How to keep warm in winter with cardboard boxes as a shelter? | Squat the Planet

How to keep warm in winter with cardboard boxes as a shelter?

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm thinking of squatting in the back of this apartment building, its kinda like a backporch, but has has cement floors and there is some cold air that does come in, so was thinking of getting some big furniture boxes to lay in, 2 regualr sleeping bags ( geared to like -30 winter), layer the ground with a foam yoga mat, a wool blanket and probably some newspaper, since i have no money, but i'm decent at finding everthing i need for free, dress myself in layers, a hoodie, parka, snow pants, tuke, gloves. Do you guys think this would be okay? If anybody has any other suggestions to this, please feel free to add. I'm open to learning as much as i can :) thank and have a good day everybody!!!!

Reactions: todd
K

Kim Chee

I'd put at least 4 layers of cardboard down (add another layer in a few days, then another a few days later). The cells in the cardboard are going to collapse if you're large like me. Put your yoga mat on top of that and blankets on your body. If your hips are sore, hopefully a little tossing and turning will fix it. If not, getchya some foam padding from a place that sells/installs carpeting from their dumpster (not the old shit that smells like piss, shiny brand new stuff that smells like chemicals). While you're there, maybe get a piece of thick shag carpet to squish your toes in.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Also, in an unheated building that you believe is safe to set up camp in, *use your tent*, if you have one..
the greatest loss of heat from a living space has to do with the extents of convection, & tent, by very design, limits that in cold weather.

it doesn't even matter if it is an actual tent.. a large tarp strung shelter style, with ends folded in, or blankets blocking will suffice.

depending on what second hand stores or shelters will part with, if you can scrounge up old, reasonably clean pillows or couch cushions, those are good bedding, too.. i would recommend seeing if they might not somehow work with micheal's post, above, if carpet foam cannot be found.

another possibility is to look for old exercise mats.. thrift store prices on all these things vary wildly, so if there are a few around, don't give up until you're sure there's nothing free or reasonable.. some thrift stores leave their discarded furniture by a dumpster, and won't mind if you take things which are usable but otherwise unsellable, if you ask, first.

also, check craigslist for free stuff & curbside alerts..
dunno how much cl activity there is, where you are, but maybe you'll find something..

also.. to keep yourself off the ground, look for an old lawnchair, if a cot doesn't magically materialize..
heat loss to the ground is the main enemy we're talking about, after open air.. if you can bed a lawnchair that's in good working order, it *may* be of use, but i wouldn't put *too* much effort into it.. most of the time the old chairs are fucked up, but a if a good one is gotten, it can be almost as good as a cot.

& one lat also:
don't forget your woodland skills.
if there are evergreens.. firs, pines, hemlocks, etc., these make *excellent* bedding bases..
you'll need a lot, but if they are available, they would be pretty good, well organized & covered with cardboard.. you'll need a machete, hatchet or 16" coarse toothed saw to harvest them effectively, but if you lay them down properly, fronds to the head, branches to the foot & use varying sizes to build the bedding, they'll be fine.. shake them out, of course, & you may even try tying them into a bundle..
if there's some old lumber, you could also just lay it down (no nails, unless you like) to use as a minor frame.

i've haven't slept on boughs in years, but it's a basic piece of knowledge, if nothing else is readily available.

just another thought..

i'm sorry you're in such a rough spot..

i wish there were more than advice that could be given, but if any of these ideas help, we'll definitely feel better..

Last edited:

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
you really need to make sure there is something keeping you off the cold ground the more that is the warmer you will be. if you can try to get honey comb style cardboard, it takes longer for the corrigation to break down and is better for insulating. stay warm and safe.

Reaction score
Also, in an unheated building that you believe is safe to set up camp in, *use your tent*, if you have one..
the greatest loss of heat from a living space has to do with the extents of convection, & tent, by very design, limits that in cold weather.

it doesn't even matter if it is an actual tent.. a large tarp strung shelter style, with ends folded in, or blankets blocking will suffice.

depending on what second hand stores or shelters will part with, if you can scrounge up old, reasonably clean pillows or couch cushions, those are good bedding, too.. i would recommend seeing if they might not somehow work with micheal's post, above, if carpet foam cannot be found.

another possibility is to look for old exercise mats.. thrift store prices on all these things vary wildly, so if there are a few around, don't give up until you're sure there's nothing free or reasonable.. some thrift stores leave their discarded furniture by a dumpster, and won't mind if you take things which are usable but otherwise unsellable, if you ask, first.

also, check craigslist for free stuff & curbside alerts..
dunno how much cl activity there is, where you are, but maybe you'll find something..

also.. to keep yourself off the ground, look for an old lawnchair, if a cot doesn't magically materialize..
heat loss to the ground is the main enemy we're talking about, after open air.. if you can bed a lawnchair that's in good working order, it *may* be of use, but i wouldn't put *too* much effort into it.. most of the time the old chairs are fucked up, but a if a good one is gotten, it can be almost as good as a cot.

& one lat also:
don't forget your woodland skills.
if there are evergreens.. firs, pines, hemlocks, etc., these make *excellent* bedding bases..
you'll need a lot, but if they are available, they would be pretty good, well organized & covered with cardboard.. you'll need a machete, hatchet or 16" coarse toothed saw to harvest them effectively, but if you lay them down properly, fronds to the head, branches to the foot & use varying sizes to build the bedding, they'll be fine.. shake them out, of course, & you may even try tying them into a bundle..
if there's some old lumber, you could also just lay it down (no nails, unless you like) to use as a minor frame.

i've haven't slept on boughs in years, but it's a basic piece of knowledge, if nothing else is readily available.

just another thought..

i'm sorry you're in such a rough spot..

i wish there were more than advice that could be given, but if any of these ideas help, we'll definitely feel better..

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT! :) this helps a lot, I have a few places to couch surf at, but there not the best places, but its better then freezing my ass off outside :)

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Why is everything about the hole?

This world...

I figure I'd pay the troll toll to sit down for a nice Devonshire Creme tea with biscuits and clotted cream.

::pompus::

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads