Heres my dilemma

Traveler

Reaction score
There you go, now you're thinking. Although I would do some research because I don't remember if rec vehicles are allowed or not. It's cool to have fun but don't make yourself a target.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
just thought i'd throw up some links:

if you want an external frame pack, this is your best bet. my traveller friend just switched to this from an ALICE after using mine and said he can't believe he didn't do it earlier. he threw is ALICE pack in the trash. haha.

Kelty Trekker 3900 Men's External Frame Pack - 2010, 90295 | External Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

if you want a cheap, good internal frame pack this one's great

Kelty Red Cloud 5600 Internal Frame Backpack - 2010, 90283 | Internal Backpacks | Packs | GEAR | items from Campmor.

those packs are HUGE! what the hell are you carrying in there? 5600 cubic inches??

venusinpisces

Reaction score
You can get a very good $30 pack at Army surplus stores if you ask the clerk to direct you to the waterproof Swiss Army pack. I've had mine through many rainstorms, it has been thrown off trains, sat on, etc. and not once has anything inside ever gotten wet. And it's still in pretty much the same condition about 8 years later. Not to mention, the weight distribution is infinitely better than with Alice Packs and it is just as comfortable as any $200 REI pack. It has full lumbar support. Ask around and go to a few stores if necessary. I would never use anything else if I could help it.

As for "starting out" stories, I left at 17 because this kid from my high school stole a bunch of money from his parents and wanted to go on a trip. He wanted to take a bus to a friend's house in Pennsylvania but I was like fuck that. Let's go to Manhattan!! So we ended up floating around Times Square for awhile until someone directed us to Tompkins Square Park, the central location for squatters and travelers. I had no idea that kind of culture existed and was completely enthralled. But the first couple days were really rough because we had no idea what to do and ended up sleeping outside in the rain with no blankets. Finally some of the squatters took us in and taught us how to do things properly. That kid I was with went home after a few days. It took me awhile to learn the ropes because I was very naive then and people were constantly trying to take advantage of that. Plus I was way too into being intoxicated every single day so this really held me up in a lot of ways. Now I'm back on track, making art again and very motivated. I now wish I had used all that free time to draw some of the people I met or some of the beautiful old abandoned churches/factories I stayed in.

People here have given you some good advice, especially as regards running away from your problems. It's easy to think there are no consequences when you're in a different place every day--but believe me, this is just not true. There are lots of ways to travel while still being productive so try to find a way to do that if you can. Life is better than you think. Good luck!

Myechtatel

Reaction score
I live in Sanford. And as for a pack I found a really nice one in an als army navy, talked to the manager and possibly will be trading work for a pack. And I am allowing my life to go to shit, the depression spawns from walking around the same old job, streets, shit head friends, same four walls my feet are itching from being here 19 years. And I don't expect traveling to be some kind of magical experience. I'm just looking for some insight on who I am like you said Alaska. And I'm not trying to ride any trains with the little knowledge I have, that can wait. If I could ride a horse out of florida I would. Thank you for the links, Myechtatel. http://squattheplanet.com/members/myechtatel/
I think you contacted me about my ALICE pack on craigslist. haha, small world huh? yeah im selling that POS for $20 but i'd feel bad selling it to you knowing that it's a horrible pack for traveling. The guys at Al's are dicks. the other surplus shop on OBT is nicer and the guy is really nice. but i don't fuck with surplus stuff anymore. it's all garbage IMO. if you want, i'm selling my old Kelty Trekker. the thing is, it fell in a fire at the rainbow gathering so i had to get a new one. eventually i patched it up real nice and i just put it on craigslist. it's completely functional. i was gonna sell it for $50 but if you want i'll let it go for $40. it's better than anything you'll find in a surplus shop. let me know if you're interested i'll send you some pics. by the way, i'm just on the other side of orlando(kissimmee). if you want to talk to someone with a little experience(i know i could've used it before i left the first time) or if you just want to chill hit me up.

Myechtatel

Reaction score

Myechtatel

Reaction score
i figured you'd have to go with a bigger pack if you go internal because you don't have the option of lashing your sleeping bag on the bottom(unless you want it flopping against your legs). i don't think the trekker is that big though. it's perfect for me. and i don't carry much. it leaves me plenty of room for food and whatever.

Wookie

Reaction score
ahah, that would have been me! I got kicked down a pack at the first gathering I went to, but got pulled over at for "Illegal reversing" then arrested cause I was 17 and had a bench warrant....So I lost everything I had brought there and was given! FUCK. And now that I have your email from craigslist I sent you my contact info.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Check it, bleed.
Just be on, bro, don't trip. Make sure the folks is freakin' and the pilots are laid to the bone, home. So, blood, hammer out and jam jet ship. Tighten that bad sucker inside the runway like a mother.
Shit.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Check it, bleed.
Just be on, bro, don't trip. Make sure the folks is freakin' and the pilots are laid to the bone, home. So, blood, hammer out and jam jet ship. Tighten that bad sucker inside the runway like a mother.
Shit.

my vote for best post on /StP/ ever!

Myechtatel

Reaction score
ahah, that would have been me! I got kicked down a pack at the first gathering I went to, but got pulled over at for "Illegal reversing" then arrested cause I was 17 and had a bench warrant....So I lost everything I had brought there and was given! FUCK. And now that I have your email from craigslist I sent you my contact info.
that's not my e-mail. it's not my craigslist account. PM it to me or send it to cedric910@yahoo.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads