hi, i'm dallas (updated! and with a whole dang story to tell!)

dallaskelly

Reaction score
hi folks, i'm dallas!

i've been around here for a couple years, mostly reading old threads and taking advantage of the massive library of resources. but the last i heard it was shutting down, so imagine my surprise when i thought about it again a couple days ago and looked it up to see it still running, better than ever! my many thanks to everyone who makes it all happen.

where have i been all this time? working a menial labour job of course! because the SUV i bought to be my travel van was an electrical gremlin and gave me more headaches than it was worth. so i sold that and bought a hatchback and while it is thankfully reliable, it's been needing tune-ups, new parts, etc, and i've just been working constantly trying to get myself and my vehicle road-ready.

just recently i suffered a pretty major mental breakdown & almost took my own life. I ended up in the ER and all they could do for me was give a 2 weeks sick leave note for my job. the mental health supports in this country are laughable! as i've been taking my time off to recover and get back to the basics, i've been realizing that this has been a pattern my entire life. i work for no more than 6 months and i absolutely lose my mind, quit my job, take a break, then find another job to do it all over again with. i am just someone that cannot function with a regular job, and i'm so tired of having to pretend that i can do it. this is my last straw, society!

so, i could go back to my soul-crushing job for the next 2 months and wait for the switch-over to my summer work, or i could just quit this job and give myself those 2 months to finally go on this roadtrip i've been dreaming about for a year that kept having to be put off. if i decide to quit, that's a lot of money i'm kissing goodbye, and quite a bit of money i'm anticipating spending on this trip. but i am so so so tired of living my life based on how much money i have in the bank. at this point, i think i need to get the hell out of here. what say you, good people of squat the planet? should i spend all my money on some good old life experience instead of going back to the job that brought me to the brink? i definitely think so.

i am grateful to be alive. and i think i have to start living the way that'll bring me the most joy. for now, the plan is to go out and see a bit of the world. at least the places that my dinky car can get me to. i hope to share my actual travel plans and updates with yall soon. it's good to be back!

KaMPkOala

Reaction score
I completely understand the pattern you have been going thru. I found myself doing such over and over so I had to switch to something more attuned with my brain tho unfortunately not as attuned with my wallet.

I take gig work of sorts when I can. Painting and cleaning, ditch digging, mostly manual labor but it’s usually project work so it doesn’t last too long; Meaning I haven’t worked full time in a long time but iv been far less anxious doing this so that’s worth it to me. Then there’s the times I gotta scramble to makes the ends which is why I’m considering just forgoing my whole living sitch and going back to a nomadic life. I don’t have a car so that makes it a whole other thing.

I don’t know your finances so it’s easy to just say go for it! But if you have found yourself wanting to end your life then the money certainly isn’t worth it and you just never know who you’ll meet or what fortune may befall you good or bad.

Life’s an adventure! I’m not sure if we have another or not so I try to use that as my ultimate decision making guide of sorts.
Anywho. Not sure if that helps. You seem like you know what you want tho:) hope it all turns out regardless. 2 months isn’t so long either:)

dallaskelly

Reaction score
I completely understand the pattern you have been going thru. I found myself doing such over and over so I had to switch to something more attuned with my brain tho unfortunately not as attuned with my wallet.

I take gig work of sorts when I can. Painting and cleaning, ditch digging, mostly manual labor but it’s usually project work so it doesn’t last too long; Meaning I haven’t worked full time in a long time but iv been far less anxious doing this so that’s worth it to me. Then there’s the times I gotta scramble to makes the ends which is why I’m considering just forgoing my whole living sitch and going back to a nomadic life. I don’t have a car so that makes it a whole other thing.

I don’t know your finances so it’s easy to just say go for it! But if you have found yourself wanting to end your life then the money certainly isn’t worth it and you just never know who you’ll meet or what fortune may befall you good or bad.

Life’s an adventure! I’m not sure if we have another or not so I try to use that as my ultimate decision making guide of sorts.
Anywho. Not sure if that helps. You seem like you know what you want tho:) hope it all turns out regardless. 2 months isn’t so long either:)

life is an adventure! exactly. i think i’ve gotten so swallowed up in the capitalistic hell that we are forced to live in that i lost sight of what i really want to do on this earth, which is have fun and make some memories

Reactions: KaMPkOala

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads