Reaction score
ive been getting really into
deltron 3030/del
aesop rock
gorillaz
madvillain/mf doom
common

but im craving more
any artists along those lines i should check out?

thanks!
-christopher

bote

Reaction score
Paris classic

Buck 65, Maritime pride

start at 3:54, Nocando comes back with maybe the most off the dome freestyle ever,
¨...you dropped your mic ´cause you ain´t really grippin´it¨.

damn.

Herbal T vs. Urbal t

top it all off with a lil´ faggot snappin´

it wasn´t intentional, but I just noticed that all of these except the Scribblejam one are diy, beats and lyrics, all written, produced and performed by who you see.

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
Some good stuff to check out:
Wu-Tang Clan
Tribe Called Quest
Nine
Soul Position (and Rjd2, the DJ who makes the beats has his own good stuff as well)
Nujabes
Shing02 (Japanese/English depending on the song)
Ugly Duckling
K'naan
Asher Roth
Missy Elliott
and you've probably already heard their stuff but the Beastie Boys

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
i've been listening to hip hop since i was 12. i'll just list whatever i can think of off the top of my head. some old some new so you get a variety. you'll have to search through some of these artists discography's though. a few of them have been around for awhile, and like any artist that's been around for over a decade some of there music just sucks and some of its genius.
immortal technique, mos def, little brother, del tha funky homosapien, brother ali, necro, eyedea and abilities, kool keith, rakim, slick rick, 9th wonder, cunninlynguists, atmosphere, evidence, the roots, wu tang, talib kwali... i could go on for awhile. get through those and let me know.

xmaggotx

Reaction score
fuck gorillaz. del is down, but check out his shit in heiroglyphics. hyro is dope. tribe calles quest, pharcyde, living legends, blueprint, abstract rude, dead prez, jedi mind tricks, run dmc, atmosphere (fuck the new album), sage francis...if you wanna check out old school shit try schooly d, jurassic 5, funky four plus one, busy b, sugarhill gang, krs one, thats all im posting.

Tare

Reaction score
Shiiitt, lemme see,
Non-Phixion
The Arsonist
Camp Lo
Jedi Mind Tricks
Army of the Phaorohs
Diabolic
Sean Price,(one of my favs. underated fereal)
Rusty Juxx
Company Flow
Gangstarr
Jeru the Damaja
Black Milk
Tame One
Joel ortiz
Kool Keith ( He has like 20 sumthin aliases)
7L& Esoteric
shit, all the names giving by everyone are enough to keep you busy for years, oh Pharoh Monch too, and St. Laz, ok im done. Here's a lil fire for ya

bicycle

Reaction score
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pADgllloQg4&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pADgllloQg4&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObMGLmssmUk&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObMGLmssmUk&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvkgn6qd9I0&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dvkgn6qd9I0&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

adragonfly

Reaction score
ive been getting really into
deltron 3030/del
aesop rock
gorillaz
madvillain/mf doom
common

dude, you know whats up!

dead prez is good, very political and usually good beats
immortal technique is classic, also political but lots of hate in there. i get angry listening to it lol
a tribe called quest is awesome, early 90s i believe, very jazzy. check out 'electric relaxation' by them.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
K-OS is damn good, might wanna give his stuff a listen.

if you want some good instrumental hip hop, check out Radius' album "Neighborhood Suicide".

pola negri

Reaction score
Website
www.yeehowe.com
so much music in this thread! lots i know, lots i don't...

edan is great - 'beauty and the beat' is one of my all time favorite records. if you are a fan of old school stuff there's a good chance you will like them.

stone's throw records puts out a free podcast every week. sometimes it's ehh but other times it is amazing.

JungleBoots

Reaction score
ill listen to just about anything hip hop. but right now my favorites include Ol' dirty Bastard, Method man, Obie trice (local guy), Public Enemy No. 1, Ice Cube, shit... Will smith! i grew up on that shit.

also, guilty pleasure: The New boyz, Jerk it.

christianarchy

Reaction score
man i am so excited about all this stuff. its going to take so long to give this all a listen but im stoked.
thanks guys!
also, ridemoretrains, im really stoked you listed slick rick. i have a tape with him on it..its really sick stuff haha.
im starting with immortal, ive definitely heard before but havent seriously listened. and probably hieroglyphics soon too, ive heard a lot of good things about that stuff.
thanks for all the contributions!
-christopher

JungleBoots

Reaction score
slick rick is pretty fucking amazing.

in that vein of "old school" early ninties late 80s rap im a fan of Gang starr too.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
Wu Tang
Eric B. and Rakim
Gang Starr
Kool G Rap
MF DOOM

some other shit I used to listen to was Non Phixion, Alkaholiks, Cunninlynguists, Kanye West before The College Dropout, Blackalicious, Necro, anything with violin or piano samples

pola negri

Reaction score
Website
www.yeehowe.com
'Paid in Full' is totally my jam. So good!! Forgot to mention EPMD - 'Golddigger' is one of the greatest songs in hip hop! My friend went to high school with Slick Rick and I am waiting for him to sign my bra! And what about Curtis Blow? Oh, and don't forget the ladies - TLC, En Vogue, Queen Latifah, Monica, Janet Jackson...although I suppose this is more R&B. Old school hip hop and r&b are kind of one and the same for me, though.

Wait...no one's mentioned De La Soul?

I like Spank Rock too, although they're new and kind of a guilty pleasure. 'Bump' was my summer jam like two years ago. 'Summer Time' by the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff is my default summer jam every year...it shared the bill with Estelle last year.

Rash L

Reaction score
its all about packing a car full of dirty kids and blasting NWA and laughing because they know all the lyrics to all the songs...

but maybe thats just a so cali thing?

xmaggotx

Reaction score
check out SPOOKS. the siosos album is was the shit. their second one wasnt as good, but i would say this group is probably my favorite hiphop outfit. too bad none of them did other shit except the girl...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads