Hitchhiking in the Cold (1 Viewer)

GremIin

Current Location
TORONTO, ON
Any tips on what to bring when hitchhiking during the colder months? Snow is starting to melt, but I don’t want to wait much longer before taking off again. Looking for tips/tricks on how to avoid frostbite and the necessary equipment so i dont end up with hypothermia. I feel like im pretty good on gear (warm sleeping bag, sleeping mat, hald decent tent, stuff to start a fire and some winter clothes) but i could always use extra advice.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

noothgrush

Pilgrim
Current Location
Seward, Alaska
Just wear layers with a polyester or nylon base layer. Get some of those emergency heat conductor blankets from Walmart and set one up behind you like a tarp. Build your fire. You'll be almost too warm. I have been camping at night in northern Maine for a month now. You could also make a snow cavern in the side of a snow bank. It will never go below 32 degrees.

Raggamuffin

Current Location
Out and about
If you have bigger rocks near by, grab a couple, allow them to heat next to your fire, dig a hole, bury the rocks, pitch tent on top - it's warm, cozy, winter magic!

Oddman

Current Location
Minneapolis, USA
If you have bigger rocks near by, grab a couple, allow them to heat next to your fire, dig a hole, bury the rocks, pitch tent on top - it's warm, cozy, winter magic!
Or even, if you let them cool off awhile, put them in your sleeping bag! (Probably want to wrap them in cloth of some sort, preferably cloth you don't mind getting dirty)

Current Location
On the road
This article has some excellent tips from a certified, Arctic explorer badass.

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/explorer-eric-larsens-tips-for-surviving-a-winter-camping-trip/4-be-efficient-when-you-set-up-camp/

The warm water in a nalgene bottle put inside the sleeping bag is such a great idea.
Wool sweaters and pants can be found for super cheap at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. An entire outfit for under $10. The wool pants are usually in the dress pants section.
For sleeping- make sure you have a good ground mat- or pine boughs, etc. You lose a lot of heat from conduction.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX
Anyone have tips for cool chill spots dwntwn jacksonville,
Heading up to NYC soon. Gotta start from scratch again and been getting the itch to go somewhere anyways.
Almost to Jax anyone about?
Cinderella castle would make a damn good apocalypse house
A Simple Step Van wrote on snailormoon's profile.
Welcome to the site. Whattaya mean when you say you work with native Californian wildlife? Like, do you get paid for it or is it sarcasm? Curious am I. ~ peace
In the Pcola headed east to Jax then juicing to Salem for halloween
NEW BIBS FUCK YEAH!!
Actually sunny and warm! Tank of gas so I'm motorvating ! I'm on the last Vespa ride to nowhere ville and I'm not telling mum and dad when I'm coming home! You see im a loner, a rebel, call me wheels and I'll call you doll baby!
Remember people: nobody can hate you as much as yourself. Which in turn means you can conquer the world.

Staff online