Video - Hitch Hiking Malaysia | Squat the Planet

Video Hitch Hiking Malaysia

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
So I've been documenting some of my travels while I hitch hike through Southeast Asia. Thought some of you might be interested in seeing some of the places I've been and the beauty of the country so I've uploaded some short clips to YouTube. The clips are just of hitch hiking, scenery and some of the interesting wild life I've seen on my trip. I'll upload more later as I get the chance. I'm currently in Phatthalung, Thailand headed for Krabi. Here are some clips from Malaysia (I will update the playlist with more clips as I find the time). Right now I'm tired as shit after a long day of walking and I just ate kratom leaves so I don't feel like doing much of anything.

Last edited:

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I tried to hitch from Butterworth down to KL once. I spent all day trying to get a ride. However, after the fourth or fifth person stopped and offered to put me on a bus I went for that option instead...

Malaysia is easy to hitchhike in...just walk down highway 1. I did it my whole time in Asia and always got rides. I wasn't really trying to hitch, just enjoyed walking, but the summer heat there can suck...still not really sure how I did it, but I always got rides even in Singapore and Thailand.

Reactions: HoboinaTux

sd40chef

Reaction score
learn a bit of bahasa or get someone to write you a message to give to the drivers. tell them what youre trying to do... its true that in asia most local people automatically assume youre a lost tourist looking for a bus station or something while hitching. i gotta agree with @junglegreencleeds that malaysia is super easy to hitch as most locals have cars and the roads are a lot better than most asian countries, with decent shoulders to wait. ive never waited too long here.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Ahahaha good memories! Its annoying trying to convince people not to take you to the bus station, but their hospitality is amazing! Always helpful, always take you for lunch...

Reactions: briancray

blackcat

Reaction score
Hitching in Thailand was generally easy, maybe 5 min waits. But down south near the border of Malaysia where there is less tourism thinks got a little tricky. Spend a day hitching and ended up going in a huge circle. So easy to get rides but not always to where you wanna go. :) got a little scared when a local took us off the highway and kept going deeper into the country after we told him to get back to the highway. He ended up driving us to an amazing temple. So all worked out eventually.

Reactions: briancray

sd40chef

Reaction score
Hitching in Thailand was generally easy, maybe 5 min waits. But down south near the border of Malaysia where there is less tourism thinks got a little tricky. Spend a day hitching and ended up going in a huge circle. So easy to get rides but not always to where you wanna go. :) got a little scared when a local took us off the highway and kept going deeper into the country after we told him to get back to the highway. He ended up driving us to an amazing temple. So all worked out eventually.
whereabouts in southern thailand? im in southern thailand right now... just curious as i havent seen any travelers since i crossed from malaysia 5 days ago... crazy how thousands of tourists flock to certain places but some equally if not more beautiful places have none...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads