needs it, I've met some Iranians who say we don't even realize how divided the country is, how much the younger generation yearns for freedom and that even the reports we get in western media don't sufficiently express the atrocities and oppresion occuring there. The Internet has changed the world, in good and bad ways, fascinating.

hg14

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
hg14p.webs.com
there was a site link from Center for Strategic Anarchy site but the blog is gone now..anyways there was a site to which you could donate 20 bucks and you'd get programs that protect you and shit

if you want an encrypted email then sign up for free at hushmail or check http://www.earthfirstjournal.org/section.php?id=4

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I am looking at you via webcam right now! And I'm charging people to stream that video on demand! Hahahahahah! No more privacy for you!

hg14

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
hg14p.webs.com
here is another form of internet security :

Date: Dec 24, 2009 9:40 PM
Subject: Web Security
Body: Reposted from Riseup.net Bulletin:

Why you should use Riseup. Why your friends should use us, or other tech
collectives, too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two birds recently did a presentation at the People's Summit[1]
celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the WTO protests. We discussed
the dangers of using corporate tools to do organizing work, in
particular, the fact that you don't know what they do with your data.
Thanks to some anonymous comments in a blogger's post[2] about his
research regarding a U.S. mobile phone company's release to law
enforcement of its customers' geographic location information, we now
have some answers.

Large companies have entire departments devoted to dealing with law
enforcement subpoenas and warrants, and the anonymous posters provided
copies of the guidebooks that several large corporations provide to
assist law enforcement with their requests. The leaked manuals include
those for facebook,[3] yahoo,[4], myspace,[5] comcast,[6] and paypal.[7]
Each manual provides helpful hints for law enforcement regarding the
specific data available (some of which may be obtained with a mere
subpoena and without any judicial scrutiny), and even sample request
language to use in different circumstances. For example, according to
the leaked manual, facebook retains information about the IP address of
every computer that accesses their website for 30 days. This means that,
unless you use countermeasures, facebook can know the exact location
where you logged on to your account. Because this IP address information
does not include the contents of communications, a U.S. prosecutor can
seek the information without any judicial oversight.

With a court order, facebook will release even more information about
you. They've even developed an application called "Neoprint" to deliver
a handy packet of information about subscribers, including profile
contact information, mini-feed, friend listing (with friend's facebook
ID), group listing and messages.

There is little oversight of surveillance conducted in the U.S. of
online service providers because the U.S. Department of Justice does not
report the number of IP address requests that they have issued, even
though a 1999 law requires reports.[1] There is also no reporting
requirement for court orders issued under the Stored Communications
Act[8] which governs the release in the United States of all of your
electronic data stored online.

One of the scary things about all of this is that the US actually has
better data protection laws than many other countries. Also, unlike our
comrades in the EU,[9] the US does not currently require online
providers to keep logs, This means that people organizing everywhere
should be aware that if you are using corporate providers, your data is
at risk.

While this information should not be surprising, it illustrates the
importance of supporting alternatives and educating each other about the
risks of using corporate tools for organizing work.

atomicpunk

Reaction score
here is my my great unanswered question "why do people willingly post all of their information on places like facebook, myspace, etc,etc....?" A old fat punk would like to know. i dont have anything to do with those sites because it seems like a giant invasion of privacy.

pinkmist

Reaction score
There is another aspect of internet anonymity that is important and hasn't been mentioned here yet and that is your Mac Address... If you'r online you've got one. It is the address of your network card inside your computer, which cannot be changed through proxying and even using tor it is possible to monitor the input to all the proxy servers and the output of all the proxy servers to determine where a certain computer's address is going. Tor is an excellent tool, but you must also use a mac changer... For ubuntu I use macchanger. I have it programmed to run a script every time I log on. You can also change it more frequently if your more paranoid. As far as windows goes, I can't recommend a good mac changer. Also keep in mind proxy chains will slow down your connection to the internet and in the case of tor significantly so. If your like me you prioritize the instances you need more anonymity to maintain an efficient connection when your not too concerned about being tracked. You can use one proxy instead of tor when you don't need tight security, that way your dns server will be able to resolve websites faster and remember more of the pages you visit and speed up your connection to those pages. :cheers:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads