hitchin across mex no money | Squat the Planet

hitchin across mex no money

boots

Reaction score
well this will be myfirst post though I have been a member for some time. I am currently in mex. I flew to cancun and then hitched to tulum(a.k.a.paradise) there I met a local senorita. she was nice and we hung out for a couple of days. then I went to belize(best rum on earth) to do some work for a friend. was there 1 week then went back to tulum. this is where my trobles started. well my return flight was at 6:15 a.m. so I went to the bus station around 10p.m. the guy said there was a bus leaving at 1:55 a.m. and arriving at the airport at 5:30 perfect. well the bus never showed. I missed my flight, non-refundable non-transferable. well tanya said come work for me for a few days and I will give you 75$ so I worked for 3 days, digging holes, pouring concrete. when the job was done I asked for the pay and she started screaming about how un-grateful I was and that if I didnt leave she would call the police. so I left. only 140 pesos(12.50$) to my name. I have made it as far as veracruz. I have been givin about 200 pesos so-far by amazing mexican people and also some food. I slept on the streets of down town veracruz last night and to my amazement I didnt have any troble. I will be hitching up thru monteray and cross at nuevo laredo. my next post will be from the states so it might be awhile.

anything is possible. wish me luck guys,
Boots

FigTree

Reaction score
duuude what a piece of shit i'm sorry you got fucked over like that:( but it sounds like you're having quite the adventure man! looking forward to hearing more of your journey.

AnarchistRon

Reaction score
Real rough. Good luck buddy.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Stick to the coast. I guess you might not read this, but hitching the main highways in mexico is shit. go to the beach, find a pair of board shorts someone left, ditch most of your shit, and try to look like a surfer just wanting to go 40 km to the next beach. you should be able to make it all the way across mexico in a few days time. Also it usually easier to "find" tourists money, and food (gorwing or dumpstered) at beach towns.
Good luck however you make it-

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Dude this is the shit we call life...enjoy it really...all life's wonderful lessons wrapped up in an epic journey, nothing better!

boots

Reaction score
hey guys well I made it. it took me six days to hitch the entire coast. one of my people sent me 100us when I was in veracruz. you can take the collectivo(bus) about 20-40km a ride for 7 to 13(.60-1.20) pesos a pop.so I did that. then I hitched and caught a ride with a truck from cerro azul to the border at reynosa. In cerro azul I slept in front of the ado station (bus).at about 2-3 in the morning a group of drunk mexicans woke me up to say hi. 2 men and a really fine woman. the guys turned out to be gay and were trying to pick me up. after they realized that I was straight they tryed to sell me the girl. If I had had the money I totaly would have done it cuz she was super friendly. oh well. I slept on the streets of downtown veracruz and didnt have any trouble. o yea I forgot to mention before that I speak no spanish. made things interesting. anything is possible.
peace and much love guys,
boots

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
Belize DOES have the best rum on earth, at least the parts of the earth that i've experienced. :) Whooo! I miss the Beliken, as well - I'm not much of a drinker, but I would have 4 or 5 a day, just cuz they're AWESOME!!

Awesome story - this is always one of the vital and glorious things about Road Stories - when things go wrong (and they often will), the ability to 'wing it' and make do with what you have can often lead to even MORE amazing adventures and lessons... Glad ya made it safely (and yes, Tulum is beautiful as well); I miss that land sooo much...

Namaste, Blessed Be,
~ melissA

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads