good CRPG's for MS DOS, retro pc games in general

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
elder scrolls 2 : daggerfall runs in dos. you can still play it with dos box.

interestingly, someone is re-writing daggerfall to work in the unity engine, and it looks fucking sweet:

http://www.dfworkshop.net

not quite finished, but they're making great progress.

black

Reaction score
interestingly, someone is re-writing daggerfall to work in the unity engine, and it looks fucking sweet:

http://www.dfworkshop.net

not quite finished, but they're making great progress.
yeah im pretty excited for that. I love dos, it overloads my brain with chunky, ridiculous goodness, but unity will definitely run the game better without any random hangups (or at least I think so, unity isn't without its flaws)

syrinyx

Reaction score
I know that Baldur's Gate and all its sister games are considered classics, but to me the learning curve was sort of frustrating at first, and then the constant pausing of the game to direct all the action was tedious and killed the immersion factor. Maybe you get used to it, but I was too impatient.

Reactions: black

syrinyx

Reaction score
If anybody here is looking for some sweet point and click adventure action there's nothing that tops the secret of monkey island. I also highly recommend Grim Fandango, the sam & max games, King's Quest for the very patient, leisure suit larry, and of course if you're looking for an experience unlike any other in a point & click you absolutely cannot miss Myst but it's been lauded so widely it feels pointless to mention. Play it. Play it goddamn it.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
@syrinyx Baldurs Gate is one of those games that gets easier the more you play it. You're right about the learning curve, it is not a very forgiving game. I'm currently working on a run of it with a Ranger as my main which is really the only way to go. Since it's game over should your main die its better for them to use projectile weapons and act more as a support character.

Clerics and Mages are way too squishy. Rangers will start to learn healing spells as you progress through the game which is helpful as fuck. Druids are also a good choice however they are restricted from using Bows which are the best projectile weapons in the game, not counting spells.

I am mildly obsessed with that game haha.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads