how to move out of usa (to south america)

nameless

Reaction score
how could i get into south america? like peru, argentina, brazil, or wherever the coolest south american country is.. could i hitch/trainhop thru mexico into south america? anyone have any experience doing this?
or if you have a boat/plane and are going anywhere but north america and have an extra seat available for some work/cleaning? that would be awesome..
trying to get out of america, but have no money except what i spend on food and weed and beer..any advice on this would be great, i would really like to leave this shit country and start a new life in another country, preferably nothing 3rd world like africa obviously, but australia, south america, asia, europe would be ideal for me, thanks

CrypticCosmic

Reaction score
I think south america you just need a passport to get into their country, pretty sure if you wanted to work you'd have to get a working visa though...I know Australia you need a visa and passport to visit. The visiting visa is good for 3 months and is free...

I'm trying to get out of the country too.. I have a friend that lives in Gold Coast Australia thats going to let me stay with her.. Planning on going at the end of January.. It's just so damn expensive there..

I wanna go to Costa Rica and live on the beach, thats the place to be

nameless

Reaction score
fuck yeah costa rica
i am trying real hard to get some kinda job here in so cal,and save up til around christmas time then head south of the border...was thinking south america would be a good place to settle, but costa rica ive heard many good things about that place too

also, can americans open a bank account and establish an address in mexico, costa rica or any other country south of the border without any problems?

the reason for this is because online poker was made illegal in the US back in april '11 and if i go to mexico that would be a primary income source for me, and i would need a non american bank account to get my money out of there

nameless

Reaction score
Id say get a job and save some money before going down there.

You cant "really" cross by land into South America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darién_Gap

This country has its faults but it sure is cushy Good luck tho.

so i'd have to get a plane or boat to help me get to SA?
i never knew about that but i guess i imagined the rainforest part of the world would be hard to travel in..i'd rather skip the rainforest personally
thanks for that

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
yeah you'd probably be better off just flying down to SA but it would be pretty sweet to travel down thru Mexico then take a boat over.

I had dreams of riding freight down to Central America then hooking up with the South American rails but while researching it i found out about Darien's Gap.

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
im american, living in australia now. ive been here for 7 months. as someone said before, australia IS expensive to americans, becauses our dollar is pretty much the exact same right now, but they have a higher minimum wage and higher price of living. i make minimum wage which is 18 bucks an hour. cheapest 30 pack of beer here is 40 bucks. cigarettes 20 bucks a pack, bottle of coca cola is 4 bucks, etc... but if you get a work visa like i did, which is 200 bucks, you can find a job soooo easily. the economy here isnt nearly as bad as tthe states. i found a job instantly. my work visa is for a year and if you want it renewed you have to do 3 months of work in the country (big deal) after 3 years you can apply for residency. australia is definitely sweet, good punk scene, i liked new zealand more though in terms of people and scenery. but yah, fuck the states, if i have my way i'll never go back

Reactions: Matt Derrick

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Chiming in kinda late, but it's not very hard to hitchhike to South America from the States. I first did it in 2009 and it took me about 3 months to get to Chile. The biggest problem is of course the Darién Gap. But once ya get past that you're fine. Americans need visas for Paraguay, Bolivia, Brazil, Suriname, and maybe Argentina, these days, though when I was there you didn't need it for land crossings...

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
land crossings. gotcha.;)

Last edited:

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Chiming in kinda late, but it's not very hard to hitchhike to South America from the States. I first did it in 2009 and it took me about 3 months to get to Chile. The biggest problem is of course the Darién Gap. But once ya get past that you're fine. Americans need visas for Paraguay, Bolivia, Brazil, Suriname, and maybe Argentina, these days, though when I was there you didn't need it for land crossings...
If you don't mind me asking...how did you get past the gap? In the next few years I plan on visiting South America. I was just curious. Saw some of your threads and they look very inspirational. Cool stuff.

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
If you don't mind me asking...how did you get past the gap? In the next few years I plan on visiting South America. I was just curious. Saw some of your threads and they look very inspirational. Cool stuff.

Hey man, I went to the San Blas islands and hitched on a speedboat. I wrote about it here: http://hitchtheworld.com/2010/02/13...t-and-being-marooned-crossing-the-darien-gap/

Stop by the Amazon when you're down here, come between October and February, we can get druk on the beach.....

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
how important is it to have your us passport doing this; hitching across border, finding work, renting a place etc? would the answer vary from province to province, country to country? your best guesses?

I ask because I had a passport at one point, planning to make my way out of country eventually.. but I, of course, lost it. and there are rumors possibly untrue that they(I don't know who) are now trying to make it near impossible to get a us passport.

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
how important is it to have your us passport doing this; hitching across border, finding work, renting a place etc? would the answer vary from province to province, country to country? your best guesses?

I ask because I had a passport at one point, planning to make my way out of country eventually.. but I, of course, lost it. and there are rumors possibly untrue that they(I don't know who) are now trying to make it near impossible to get a us passport.

Yeah, a passport is pretty important. They of course will ask you at all borders for your passport, and in addition to the physical passport you will also have to have the correct entry-exit stamps. The only exception is if you cross every border illegally, which is I suppose possible but really tiresome and dangerous. I jumped three borders (Mexico-Guatamala, Guatamala-El Salvador, and much later, Chile-Bolivia and vica versa), and while it was pretty exhilirating you really gotta have a passport from somewhere while you're abroad, if you're to keep sane. Your passport, like it or not, is proof of who you are, and your origins. Without it, maybe you will get into some shit and they will just shoot you cause you're just another paperless slob. It dosen't matter whether you're legal in said country or not. You just need some kind of documentation.

For example, I read something years ago about a guy who had renounced his US citizenship and hence become stateless. I can't seem to find it today, (perhaps he was imprisnoed and ultimetly deported to somewhere that was apethietic, which I reckon is the likely scenario) but he had so many problems, always dealing with beaurocracy and embassies as he "sought refuge," -- which I'm sure is the last thing anyone on StP wants to do: beg the government of wherever, to let you in and feel sorry for you.

And seriously -- seeking refuge? An American citizen? As an American expat living abroad I obviously have my problems with the US government, but I could never, in my craziest trip, be able to describe the United States in 2014 as a war zone, or someplace where I would fear for my life because the government is shooting missiles at me.

And seeking refugee status is really the only thing you can do as a stateless person. I know, I know -- I'm kinda digressing but it's along the same lines.... Passportless must have different connotations but still, it can't be much easier.

Getting a passport is not hard, it costs you maybe 200 dollars, and if you're over 18 when you apply it lasts for 10 years and is good for most of the countries in the world. Just do that. And for crissake, don't ever renounce your US citizenship at a foriegn embassy, however tempting and deliciously rebellious it may seem (I myself have thought about it). Not only does it cost more than a passport ($300, at least in Brazil), it also leaves you with nothing -- like when you erase your computer's hard drive...you're not Windows or Mac or Linux....you're nothing, and nobody gives a shit because you can't even open a Word document.

I dunno if there are any conspiricies against a particular type of US citizen getting a passport but I highly doubt it. In fact I kinda think the idea is really ludacris - no offense. Compared to many other countires the US is pretty lax about those sorts of things. Just get a passport. Once you got it things go really smoothly. As for renting rooms, maybe they would ask you for documentation if you were to rent a room in say, Chile. Maybe not in rural Colombia. You can never get a legitiment job without a passport. That being said you can get plenty of illegal jobs with no documentation whatsoever.

But...you gotta have your papers. They're your proof of who you officially are, and without it they can turn you into anybody they please.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads