Gypsy settlement

zephyr23

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of any Gypsy settlement or caravan or if they even exist anymore? i have been to bus village at rainbow many of times but that not what i am talking about

Nemo

Reaction score
In Romania maybe?

Reactions: BobbinGoblin

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
They are all over in Europe. I think y'all have a really romanticized idea of gypsies though.

Reactions: bicycle

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Not that it is implied by this thread, I just know too many American kids who think they are going to run away with gypsies and learn to steal and make gypsy curses, of whatever bullshit. In reality, they are just poor immigrants. Thats it. You could probably find some mexicans living in trailers in the SW, more or less the same thing.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
gypsies1.jpg

^fake gypsies

01_-gitanos.jpg

00192217.jpg

^real gypsies.
This is a nice trick they do for busking, where a goat (presumably stolen), climbs a ladder. Then you pay money. Sometimes this is accompanied by a shitty little boombox playing electronic music.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Stealing children and training them to steal wallets seems kinda romantical to me.
See, these are both exactly what I mean.
The New Gypsies, is about a group of British punks. Sure, they do cool things, they travel, in caravans, with horses.. But they are not "really" gypsies (like the romani or gitano roots that the stories of grandeur come from).
And they arent really stealing children that I know of. I mean, sure, some poor people kidnap kids sometimes, probably for custody issues rather than anything else. As well some poor people's kid's steal shit. Thats true across the board. I have seen latin american kids do it in the US, African and Gypsies do it in Europe, and afro caribe kids doing it in South America. I guess poor people stealing is probably universal.

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
See, these are both exactly what I mean.
The New Gypsies, is about a group of British punks. Sure, they do cool things, they travel, in caravans, with horses.. But they are not "really" gypsies (like the romani or gitano roots that the stories of grandeur come from).

Agreed, fo sheezy. Gypsy is a very mis-used term, especially in America.
Since I've been in Ireland, I realize the true connotations and stigma of the label in Europe, the hereditary home of the gypsy.

The travellers here in Eireann still face huge discrimination - it is devastating to watch their way of life be destroyed through ostracism and prejudice. I can't believe the way the local twenty-somethings talk about them. The lots where they once parked their caravans have been fitted with gates that a car can pass under, but a caravan cannot (more motor homes today than horse-pulled). Subdivisions have claimed the fields where they once reared horses. Today, as we speak, these people are being swept under the rug and forgotten.

But these British punks are living the romance. It fulfills a certain fantasy.

bicycle

Reaction score
There are Rrom everywhere, most of them are in asylum shelters.
Here they are not allowed to leave the town their shelter is in.
They get a 25year ''half legalized'' status to be in the country which can be taken away any time.
Becouse of this status they also cannot get a normal job.
The roma children that are born here are under the same status, sometimes they send 14 year old kids that have been born in germany to kosovo, even if they never have been there, and do not know the language.

Here is a documentary about the largest Roma town in Europe:

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, fo sheezy. Gypsy is a very mis-used term, especially in America.
Since I've been in Ireland, I realize the true connotations and stigma of the label in Europe, the hereditary home of the gypsy.

The travellers here in Eireann still face huge discrimination - it is devastating to watch their way of life be destroyed through ostracism and prejudice. I can't believe the way the local twenty-somethings talk about them. The lots where they once parked their caravans have been fitted with gates that a car can pass under, but a caravan cannot (more motor homes today than horse-pulled). Subdivisions have claimed the fields where they once reared horses. Today, as we speak, these people are being swept under the rug and forgotten.

But these British punks are living the romance. It fulfills a certain fantasy.

I think this is another misuse or evolution of the term though. The Irish nomads, are not really gypsies, rather just the term is used by them or towards them, since their lifestyle seems similar. But I guess a lot of nomads seem similar in their ways. Travelers do what they do in order to get by.
I don't disagree that there is a certain sense of romance in the idea. I just think that these british punks are not really gypsies, and are kind of misleading in using the term.

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
I think this is another misuse or evolution of the term though. The Irish nomads, are not really gypsies, rather just the term is used by them or towards them, since their lifestyle seems similar. But I guess a lot of nomads seem similar in their ways. Travelers do what they do in order to get by.
I don't disagree that there is a certain sense of romance in the idea. I just think that these british punks are not really gypsies, and are kind of misleading in using the term.

Semantics: I did not call them "gypsies"

But they are similar in that they are a part of a nomadic culture that is a separate race of people who share land with settled folks, as well as their poverty and ostracism from society, which goes hand in hand with their lack of education. They share an affinity to horses.
And zephyr was inquiring about caravan communities.
They are different in that gypsies are where the term "gypped" comes from - because gypsies are known as cons and thieves. While Irish Travellers are known for being tinkers - people who work odd jobs and fix things (an occupation that becomes forgotten in our buy-it-now-throw-it-out-tomorrow culture). But they are both looked down upon and segregated as a race.

Not even the most tribal looking folks that I met here would dream of calling themselves a "gypsy."

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
They key is to look not to distant cultures to find our identity. We have no real knowledge of their ways, customs, belief, culture, history, or race.
You shouldn't spend your life pretending to be Roma, tribal Native American, Mayan, Maori, Druid or Viking if you are not. Although, pretending sometimes is fun - it is essential to accept your own identity.

We are a new people. Embrace it.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Semantics: I did not call them "gypsies"

But they are similar in that they are a part of a nomadic culture that is a separate race of people who share land with settled folks, as well as their poverty and ostracism from society, which goes hand in hand with their lack of education. They share an affinity to horses.
And zephyr was inquiring about caravan communities.
They are different in that gypsies are where the term "gypped" comes from - because gypsies are known as cons and thieves. While Irish Travellers are known for being tinkers - people who work odd jobs and fix things (an occupation that becomes forgotten in our buy-it-now-throw-it-out-tomorrow culture). But they are both looked down upon and segregated as a race.

Not even the most tribal looking folks that I met here would dream of calling themselves a "gypsy."
Yeah, you referred to them as travelers, but it was kind of blended into a post about understanding the connotation of the term Gypsy, maybe I just read it wrong.
But its weird when these terms get thrown around, and widely accepted. I wonder if the Romani and Gitano get swept under the rug, as well as the pavee there in Ireland, if 100 years from now, these american kids with no cultural ties other than reading some dickens books will be the widely excepted gypsy race.
I mean, the Travelers in the UK, maybe you personally were not referring to them as gypsies, but tons of people do, no?
and I guess that a lot of people in the UK, without taking the time to understand, think that they actually are gypsies, not just resembling them because they are nomadic.

Concerning Caravan communities, there are sooo fucking many, of all different types. Slab City, for one. Most festivals though temporary, often have a lot of people that live full time in caravans. My first collective was quite much one (or host of one. The warehouse was 15-20 of us, but out back we had as many as 17 buses at one point...)
I just thought that th OP might be a bit mislead, as the title of the thread is "Gypsy settlement"...
And again, I am not trying to attack anyone, I know I had this thought at one point or another also, that the gypsy life was romantic. Now after several fights with gypsies over dumpster diving, and having them chase me and yell at me a a form of begging, I'm a bit disillusioned.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you referred to them as travelers, but it was kind of blended into a post about understanding the connotation of the term Gypsy, maybe I just read it wrong.
But its weird when these terms get thrown around, and widely accepted. I wonder if the Romani and Gitano get swept under the rug, as well as the pavee there in Ireland, if 100 years from now, these american kids with no cultural ties other than reading some dickens books will be the widely excepted gypsy race.
I mean, the Travelers in the UK, maybe you personally were not referring to them as gypsies, but tons of people do, no?
and I guess that a lot of people in the UK, without taking the time to understand, think that they actually are gypsies, not just resembling them because they are nomadic.
An even more discomforting thought, how many times has this already happened? And not just with Gypsies...
We are a new people. Embrace it.
But what are we called?!?!

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
An even more discomforting thought, how many times has this already happened? And not just with Gypsies...

But what are we called?!?!

It seems like groups and events usually get named after the fact....

How many times has it already happened, indeed!!
But, I suppose, evolution of thought/culture/genetics is just a fact of life. But survival of the fittest is applicable in all realms.

if 100 years from now, these american kids with no cultural ties other than reading some dickens books will be the widely excepted gypsy race.

Do you think kids will be reading books in 100years??? (assuming that humans and America still exist)
Agh, too much.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
IF ITS ALL IN MY HEAD... THEN WHERE IS MY HEAD AT?!?!?!
AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!! IM A ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE PAST?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!0011!
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100110 01100001 01100010 01110010 01101001 01100011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110011 01110000 01100001 01100011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100001 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 00100001 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010100 01110010 01110101 01110100 01101000 00100001 00100001 00100001

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads