I got a job!!!!!

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey man, I'm not putting down squatting, spanging, or being self sufficient. I'm just saying it's not really feasible in this day in age to live completely independent by yourself without any papers or legal mumbo jumbo. That's not pessimism, that's a fact. Also, what do you call something that lives off the scraps and handouts of others? A bum, leech, parasite, mooch, whatever you wanna call it. We just don't get grief for it cause we do it to complete strangers instead of our friends and family. And tradesman are slaves, we are all slaves in one sense or another, and you have to sell/trade your goods eventually. You'd most definitely have to deal with someone you didn't want to eventually or to terms you where not happy with, that's business. We all have a master to answer to. It's the level of control we allow to be placed upon ourselves that sets us apart. If we didn't answer that call once and a while we'd all be sitting in prison. Regardless you missed the point of my post: DO WHAT YOU LIKE; what ever makes you happy, no need to give some kid shit for being happy he got a job and wanting to share it with the community. I mean for fucks sake the kids got face tats.

And your right this site is SQUAT The Planet, and it is based on squating/alternative housing, (Squat the Planet is a networking forum for travelers of the underground, the hobos, migrant punks, and other alternative adventurers of the world. {from google}) but if you happened to look around you'd notice there's all kinds of people here. Current and past transients, local squatter kids, house kids, random old guys, people from all walks of life man. Lastly, I think people put to much emphasis on train hopping when referring to this site. It's only one way to travel, and it's only one of the forum categories, also if you hop trains your gonna hitchhike eventually.

And damn man, was the personal attack really necessary? I'm 24, not 21. I'm not a fucking pessimist, I'm really much more of an optimist. I'm also a realist (if that's even an 'ist'), and I may be a bit nihilistic at times, but I'm usually pretty happy and I always make the best out of my situation. I just try not to buy into any bullshit and like to keep it as simple as possible. Besides man, you saying I'm a pessimist for saying the we are parasites by asking for money (or telling jokes, flying a funny sign, playing guitar, ect.) is just you assumeing I view parasites negatively. Some sure, but there are some that are beneficial. And the way I view the parasite that is myself and most everyone on this site is beneficial. When your spanging you give every single person that gives you money a boost, a sense of moral righteousness that comes from giving. Plus I'm boosting the economy and keeping alcohol and tobacco stocks up. That's something, eh?

Isn't being a tradesman the same thing as having a job?;)

D

Deleted member 2626

I work when I need to, I'm unemployed in April to travel but when I get back I'm gonna work again, if me and my buddy dont leave again, cuz I like to drive and ride.

cheeses

Reaction score
i got a job havnt spanged in four months and i like it, got kinda sick of asking people that allready have kids and family to support, not saying im not gonna again, but working for my own pay feels good, as a side note when i pan im straght up about what im gonna use the money for if someone asks

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
Ill be cooking at a italian restaurant. before I hit the rails and what not I worked in another italian restaurant.

that is awesome. some of my best memories are cooking in kitchens. i worked the line for years and cooked in all sorts of restaurants. learn as much as you can and its something you can use. i used to travel around and take seasonal jobs in the NE during tourist season. there is something fun about being in the kitchen, getting your ass handed to you with tickets, the atmosphere, the comradery amongst the cooks, 16-18 hr days.... fuck i miss it. if i didnt work for my bro id still be doing this kind of work.

also begging for money from people is not a job. its being lazy and unproductive.

vagabond719r

Reaction score
Personally, I apologize for the bullshitting. I am just trying to strike my point of self sufficiency. I am not against work, more like working for people who don't care. People that'll do layoffs and leave you stuck having to pay bills with nothing. Having a trade puts you in charge, as it should be in our own personal lives.

vagabond719r

Reaction score
All I can say is, Man things have changed. Maybe everything can be infiltrated. If you wanna work, go ahead. If you wanna travel, go ahead. If you wanna say fuck it all, there is no hope, go right the fuck ahead. In any sense, as I grow older, I realize that I am just an individualist, fuck scenes, fuck fads, and fuck trying to go online to talk with people. I'll stick to those physically around me. Good job fighting the system people.

Alaska

Reaction score
Because yeah, everyone who travels/squats/panhandles/busks cares about fighting the system.

Like it has been mentioned before, try to enjoy life. Self-improvement and happiness is different for everyone.

I love to ride, play music, write my shitty little novellas, dive into rivers and lakes, live grim, and philosophize about love, the universe, and how annoying people like you are. I have plenty of radical leanings, as I'm sure most of us do, but it's hard to try and be happy with my life if I just stay pissed at normalcy and "the man" my entire life. I do stupid acts of romanticized activism such as participating in black blocs (not saying they don't do anything, but this is the US), occupying universities, and putting shitty ass banners/wheatpastes up all over the place like some kind of over-compensating douchebag, but hey.

Sometimes I want that goddamn iPod. I want that new video game (Elder Scrolls V? Fuck yeah. Gonna make me a Dark-Elf archer/mage, nukkah). And I want that damn Carl's Jr. Jalapeno burger. Oh, and Catfish from NOLA (my one true love).

You may call it some kind of contradictory identity-crisis. Honestly, that may be half-right (aren't most people in a constant limbo of second guessing themselves?), but really, I just want to be fulfilled. I want to be healthy. And mainly, I just want to be inspired. Fuck the bias. Always fuck the bias.

This has turned into me fucking rambling again, but honestly. Lay off of trying to analyze and belittle other intelligent and well-informed individuals' confirmed pursuits of happiness. It gets you nowhere.

Nelco

Reaction score

FigTree

Reaction score
i wanna say sorry to hear that, but if you're happy about it it's good. but about all that bullshit i skimmed about any work being slavery, it's only slavery if you're bowing down to someone you don't respect/want to work for. working for yourself or someone you feel good about being 'beneath' is not slavery, it's just work. there -is- a difference.

Nelco

Reaction score

Nelco

Reaction score
i wanna say sorry to hear that, but if you're happy about it it's good. but about all that bullshit i skimmed about any work being slavery, it's only slavery if you're bowing down to someone you don't respect/want to work for. working for yourself or someone you feel good about being 'beneath' is not slavery, it's just work. there -is- a difference.

not really

Nelco

Reaction score
congrats

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads