HOLY SHIT, SPIRIT AIRLINES! $9 F[L]IGHT CLUB TO S.A.!

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Okay. So, I was just entertaining myself, as I have a voracious tendency to do, by sitting on travel message boards - 'cause it's ALMOST as fun to sit in suburbia, than to actually be on the RoAd. But ANYWAYS!! Somebody on Lonely Planet said that there are very, very cheap flights from Ft. Lauderdale, generally, to anywhere in Central and Southern America via Spirit Airlines. So, I go to Spirit airline website to check this out. And holy SHIT, guys!! They have this glorious club, called the $9 flight club! Granted, you have to pay $60 to get into this 'club' of theirs, but then!! You can apparently get flights, for $9! All over the place! (Well... $69, really, but... STILL!!). I'm sure there's some catches; not all of the flights qualify, but they have this nifty little search feature that allows you to compare days, and differences in prices. Even their regular flights aren't too bad, as long as you're leaving from Ft. Slaughterdale; Guatemala City and the like for $109. Not too bad, not too bad at all, I say. Anyways, here's the link:

https://www.spirit.com/StaticFareClubEnrollment.aspx

Can you tell I got a little excited? Yes, yes I did... I know we're all supposed to be like, crusties and oogles and doodles and goggles and trainhopping, hitchhiking extraordinaires, but sometimes, man... flyin' ain't half bad, except security can SUCK IT. Anyways. Take care, nowz.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if i wasn't disasterously broke, id go to SA for a while. especially for that price. kinda curious what the catches are though.

what travel sites do you usually cruise around?

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Nice. That's fuckin crazy. If only I still had my passport and no warrants.

Right? Yeahhh, I've gotten busted for pot a couple times, along with other stupid shit, but no warrants... 'S shitty and ridiculous, the world we live in. Did they take your passport, or did you lose it, if you don't mind me askin'?

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
if i wasn't disasterously broke, id go to SA for a while. especially for that price. kinda curious what the catches are though.

what travel sites do you usually cruise around?

Primarily this one; it has the types of travel closest to my heart (the broke-ass kynd!) :) You've put together a thing of true beauty, Matt, and I totally congratulate ya! I remember when I first stumbled upon this place, yeeaarrrss ago... I sometimes check out travelpunk.com, but the flavour is quite a bit different, there - lots of good, useful, and well-traveled folk, though. Digihitch - digihitch WAS alright, but I'm not sure what they're doing now; it almost seems (when they get the thing back up) that it will be a pay-to-use site, but I could be completely wrong on that. Just a strange impression I'm getting. What else.... hitchtheworld.com, if you want some inspiration for going to S.A. 'disastrously broke.' Hehe. There's a plethora of things, none of it helping to abate my wanderlust in the least!

im sure its only 109 toget here too. great.

Where are you at, Davey?

daveycrockett

Reaction score
im upset about the people coming to the island and overpopulating taking jobs and money from locals and sending their money home idont know where you are from but its a problem here. every kid born here is now a citizen overpopulating the schools and none are paying the taxes (homeowners school work) just coming in and using shit up not giving a fuck about any community they are in just to work stay illegally. i understand everyone came here from somewhere but not like this not in this time. shit is fucked up here thats why i say great wonder why its so fuckin cheap to south america probably because of the volume of people using this trans. ill post some pics of the local stores and 711s 15 yrs ago there were none now there are 50 75 people in the morning at just one place thousands and thousands are staying and working, not good. ido labor work the same job for 16 yrs its all spanish working around me im the only guy left here doing what ido basically,really. I build clay and asphalt courts and mason. there are some masons but... there are even people protesting the fuckin hoardes of people on the street in the mornings it is a real problem.

D

Deleted member 20

I know a guy who uses Sprit all the time domestically & twice a year internationally. He said that he signed up for there Credit card & recieves great deals. I was getting multiple emails a day from them & I havent even used them yet so I unsubscribed to limit my emails i gotta delete.

roughdraft

Reaction score
i haven't messed with Spirit's fare club but this is what i did if y'all wanna know a cheaper way to get to wherever in Sudamerica

BWI (Baltimore) TO LIM (that's Lima, Peru) I got a ticket (plus one bag, carry-on @ 40 or 50lbs) for 201 (171 + 30)
<included a layover in FLL, Fort Lauderdale/Miami airport so if you are closer to there or wanna hitch or maybe even greyhound there you may also save money this way>

then me personally I wanted to go to SCL (Santiago de Chile) so I used Sky Airline (A Chilean airline) and got a ticket for like 90, plus my bag was I think 15

So one-way from Baltimore to Lima to Santiago de Chile for 306

not too bad in my humble opinion

----

Spirit also flies directly to Quito, Bogota and some others. Some of these are hubs so maybe the cheapest way to get to Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, etc.

I don't think any are so accessible with such variety of connections as Lima but your research may find different options

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads