How tough is living in America vs Europe?

T

Tick Dickler

i wasnt sure where to post this, but this looked like the best place.

can anyone here whos been living on the streets in both europe and america tell me the difference? im planning on going to america and just living there/ traveling the place, but i dont really have any experience. im going any way im just gathering info.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
before i go into this, i have to say that in all the time i spent in europe, i never really considered myself "homeless" since at worst i was pitching a tent in the woods outside of a city, but... everything I experienced there compared to living in the USA, and everything I've heard everyone else say about the two...

the usa is RIDICULOUSLY easy to bum around in. far more than europe. i mean, there's just no comparison. a lot of it has to do with geography. the usa is huge, with vast expanses of open ground between cities, which is a lot different than the geography of europe.

this leads to big differences in architecture, which changes how cities are designed, which changes how people live. it's just 1000 times easier to find some bushes in the middle of an american town/city than it is in places like london and paris. of course, the same holds true for big cities like nyc (hard to find a place to crash, and winter months suck) but most other american cities you can find some place to sleep where you're hidden and won't be hassled by the police.

also, being the "#1 superpower" or whatever, the usa is a HUGE consumerist state and one of the most wasteful countries in the world. the benefit of that for you is that there's a lot of dumpster diving to be had, especially in smaller towns without a lot of compactors.

so yeah, this is a really long answer, but the short version is that if you're planning on visiting the usa and bumming around for a few months, you're not going to have any problems at all. it's so easy it's fucking stupid :)

iSTEVEi

Reaction score
I've done both and I found the US way easier.
The real big cities are pretty similar lie matt said, Can be hard to find a spot to crash. But the smaller cities and towns you can just pitch up outside in the woods or somewhere quiet.
Can't really add anything to what matt said.

fotorebelion

Reaction score
Website
labbs.et
Dunno i found that in europe inmost major cities there is squat or radical space.. Its anjoke easy to ride in black on trains or hitchhike.. People ar friendlier or at least easy to find traveler kids.. In my experiance you dont get bothered as muvh fo dumpster diving or shoplifting... Ive lived in europe for years with out money just drifting from squats ..also in the summer there are tons of actioj camps and festivals to meet other peole

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads