Hitching the West Coast 5 or 101?

Skidkidfox

Reaction score
So I am going to be hitching down to the slabs soon for the jambo and I was wondering which highway would be the best one to take? I want to be near the ocean and stuff but I also want to see as much cool stuff as possible. So, weighing the options, what are some good things about either one?

Reactions: Mankini

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's literally no contest. hitching the 101 is not only muuuuch more scenic but you'll get more frequent rides. and it's a highway, not a freeway so you can hitch on it and get more traffic.

the 5 is just freeway (so you're stuck to on ramps) and boring and gross. i've done both several times, and the people are always way cooler on the 101.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
So I am going to be hitching down to the slabs soon for the jambo and I was wondering which highway would be the best one to take? I want to be near the ocean and stuff but I also want to see as much cool stuff as possible. So, weighing the options, what are some good things about either one?

The 1, or ''PCH''. Soon as you get to Oceanside you can head east on the 78 and thatll take you almost directly into camp. :) Best beaches in the world, all the way from Canada to Mexico.

Hylyx

Reaction score
Yep, I'd suggest the 1 as well. Super close to the ocean, people seem chill, etc etc.
Nothing good about trying to hitch the 5.

Skidkidfox

Reaction score
sweet guys, thanks! That is pretty much what I figured but I didnèt know that the 5 was a freeway..we dont really have those in canada so that will make things interesting i guess hahah

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Skidkidfox , if you can make it to the San Francisco Bay area by the 18th - 19th, I'm meeting up with @creature , and we're gonna convoy down to the slabs. I've got a van that I plan on converting into a clown car on the way down there, and you're welcome to squeeze in if you'd like!

Btw, it's an open invitation for as many people as I can fit, and if anyone else has a vehicle & would like to join the convoy, hit up myself or Creature for details! ::eyepatch::

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly.. we're doing the coastal route from San Fran to Cambria, then cutting east back to 101 or I-5.

Tude (one of the Mods i'm sure has said hello to you) & i are rolling down with Viking & crew.. Tude & I will be in a small pickup, carrying backpacks & supplies, while V. will haul whoever he can clown-cram into his rig..
i hear he has a large, voracious Jovian with him, that is actually rather kind.. ; )

in any case, this excursion is confirmed, jinxes be damned, as we are, perhaps, their very offspring..

now, as i was typing the following:

"depending on how much time you have, where you are, & how far down you're going, look at the coastal routes in WA, OR, & northern california, also.. see about craigslist & if there are any other female travelers driving the route," it dawned on me; "or.. or yeah!!! rubber trampers!!! Viking!! you said you're heading north, right, heading down from.. WA or thereabouts?"

so frankly, i would powwow with Odin's Chosen Mortal, & see about a co-piolot assist ASAP..

it would be a ***heck*** of a great adventure..jeesh.. i dunno where he'll be, but there are significant fuel resources, so definitely work something out with him, on the US side, if possible..

I WANT TO HEAR YOUR FIDDLE!!

i don't play anything, but yer clearly serious enough to hold good knowledge which can be converted into Joy..

definitely connect, & help us Roll into the Counter State, in Force ; )

peace, Sis,

J

Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah jeez, I didn't even think of that! ::facepalm::

I'm currently in Northern California, near the city of Redding.

I plan on finding some work (in the process of looking, but haven't found any yet) until about the 16th/17th, then hauling ass to Reno, Nevada because the booze is cheap there, and I wanna bring some to donate/share with peoples.

Then, I'm gonna haul even more ass (I've got plenty, don't worry) out to San Francisco to pick up my brother & his fiancé, then head down the coast a bit to meet up with @creature and make our way down to the slabs.

@Skidkidfox , we might be able to meet up whenever you get down to northern cali, and then we could just road dog it until after the Jambo! ::drinkingbuddy::
::eyepatch::

• Sad
Reactions: Skidkidfox

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
if you like the ocean, and especially redwwwod trees, fuck I-5 in california (in oregon it's legal to walk the interstate) so i'd suggest 101 or 1.

i'd only do the 1 if ya got some grub or money for it cause the towns between ft bragg and stinson beach are all small as fuck so no spange at all.

Skidkidfox

Reaction score
@creature @Viking_Adventurer saweeeeeeet!! I will definitely keep in touch with y'all and letcha know where I'm at and stuff. I'm hoping to be in the states this coming week, bu we will see cause fuck trying o cross the border with my dog (he doesn't have one of the required shots) but it should b no problem, and if i turns into an issue I'll probably just try and walk across. Bu either way, I'll send you a message when I'm in Oregon or something!

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads