Hitching through Tennessee | Squat the Planet

Hitching through Tennessee

Xyndr

Reaction score
Alright, so me and my partner made good time getting through alabama. We were about 10 miles from the Tennessee state line when a state trooper pulled off and told us it was illegal to hitchhike in Alabama. We got lucky and he just gave us a ride to the first exit in Tennessee. I asked him if he knew what the laws were like here and he said he didnt know but that id want to find out "cause they will take you straight to jail here"
Clearly that got me pretty nervous about our travel plans. I tried looking up the laws here and its all pretty vauge. I really want to be certain before we start trying but also i have no idea what we would do other than hitch. Any help, advice or resources would be greatly appreciated!

noothgrush

Reaction score
So your coming in around Chattanooga? Eastern Tennessee wasn't bad hitching. Not super easy though either. I never had a problem with the cops there (hitchhiking). Stay on the grass. I doubt they will bring you to jail. The cop was just trying to deter you from hitching.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Been thru tenn a few times: never had problems with the cops. More so locals. Just keep a clear head and try to stay on the DL. Also if you're coming north I'm in cincy hook ya up with a place to crash brews and pizza: stay safe.

Hitching laws r always vague: unless you see a sign posted just claim ignorance politely ha

Xyndr

Reaction score
We are in Admore right now. Some barely existant town right on the state line. Its exit 1 on I-65

Cam3J

Reaction score
We are in Admore right now. Some barely existant town right on the state line. Its exit 1 on I-65
I'd hangout near that huddle house/gas station and fly for exit 22. Just double checked. 2 truck stops there. I used to live on the last exit right there in Alabama. Hitched that area plenty times, always caught my rides to Nashville in Athens, AL. (About 10 miles before the state line) lol

• Useful
Reactions: Xyndr

Xyndr

Reaction score
Sweet, we are sitting in that huddle House right now to charge up. We were on the north side of Athens when the stateboy picked us up lol. We were thinking of trying to walk up to the Tennessee welcome center, would we be better off here?

Cam3J

Reaction score
Can't really say. If it was me, I'd hangout at the gas station with a sign leaned up near my bag "exit 22" and just chill and watch YouTube videos. There's really not shit in Ardmore. Tough spot. That huddle house got some killer burgers tho

Reactions: Xyndr

Maki40

Reaction score
I've found that people seem to enjoy fear mongering... especially cops. I listen to what people have to say, but end of the day I go with my instincts. Also, i believe its good to do slightly dangerous things anyway. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Xyndr

Reaction score
Yeah i feel you on the instincts bit. And i too like to live dangerously. I wouldnt be too worried about a couple nights in jail if it werent for the pup. She would be lost without me. Good news is we made it to the Love's in White House, just north of Nashville no problems. Someone also kicked us down $100 so we got a hotel room last night. That was very nice lol

Reactions: Cam3J

Cam3J

Reaction score
Shut Up and grow it is a nice traveler friendly community in Lafayette, TN not to far from Gallatin. I always recommend it for people near Nashville. Really great people there. You can find them on FB as 'The Garden'.
8967 Galen Rd, Lafayette, TN

Zephyr1024

Reaction score
Well Xyndr and I are now in Seymour, IN. Had someone nice enough to pick us up in Elkton, TN and drive us here. Now it's just figuring out what the best plan of attack will be to get us from here to Kalamazoo, MI. Gonna have to try and figure out the best way to stay warm tonight since it's pretty cold here. We have definitely been making better time than we thought we would.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads