how bad of an idea would a cadillac hearse be? | Squat the Planet

how bad of an idea would a cadillac hearse be?

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
its 1991 Cadillac Brougham Hearse, 103,000 miles for like 3k. Thinking of getting it and turning it into a camper. Thing is i dont know much about cars. Would this just be a really dumb idea? Do cadillacs hold up well over long distance?

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if people can sleep in their truck with a camper shell, i think you could do a hearse. immediate concerns off the top of my head would be headroom/height and gas mileage.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
Parts will eat you alive in my experience. Cadillacs shit cost a fortune. Sometimes you can get gm part number stuff that is cheaper, sometimes not.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Parts will eat you alive in my experience. Cadillacs shit cost a fortune. Sometimes you can get gm part number stuff that is cheaper, sometimes not.
thats the big one. i figured parts for these things would be expensive. probably couldnt find much at a pull a part either.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Also totally depends on the condition of the car currently. where are you getting it? are you getting it from the morgue, or funeral service r are you buying it from a private owner? a private owner hearse is likely to have a lot more work needing done. if it is a commercial hearse you're likely looking at good maintenance having been done on it and very little actual driving, so the chances of it being run into the ground even after a hundred thirty thousand miles co uhld be low. they might have been really slow miles.... I believe everything stated above is true ish and that means it depends on the year make and model of the car. depending on the Cadillac engine and trans that's in it you may able to swap gm parts pretty ez. You may need Cadillac parts... it's worth looking into for sure. Personally I had a friend who owned the black blacked out hearse it had huge bull horns and skull attached to the front grill the windows were blue not black it was raised just a little and it sounded Epic he used it as a family car it's a dream of mine pimp one out and do a home. But my family owns Auto Parts salvage yards and I'm a mechanic and construction worker and that s*** comes easy and cheap for me

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Also totally depends on the condition of the car currently. where are you getting it? are you getting it from the morgue, or funeral service r are you buying it from a private owner? a private owner hearse is likely to have a lot more work needing done. if it is a commercial hearse you're likely looking at good maintenance having been done on it and very little actual driving, so the chances of it being run into the ground even after a hundred thirty thousand miles co uhld be low. they might have been really slow miles.... I believe everything stated above is true ish and that means it depends on the year make and model of the car. depending on the Cadillac engine and trans that's in it you may able to swap gm parts pretty ez. You may need Cadillac parts... it's worth looking into for sure. Personally I had a friend who owned the black blacked out hearse it had huge bull horns and skull attached to the front grill the windows were blue not black it was raised just a little and it sounded Epic he used it as a family car it's a dream of mine pimp one out and do a home. But my family owns Auto Parts salvage yards and I'm a mechanic and construction worker and that s*** comes easy and cheap for me
looks to be private owner but the vehicle looks clean, although im sure that doesnt ammount for much. i got a buddy who builds drag trucks to come with me to look at it. the back still has the mounts for holding the coffin.

sounds like i got a good bit of research to do.
that black caddy sounds sick, would love to do somethin over the top with this thing

Attachments

• 00l0l_4z7xvb2cFEE_600x450.jpg
    00l0l_4z7xvb2cFEE_600x450.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 00707_igIXHrak0dT_600x450.jpg
    00707_igIXHrak0dT_600x450.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
When you test drive it drive it like you stole the motherfuker

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me man I would buy it if I could. It would be stealth af if kept the outside original and it looks to have lights on the insied so moving them in a remodel would be ez. I say go for it. Especially with a mechanic friend around...

Reactions: MetalBryan

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked again at those pictures wood floor curtains already that Cadillac emblem on the side wall daaaaamn..... just saying make it livable take out those metal things on the floor but the inside sick as it is

D

Deleted member 23824

3k for that is chump change, I’d buy it in a minute if it was closer. I’d love to pull my hotdog cart up to a gig with it.

If you can talk him into a long test drive, say an hour, him driving plus you and your mechanic friend, freeway and city, hills, etc. - you’d shake down any immediate problems. A close friend can bring you up to speed on basic maintenance skills to save money. Its’ 109,000 miles were sure to have been easygoing miles, but if the owner has any service records, that would be great. I say buy it, you could convert those soft boxy rails into storage shelves, hell it looks big enough to divide the back into two separate rooms!

Last edited:

Rjratfink

Reaction score
Cadillacs are usually pretty solid vehicles. However parts will be expensive to replace. But another plus side the fact that they're super easy to work on I'd do it if I had the money and a license lol

Reactions: GhostWithTheMost

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads