hitching through texas

tagvolatile

Reaction score
egh, got a ride from mississippi to San antonio where I ended up driving half the way, half asleep. After that, got a sketchy ride, left out in Farfellas, or something, south texas was a shitty experience. Though the flowers were beautiful between Alice and San Antonio.. Got freezing at night, mid march.. All together, I was glad to get out of there. It's just so vast, but I liked the west side of it better for the scenery. Goats and the like. hmm if you get dropped off in another big city in Texas, it can be tough to get to a decent on ramp, the cities there are busy as hell, from what I could tell. And I'm not sure what advice I can give.. on ramps to I-5 during the day, if you meet a trucker named Don L., owns a pit bull, decline the ride.. truckstop at night..

DavieJones

Reaction score
Ive hitched through texas a couple times, and ive mostly written it off. Not so much hitchin as it is hiking. I get kicked out of every truck stop lickity split and theres no fucking on ramps in the god damn state.

I dunno, i guess ive had mostly good luck. I made from Austin to OKC in 4 rides just the other day, one entailing a Lot Lizzard pimp and his whore wife for 200 miles.

But yea, expect 104 by 9 am in the summer, and walking miles and miles before any weirdo picks you up.

tagvolatile

Reaction score
egh, got a ride from mississippi to San antonio where I ended up driving half the way, half asleep. After that, got a sketchy ride, left out in Farfellas, or something, south texas was a shitty experience. Though the flowers were beautiful between Alice and San Antonio.. Got freezing at night, mid march.. All together, I was glad to get out of there. It's just so vast, but I liked the west side of it better for the scenery. Goats and the like. hmm if you get dropped off in another big city in Texas, it can be tough to get to a decent on ramp, the cities there are busy as hell, from what I could tell. And I'm not sure what advice I can give.. on ramps to I-5 during the day, if you meet a trucker named Don L., owns a pit bull, decline the ride.. truckstop at night..

I-10. my bad.

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
I bet, if your avatar is really you, then of course everyone is nice, lol....(them thar hicks LUVVVV them a young purty girl, lol) I had added a post in here a while back and then remembered that Orange Texas was a freaky ass town to us. The sheriff insisted that he drive us to the best camp spots and even gave us money for food, then scared the shit out of us telling about a torso they found up the road a bit...I lovingly call Orange, Stephen King Fun LAnd...

i ran into him years ago he was cool but freaky But at least he told us if you sellp here no one will bother you Was it buy the forest service office the campspot ?

l

simpletoremember

Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Website
myspace.com
its n0t t0 bad in san antni0 theres al0t 0f c00l kids 0ut there they have a g00d f00d n0t b0mbs there and thse kids are way chillen
Is the o button on your keyboard fubared?

I never hitched in Texas I took the ShameHound (Greyhound) back from New Orleans to Flagstaff and the one of the buses was numbed 0666. Everyone was freaking out. There was a lighting storm and everyone thought we were going to die, I just sat back while I listened to Pain of Mind by Neurosis on my headphones.

Also my friend and I had an idea to make bummer stickers saying 'Messing with Texas' and place them on every car with a Texas license plate while traveling.

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
I just passed through Amarillo Texas the other day by greyhound, when we were leaving town I saw a guy with his dog trying hitch east from one of the on ramps. Due to some driver bullshit we ended up having to turn around and go back to the station. When we were finally leaving Amarillo again close to an hour later the guy had his dog and his gear and was walking back down the ramp looking pretty frustrated. Amarillo does not look like a town you want to be stranded in, like god took a piss on it, but the townspeople never bothered to clean it up.

That bus ride from Texas to Oklahoma was pretty fucked up too. Psycho driver picking fights with passengers and stressing an old Mexican woman out so much she started vomiting and having chest pains, when we finally got to Oklahoma City one of the passengers called the cops and our driver was arrested for a DUI. Fucked up.

Russ T

Reaction score
I hitched through Texas in 3 days. Had some trouble heading east out of Houston on I-10 but other than that it was pure and simple. Got some weird rides but met some real cool people too. Maybe I just got lucky. I posted up at a flying J just outside Houston with a sign and got picked up within minutes by this girl who took us all the way to NO that night.

Tadaa

Reaction score
never had that much problems in Texas.. hitchhiking back roads is pretty good.. highways are nice too
apart from Dallas which took me a full day to get out, i love texas for hitchhiking.. nice people, and interesting countryside (depending on where you are tho haha
also around the border with Mexico it's a little harder..

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Lets see how this goes, Tomorrow start hitching from Dallas to Austin, Stop off in Austin to see the new space shuttle, then of to houston to see my home girl get married.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
So far this place is not too bad. Alot of people giving out food, money, VODKA! that was cool, rides havent been too hard, Houston to Austin took about 5-6 hours to catch ride(HOT!). But I still had that vodka. Dallas to austin only took me hour 1/2 for ride. But HOT, HOT, HOT everywhere! Been REALLY lucky on rides.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads