grey man/anonimity | Squat the Planet

grey man/anonimity

starfarer

Reaction score
ive been homefree for years and years, I TRY to look as anonymous and "straight" as possible to avoid the cops. my summer uniform is bone moleskins and a collared shirt and a blue corduroy blazer with whatever footwear I have at the time. ive found it easier when people think yoru "normal". my days of wild punk stuff is way over, im sick of the cops hassling me, nyone else do the grey man thing?

D

deleted user

i too dress for the part i play. like Roger the alien . resorts and conventions are the best just go with the flow and blend in , also kilts! mine a tan utility canvas deal. i stash my gear. then prep for the roll. i used to work for a catering company, black slacks a white button up shirt and a waiters apron, are the keys to eating prime rib and drinking a good red.... for free. i like to keep a "runners" outfit under my clothes for quick getaways. if you look like a jogger and don't have your old clothes on you. well you are what you say you are then.

D

Deleted member 20240

Planning on taking my scrubs w/me when I bounce. Got em super cheap online for a job. Thier always at thrift stores/free spots too.Lightweight, compact, wash/dry easy. Look like a nurse. Maybe try to avoid the heavy duty ones in classic jail colors; orange, hunter green, dark blue, etc. To avoid looking like an escapee ;)

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
scrubs n a ups uniform... I can kinda imagine how they could be used.

any examples./stories would be useful.

I know about construction vest/hard hat is useful... but for getting free stuff I think a good waiters/waitress like deal to crash big catering events is nice. Would like to find a way to infiltrate a fancy country club and get drunk on the inventory. LOL

wake up at the end of the driving range as the sprinklers turn on.

D

Deleted member 20240

I used to work in a hospital. Thiers all sorts of amenities that might come in handy. Phones, showers, waiting rooms, coffee, wifi etc.etc. etc. If you need it chances are you can get it at a hospital. Even if its just a spot to warm up. Scrubs could come in handy for blending in and avoiding suspicion. If you were brave and wanted to get more into character and possibly gain access to more areas you could probably obtain some info and slap together an Id badge doing some research online.best done in a large hospital, not the smaller ones where everybody knows everybody. If you happen to be in an affluent area scrubs could be a convenient means of not drawing attention to yourself without having to get all gussied up. (Your just heading to work or just got off work. Going about your business.)

D

Deleted member 20240

You may even be able to access the hospitals layout online to prepare yourself for whatever it is you intend on doing there.

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
I ended up shaving my head because it felt better than hair that was unwashed for a week. Unfortunately, that did not help with blending in much - still to uncommon to be shaved as a woman. People would actually approach to ask if I was recovering from chemo.

CaptainCassius

Reaction score
It's easy enough to do both. I look just "normal" enough anyways that I pass off as just some kid from the country. I've used costumes plenty of times for various things, also props can be useful (traffic cones and such) for lotsa mischief. Knew an old bo that wore a suit under his coveralls, he'd hop off the train and stow his dirty coveralls in his suitcase and pass off as a gentleman to passerby soon as he got to town.

Also want to add, short hair and a shave or somewhat trimmed beard for guys makes a world of difference to first impressions from both police and civilians. Likewise you receive a different reaction from other street folk.. Usually a negative. Same with stashing your pack, you look totally different to people at a glance.

Although looking dirty can grant you some advantages in certain situations too.

Usually when I'm trying to figure someone out at first glance I look at their shoes and their hands. Sometimes you can glean a lot of information about someone just based on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20975

I have two outfits. Traveller, punk, hobo, drunk bum, dirty work clothes, whatever the fucks closest or already on.... and suits (weddings, funerals, court). Not much in between. I would have to be on some real secret mission type shit to do anything else. And maybe... maybe, if i was in a giving mood i would wear a collar or clean sweater for my mom or grandma.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
No one suspects the dirty patchouli smelling hippie.... ;)

• Love It
Reactions: roughdraft

BusGypsy

Reaction score
why is this so fuckin true?

i have one ex who was this girl and she was beyond ace

1. The derpy stoner stereotype- you're red eyed, squinting and giggling- you're too high and hippie dippie to be up to anything
2. Not considered violent or a threat- when people see some punk looks, plus with face masks, they think, oh shit, broken windows and violence. They count on hippies being peace loving. To them, whatcha gonna do, Om me to death? Peacefully protest?

They see just a stoner kid and just want to push you along.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
then it's ironic a greyman can conceal themselves in tyedye

"What did he look like??"
"Uh, really colorful?" That's descriptive.

Plus I forgot to mention; sometimes it just throws people off, just being nice. Especially when someone's not expecting it. Like hippies hugging cops, or saying "welcome home" to the cops when they come to break up a Gathering.

• Haha
Reactions: roughdraft

scutellaria

Reaction score
i travel with a bicycle and lemme tell you, not many people suspect you to be a train rider if you have a bicycle regardless of what you look like or whether youre on rr property. even other kids usually think im some local, esp if i dont have my pack on.

also i rock a denim jacket and with that and the shorts or skinny jeans i wear and the tote bag, i just look like any other hipster in while foods. unless you look too close haha but black clothes hide grease decently well.

and right now i have a backpacking pack, but combined with my bicycle, if i have a messenger bag, in cities where there are messengers, i can often get into a lot of places (rooftops, restrooms, residential buildings etc). helps i work as a messenger and know how to play the part but still handy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads