How to make your own hammock for nothing or next to it. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

How to make your own hammock for nothing or next to it.

Jwils10783

Reaction score
No. That happens to be the one drawback of a hammock. Your sleeping bag will compress underneath you and make you cold from the bottom if it's actually cold out side. The kid who showed me how to make it carries a smaller thermarest which he swears works fine in the hammock and fixes this problem. I'll probably ditch mine for the winter. Or not. I'm staying way south as usual. They are seriously light. Basically just the weight of your biners if you use ripstop nylon. There is basically no excuse not to have one.

You can place your sleeping bag around the hammock (below you) to keep from compressing the insulation, this is very warm and though you need an additional top insulation a small fleece will do the job if its not to cold. For this I use a kids sleeping bag (Thrift store) under me with string tied to the corners that runs up to the hammock ropes.

• Useful
Reactions: Psi em

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
that seems like an interesting idea. do you mean with two sleeping bags? as in one with the top against your back and then slung under the hammock and zipped while covering your top with something else? what this inspires me to do, and sorry if this is what you explained, is to basically put the hammock inside of the sleeping space of the bag. aka use the double zippers that most (better than kiddie/walmart/broken) bags have zip it up around the hammock. then get into the sleeping bag by pulling it up from your feet.

(sorry. this post may not make much sense. i've been doing a bit of the drinking.)

Nyte

Reaction score
I have aquired 10 yards of milspec ripstop parachute nylon, 72" wide, and plan to make at least one as soon as I get some straps. Thanks for the instructions.

smarts

Reaction score
Website
www.bitches.gov
Perfect timing bro. I was just looking into getting or making a hammock very nice thank you.

meathook

Reaction score
just made two of these yesterday and they're the shit! i've always wanted a camping hammock but if you buy them at an outdoorsy-type chain store they can cost over $100. question- where would you go about finding sports canvas? i just used ripstop nylon from a fabric store in my town, but would like a little tougher fabric if i make any more.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I've grabbed the fabric to make these at at least 4 or 5 fabric stores. In my experience if they have ripstop nylon, they have sport canvass. If you are planning ahead and have the means to, try getting your fabric online. It's WAY cheaper and you can get camo patterns and shit.

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I'm glad this shit is useful to ya'll. Just to give credit where credit is due, though, my friend, Ant, is the kid who came up with this design. He tried everything, including sewing and lots of different fabrics and stuff, and turns out the best one is also the easiest and cheapest to make. Lucky for us, eh?

Blacknose

Reaction score
Tying a line from end to end can be quite useful as it makes it alot easier to see whether you've hung it with the "right" amount of slack. ~101" end to end for a 120" hammock is a good middleground to start ime!
Also hanging the foot end higher aids comfort and if you're not doing it yet lie in the diagonal !!

Theres another option for the gathering with a little sewing involved that works great if you have access to machine for some minutes: Just fold the fabric edge on the short end over twice creating a little channel with the edge inside an sew shut. Insert a string (anything works here) (using a wire to pull it through or attaching a paper clip to it to push it ..) .
Push the fabric together pulling the string and wrapping it around this fabric ball once tie off with your favorite knot.
Now you can just tie your suspension to the fabric behing this ball with a larks head =) Other prefer to have this on the head end only and the described W fold on the foot end

PS: avoid nylon (ie. parachute cord) for the suspension it stretches to much

oh and for insulation form below , if you have a look on hammockforums.net there are several descriptions of how to make/modify a sleeping back to hang it underneath

EDIT : first post! hello!

Nelco

Reaction score
thanks
...when i get bored i'll try to make one

wildwerden

Reaction score
is the sport canvas also known as duck canvas? i'm having a pretty hard time finding the sport canvas online, not sure if it is due to the lack of sleep or else.. but if you don't mind, can you/someone link me to some places i can find it online? danke.

Blacknose

Reaction score
is the sport canvas also known as duck canvas? i'm having a pretty hard time finding the sport canvas online, not sure if it is due to the lack of sleep or else.. but if you don't mind, can you/someone link me to some places i can find it online? danke.

I've heard that this chain called Jo-ann Fabrics and Crafts has nice fabrics for hammocks on occasion,and even some wallmarts
then theres http://www.rockywoods.com/ and http://www.owfinc.com/

you sure about the duck? sounds preatty heavy and rough?!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads