good CRPG's for MS DOS, retro pc games in general

black

Reaction score
looking for any suggestions for classic rpgs for DOS and whatnot, or just any suggestion for old school games at all. emulators are free so its all I play. been really getting into dos games lately and ive played the Eye of the Beholder series intermittently, tried to start Menzobarrenzan but didn't have time to keep playing. even started Kings Quest 1. I know there are plenty of strange hidden gems for DOS so let me know if you guys know of em.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh man, this is totally my specialty right now. been collecting tons of shit i missed when i was younger so here's just a few off the top of my head:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Planetscape Torment
Might and Magic Series
Arcanum
Nox
divinity

if you're not aware of gog.com, you should really check them out, tons of old games that can be had for very cheap.

oh, and are you playing these on a laptop or phone? cause magic dosbox for android is amazing...

Last edited:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
the original BattleZone..

the great great grrat great granddaddy of all real-time 3D & VR environments...

reminds me of the days of 12mhz processors, EMM 386, CGA mono, Hercules graphic adapters for text only screens, & 10, count 'em, -megabyte- HDDs..

my brain goes creeeaakkk...

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Of course, all the old iD software stuff, like Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Hexen, Heretic.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
but battlezone is fucking *great*..

plus.. i have an old dos version of the I Ching, which is fucking *wonderfull*..

been trying to track down the author for decades..
no luck, but she did a real honor to it, IMHO.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
@black was looking mainly for rpgs, but if he wants other suggestions i have a huge list of gog games and other dos and early windows games worth playing.

• Useful
Reactions: syrinyx

black

Reaction score
ya know @Matt Derrick , I played through some stuff from gog like Neverwinter Nights back in the day and a way more recently Baldur's Date 1 but like, it was before I was a D&D fanatic, specifically a fanatic for Forgotten Realms, and I had no clue it was even associated with D&D? cuz I was a dudebro playing in pop punk and metalcore bands??? and I played through them in like a weird haze of drugs and ignorance and I remember none of it. need to go back and do that. I really really wanna play Icewind Dale but something really turns me off now about the way you move around in that game, the whole Baldurs Gate group movement, tactical stuff just feels so impersonal to me ya know? but Neverwinter Nights was a little better about it. I just recently found Legend of Grimrock and I creamed because the Eye of the Beholder series is kind of my fav.

Reactions: duderino

black

Reaction score
also I would like to give Diablo 2 an honorary mention. replaying it currently with my wife, but its not as old as other games mentioned

black

Reaction score
I would also like to throw in that Wasteland is fuckin awesome. Snake Vargus for life

black

Reaction score
also any suggestions for adventure games would be cool. good point and clicks, text, everything

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
How old is old? I'd say get the snes emulator and play "Crono Trigger"....easily one of my favorite rpg's of all time. "Final Fantasy 7" is also on the epic scale.

Reactions: briancray

black

Reaction score
How old is old? I'd say get the snes emulator and play "Crono Trigger"....easily one of my favorite rpg's of all time. "Final Fantasy 7" is also on the epic scale.
Chrono Trigger is in my top 5 SNES games already! also Tales of Phantasia is p good. believe it or not im barely a Final Fantasy fan and (what im about to say is pure heresy to final fantasy fans) my favorite FF game was the first MMO they had put out which I think was FFXI?

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Chrono Trigger is in my top 5 SNES games already! also Tales of Phantasia is p good. believe it or not im barely a Final Fantasy fan and (what im about to say is pure heresy to final fantasy fans) my favorite FF game was the first MMO they had put out which I think was FFXI?

Dude Im not an FF fan either but 7 is pure magic...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I didn't even know there was a Wasteland 2 til like 3 days ago im stoked

unfortunately you'll need a high end machine to play it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads