Hitchhiking in the Cold | Squat the Planet

Hitchhiking in the Cold

GremIin

Reaction score
Any tips on what to bring when hitchhiking during the colder months? Snow is starting to melt, but I don’t want to wait much longer before taking off again. Looking for tips/tricks on how to avoid frostbite and the necessary equipment so i dont end up with hypothermia. I feel like im pretty good on gear (warm sleeping bag, sleeping mat, hald decent tent, stuff to start a fire and some winter clothes) but i could always use extra advice.

Reactions: TayNZ

noothgrush

Reaction score
Just wear layers with a polyester or nylon base layer. Get some of those emergency heat conductor blankets from Walmart and set one up behind you like a tarp. Build your fire. You'll be almost too warm. I have been camping at night in northern Maine for a month now. You could also make a snow cavern in the side of a snow bank. It will never go below 32 degrees.

Oddman

Reaction score
If you have bigger rocks near by, grab a couple, allow them to heat next to your fire, dig a hole, bury the rocks, pitch tent on top - it's warm, cozy, winter magic!

Or even, if you let them cool off awhile, put them in your sleeping bag! (Probably want to wrap them in cloth of some sort, preferably cloth you don't mind getting dirty)

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
This article has some excellent tips from a certified, Arctic explorer badass.

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventu...ing-trip/4-be-efficient-when-you-set-up-camp/

The warm water in a nalgene bottle put inside the sleeping bag is such a great idea.
Wool sweaters and pants can be found for super cheap at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. An entire outfit for under $10. The wool pants are usually in the dress pants section.
For sleeping- make sure you have a good ground mat- or pine boughs, etc. You lose a lot of heat from conduction.

Last edited:

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Dude. Layers. Wool. Baby powder.lots of socks.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Don't be afraid to go indoors. I've slept in lounges at truck stops many times. Sitting in a folding chair with your bag between your legs is not the best sleep, but it's warm and safe. Never bother the drivers or staff, be polite, and they'll tolerate you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads