Hello from Madison, WI

rufe

Reaction score
Hey there, been lurking around the site for a few weeks now, finally worked up the nerves to give an introduction, my name is Mike, I'm 21, and I currently reside in Madison, WI. My friends call me roofie (due to a rather long, hard to pronounce last name), however I prefer spelling it "rufe", as connotations to date rape really aren't my thing. I'm a professional body piercer, been doing it professionally for about three years after doing a year-long apprenticeship and then doing the Fakir Musafar classes (look em up if you are an enthusiast of the bodymod community) or so, and I fucking love what I do.

For the past couple years, something has just been pulling me into considering abandoning my "cool" job and going into full time traveling. I never feel quite at home, even when I'm at "home". I've been curious about hitchhiking and trainhopping in particular, for the sole reason of it just seems way more damn interesting. Stories being passed around my circle punks and the random crusties that would show up at different basement shows I attended didn't do much to help that either. My friends thinks I'm insane for wanting to leave everything behind and just go for it, and I'm real real torn. I know this isn't a psychology forum, and maybe I'm just another middle-class asshole looking for some excitement from his drab life, but I really think I need to get out there, and REALLY be free. See new things, meet new people, no time schedules, oh, YES, PLEASE.

Anyways, more to me the actual person, I enjoy all sorts of music, anywhere from Defiance, Ohio to Pretty Lights, to Tom Waits, to Choking Victim. I'm all over the board. I also enjoy trying to skateboard, sleeping in the grass, and Maverick cigarettes.

The only thing holding me back is myself, I suppose. How did all of you make the "jump"? What is a necessity? Was it something you just wanted to try?

I'm an email and written letter junkie too, I love writing and getting and receiving mail. Want to just chill, get wasted, or simply just exchange some stories, feel free to drop me a line.

Pleasure to be aboard, and hopefully sooner rather than later I'll have some traveling under my belt, and I can be the one welcoming someone new.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Apples

Reaction score
Welcome to StP Mike, i'm Apples. In regards to the "jump" I wouldn't give up a job especially if it's something you love to do. If you can, take some time off from work and give the traveling a shot. If its not for you, you'll still have a job. If you enjoy it keep it up.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
This is how every intro should be like yo! and welcome ta stp. I LOVE madison, I dumpstered a friggin ipod, and a lap top with no keys on it!! gotta love hobo x-mas. It aint no matter what your class is! I know several peeps that come from a pretty high class backround, and they are cool as fuck! Being a piercer, you'll have jobs anywhere you go pretty much its not really a job its a skill and an art that people go out of their way to look for. Whether it be in a shop or odd jobs on the side. The way I made the jump was I just got a set of decent rail maps and a compass and of course gear and what not and left. Good luck man, be sure to use the search box if you have any questions. se ya out there yo!

Rash L

Reaction score
Madison is pretty awesome...
As far for the job thing, piercing is such a lax environment and a trade that can used in almost any state. As long as you bring your portfolio with you and get cleaned up when you get into a town you can even do guest spots at studios if you work a few things out before hand. I've even traveled with my piercing equipment and done piercings along the way. Unless you really love the people you work with, or you have an awesome hourly wage or something... the body modification industry is everywhere, so go for it!

Also, Props on the fakir classes, I always wanted to take them while he was still teaching, but I never had the money... haha, I guess I still dont.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Hooray! someone else who is wallowing in wisconsin with me! I'm probably kicking it down to madison in a week or so. maybe grab a cup of coffee or some jamba on state?

rufe

Reaction score
Rash - Fakir still teaches the classes! I went last year, and there he was, almost 80 years old, still teaching and piercing and running around being crazy. If anything, it was worth the money just to meet him and listen to what he had to say.

Thanks for the hello's everyone, it's much appreciated!

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Like Tanner said (and Nike), "just do it". You learn as you go. For me I was just hit by a bunch of things at once that frustrated me to the point that I had to get out. Hitchhiking was something I was already used to in my hometown, so that was my method of getting out. I made it to Spokane Washington and was going to hitch to Missoula Montana, but it was winter and I was new to travelling (haha, this song I'm listening to just said don't look for mermaids if you don't know how to swim, what a coincidence), I packed too much, couldn't figure out a spot to sleep because I wasn't used to that (turns out, pick a spot out of site [or mostly out of site] and hope all goes well), I wasn't used to being referred to as a vagrant/homeless/hobo and debated it (at that time, I was a hard working subcontractor, I called it a walk, I wasn't trying to be anything, I was just trying to blow off some steam). The first night was rough and cold and sleepless (except a hours inside a mcdonalds), and I turned around and went back home, which was very difficult to do considering I didn't know how to hitchhike out of a city. So that being my first trip, lasted a day. That trip ended on a very positive note though. Once the sun rose, I felt more positive and cheerful, I also found a statue with a quote from Abraham Lincoln that goes something like "Dare to believe right is might."

After that, I started hitchhiking into the biggest nearby town on weekends and getting creative with it. I learned how to deal with all of the things I encountered in Spokane. A few months later I took another trip that lasted a month, but it could have ended a lot quicker than that because I was faced by boredom and being lonesome (those things start to go away fast if you stick it out). I had an option to take the Amtrak back home on day 2 and I thought about it, luckily I stuck it out and the trip quickly became more lively and exciting. The trip after that was 3 months and I realized what a few other things are that socially handicap me and I've been spending the last year and a half at home trying to work those issues out and finally have myself polished up quite well. Now traveling is the most appealing thing in the world and I can't wait to see what my next travels end up being like.
Don't quit your job just yet, that can give you some security when you decide you want to get off the trail for a bit. Just explain that you're curious about vagabonding about and seeing what's out there for a bit and you're not sure if you need a few days or a month or a year. Stay in contact with them because they'll wonder how you're doing and if you're coming back. Let them know in advance and hope they're open minded about it (most people are). If you burn a bridge, you might regret it later. Always stay in contact with the people who love you (mom and dad), otherwise they'll worry, call police, hire a detective, get in touch with somebody who can find you (I read a post on here like this), etc. Pack light, have good shoes for lots of walking and 3 pairs of socks (or sandals are handy), brush your teeth and smile when people call you homeless.

You're in for a long trip Rufe, even if it's a short one. It also looks like you have some good opportunities of having traveling companions right here.

Have fun, and if you run into things that get you down, seek somebody to talk to about it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads