if you like big cities, BA | Squat the Planet

if you like big cities, BA

bote

Reaction score
Been in Buenos Aires a couple days now and it is good. I want to live here awhile and have been looking at abandoned buildings downtown, havent put any locks on doors yet, but it seems like i should be able to open something up. Anyway, if you are bored and like 15 million+ cities like i do, this might be the answer to some unformulated question.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I really want to visit there in the near future. I have a good friend who traveled through all of central/south america recently and he said that of all the places he wanted to go back to it was Buenos Aires first on the list. Post us some stories or something, would love to hear about it more!

bote

Reaction score
I came across something so good today, riding the "A" line on the metro (here it's called the "Subte", short for subteranneo I think).
The A line is one of the oldest subway lines in the world and still runs cars built in the 20's, seriously unbelievable, all wooden interiors (varnished) with leather handstraps and the windows go down and you open the doors manually, so you can jump off before the train is fully stopped. There are a couple rows of dim lamps lining each car, it's a time machine.

• Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

ocanegra

Reaction score
BA

when you go you should hang around in barrio san telmo, an old part of the city, still pleasant despite of more and more tourism and shops,to eat some empanadas and meet crazy people in plaza dorrego. Thew know how to live is south america with no money. Here you can work in a hostel or sell handmade stuffs in the street if you are in a need. In the near, barrio la boca, you may visit some squats or open a new. when you take a walk downtown, florida street, you will see some events or propaganda flyers from anarchism, antispecism, or lgbt movments.

• Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

bote

Reaction score
wow, that's pretty much exactly what i'm doing, working at a hostel and playing a little in the park, and walking around boca and conception looking at abandoned buildings. I guess i'm pretty obvious, but i don't mind

flashinglights

Reaction score
Good info on the "A" line... BA is on my short list of places to go outside the US... top 3... just rocketed to top in fact, since it's about as easy to reach as Canada now that you need a passport for both... keep posting!

bote

Reaction score
there's a string of abandoned barges and container ships marooned in the Boca canal, unfortunately, an unpleasant smell wafts up from the muddy flats when it's windy. A great place to explore for anyone curious and with a penchant for rust, a great place to squat for anyone with poor or no olfactory sense.

bote

Reaction score
Still here, I´ve had a deal worked out with the owners of a building, they let me build a casita on the roof and that´s where I´ve been living for a few months, but, it´s not a free-for-all type situation. There´s a place I´ve heard about that is communal living called cooperativo Flores, but I haven´t been there. if you are here, let´s hang out, I think I´m going swimming tonight.

bote

Reaction score
i think there was a thread for squat pics but i dont see it so im putting these here. it`s about 3m x 3m, this walls go up and down, there`s a floor for drainage, i spent about 5 months on this roof in San Telmo. Built it all out of the dumpsters, except the raw cotton which cost 15 bucks total. It stood up to some serious winds that brought down trees around the neighbourhood, I attribute this to the mast construction, the roof is actually suspended.

you can see the high tech software i used to build this place in one of the pics.

ethompson

Reaction score
I got to BA about 2 weeks ago to take a spanish course, and my parents are fronting the money for that and the housing that accompanies it. However, it is not punx at all and I see A's everywhere on the walls which makes me pine. I have found one show so far on the 18th with some D-beat/grindcore bands but other than that have had really little luck. Does anyone know of venues or sites or chill hangouts (bluestockingsesque)? I believe that radical students have occupied a school building not too far away, and I tried to talk to them but the one guy I did speak to appeared to be quite busy and wasn't down to chat.

Also, after my course is over I would like to hang out in the city longer and hopefully squat. It would be my first time doing so, which is both exciting and intimidating. Are there established squats in BA? What is the spanish word for squat?

VladR

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here.
I am now in Buenos Aires after crossing all Latin America. I missed my flight back home and now I am left here (for a few weeks at least) with almost nothing. Not a bad place to be stuck in! And good chance to learn Spanish. But yeah... Any info on squats/dumpsters/2nd hand clothes from those of you who have been here?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads