Hippie Hatred | Squat the Planet

Hippie Hatred

FigTree

Reaction score
so many so called punks hate on what they perceive as hippies. can anyone actually explain why? yes, the initial 60's movement failed, as we all know due to overconsumption and in my opinion too focused on harming none. and lots of what you call hippies are pretty stupid and/or annoying people, but that doesn't mean that everyone that presents themself in a peace loving, happy rainbow way is a fucktard. to me, it seems like just another fucking trend within the punk scene, no better than this obsession with pabst i've been seeing around. the punk movement and the hippie movement have alot in common, they both just wanna help society fix itself and have a good time, i really don't understand it. maybe it came from people wanting to distance themselves from the negative connotations associated with the term, but how is spreading hatred, especially hatred based on pretty much nothing, a good thing? stop worrying what the cool kids think and come up with your own ideas, fuckheads. bitch bitch ramble ramble rant. the end.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
FigTree, you're right there are anti-hippie sentiments. When I was travelling in brown pants and a green sweater and had a tam on my head, I was considered a hippie. Forget what I actually believe and stuff.

From what I've picked up there are several reasons why punks may dislike hippies:
-Hippies are often pacificsts - most anarchists think that is weak and that violence is necessary for liberation
-Along with the previous fact is that hippies like to talk about perception and consciencenous and doing yoga and just breathing out the problems in iife - punks would prefer to take direction action
-They think that hippies are fakes falling for some sorta trend. Ironically, the same might be said of punks.
-It's a sad fact, but there's tribalism. For the most part, when social groups get too large, people find stupid stuff to divide themselves over. Hating hippies makes being a punk seem cooler, quite simply. It seems like a bit of an expectation.

Other than that, I don't see much difference (other than dress style). I don't think I have a preference. So long as you're not blasted and constantly blazed, can hold a meaningful conversation, have ideals and want to do something about them, and none of them are stupid stuff like smashing glass bottles on the highway to show society how pissed off you are at them, then I'll hang. But those kinds of kids are hard to find.

I got a kick out of reading that crust punks have sometimes been called "hippie punks." That'd sure piss a lot of them off, haha.

FigTree

Reaction score
it's sad how people divide themselves over such stupid shit. i think some violence is necessary if you wanna change things, and i've been known to argue the merits of human population control. anyone looking at me tends to go with the hippie label though. and i'm big on raising your awareness of our existence/inexistence and whatnot, i use visualizations and breathing techniques to chill myself out, and others. if it helps, it's action and it's worth doing.

FigTree

Reaction score
p.s. fuck being 'cool', it's just being as average as you can be.

FigTree

Reaction score
but whats a hippie anyway? whats a punk? i'm entirely different from any other hippie punk or anything i've ever met and im sure so are you, so how can one make a general statement about the whole group?

FigTree

Reaction score
yar, like ive met plenty of annoyingass 'hippies' and plenty of retarded 'punks', i have never found a single scene where i love every individual in it. or hate them all! the labels arent anything real, just an attempt to simplify.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hippies and punks are all gigantic faggots who are too shallow to see themselves and one another as human beings. They need to dissociate themselves with labels and focus on being functional, operational, and respectable people.

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
oogles = broke ass hipsters..same fake attitude
same trendyness
actually that applies to anyone who wears a uniform in my opinion
then again im just a bonafied reject
it must be nice haveing a clique
seriously punks hate hippies because there "supposed to"
it a 70's anachronism

mikefwt

Reaction score
Hippies and punks are all gigantic faggots who are too shallow to see themselves and one another as human beings. They need to dissociate themselves with labels and focus on being functional, operational, and respectable people.

oh my god aside from the faggot part this is one of the best posts ive seen on this website.

mikefwt

Reaction score
apathy really got the best of me, like it always does, (is that part of being a punk?) so i could give a shit about this stupid ass thread to reply with MY OWN thoughts on the subject. see my above post for for what im going to call my own.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, I like some hippies and punks. I don't care that they have a common style. Theres some from either group that are on the fringes and bridge the divide. Just like any culture, there are varying levels of adherence with those cultures, and every person has several cultural layers. It's not wrong to have a group identity, it's just ridiculous when you have to actively exclude people from your circle.

I used to prefer hippies, because they were more tolerant and accepting. Then some hippies I hardly knew made fun of me for wearing jeans and a denim jacket -- WTF? Then I understood that they can be as elitest as some of the punks that I had ran into before. Then I learned that either can be annoying, and that I just need to not worry about the jerks, because they don't matter.

And it's the same with hipsters. You can't say that everyone with large glasses and a moustache is a jerk. I have some friends who I could only describe as hipsters according to their style, yet they hang around with a few sports kids, some "normal" kids, some hippies, etc.

I'm probably equal parts hippie, hipster and punk.

Let's not be as judgemental as the hippies, punks and hipsters we're judging. Y'know, "they're all stupid and I'm 100% original as a human being" sounds just as self-righteous as either of the three groups. Don't form your own new group, just be a part of the blending of groups. Be what you are, and accept others who are strange or different.

Reactions: wokofshame

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads