hitching for the lone female?

jellinorr

Reaction score
Hey, I'm Joy, I have a whole colony of ants in my pants and I need to get out of Florida, but anytime I've traveled it's been with a partner and I can't seem to find one. soooo I'm gonna travel by myself, but I thought I might check here to see if any more experienced hitchers/hoppers have any advice on a female traveling alone..

Eadoin

Reaction score
where are you headed?

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
It really all depends on you. Being a sinle attractive female, you're gonna get a lot of attention and a decent amount of that attention isn't necessarily gonna be welcomed. You have to be a good judge of character and handle yourself very directly and carefully. I know clean cut college girls who hitch solo every summer and almost never seem to have sketchy experiences, but at the same time, I've met cracked out ugly street girls who have a million attempted / successful rape stories.

What I told my friends little sister the other day was "if you're unsure enough about it to be asking questions, you're probably not cut out for it." Basically, confidence is everything.

Wolf

Reaction score
Santana knows whats up.

Granted I'm not a lady but when dealing with potentially dangerous people there are a few basic rules you should follow.

1.) Be polite even if the person is not dangerous you never know what they could be going through, and people can snap. Most likely you wouldn't get what you wanted that way anyhow.

2.) Be firm, confidence will give the impression you are someone who can handle yourself, and by showing no fear it make it seem as if you could defiantly defend yourself if need be.

3.) Don't talk politics too much, you may not have to be as closed as you would talking to the police, but peoples passions run very high when it comes to politics and you could turn a friend into an enemy if you aren't careful about that. Wait until the other person brings his/her political preference out in the open before you discuss yours, and if need be just nod your head. A stranger may take debate as an insult, especially when they are trying to help you out (pride is a silly thing).

4.) Do have something to protect yourself with, mace would be a good idea to have with you and if you don't have anything analyse your surroundings, this is something aggressive people tend to fail at doing, making the world around you one big baseball bat. I have never lost or got myself seriously hurt from an aggressive person because of just this.

and, you can always try and make yourself look like a boy :p. Oh and if anyone asks, you have STD's. Sounds silly but if they think trying to sexually assault you will leave them sick they would be less likely.

Remember that it's fairly simple to get a good idea of a persons level of danger, just pay close attention to the way they hold themselves and the way they speak.

Also do not start anything with any body, and if some group of yuppie juggalos start cussing you out or whistling don't bother with it unless you absolutely have to.

• Useful
Reactions: Aneles

Eadoin

Reaction score
i was thinking of trying to get to that but i dont think ill make it, i have other places to go first. has the exact date been set?

jellinorr

Reaction score
not that i know of, i am told it starts in july.. i'm real excited, actually, i just went to the one in ocala this past february for the first time, with a broken arm, a shitton of aggros, and a shitton of rain. can't wait to enjoy it to the fullest healed and healthy :)

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i met a couple girls once who had a good lil trick.... when somebody pulls over, before you get in, ask 'em if they care if you text message their plate number to a freind just for safety reasons...they said usually you could tell right away if anybody even had a hint of creepy or bad thoughts goin on and could decide to hop in or not....but yeah seemed like a good little routine...the funny thing is that their cell phone didnt even work.....

• Useful
Reactions: Aneles

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
i met a couple girls once who had a good lil trick.... when somebody pulls over, before you get in, ask 'em if they care if you text message their plate number to a freind just for safety reasons...they said usually you could tell right away if anybody even had a hint of creepy or bad thoughts goin on and could decide to hop in or not....but yeah seemed like a good little routine...the funny thing is that their cell phone didnt even work.....

That is a good practice.
I still occasionally get picture texts from Meghan of license plates.

christianarchy

Reaction score

I do this almost every time I hitchhike, but usually don't let the people know, just save it in case things get weird and if I gotta show em the sent msg I will. But asking to text their plates isn't a bad call either, you could get a vibe for the ride before you're even in the car.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads