good all-around shoes?

trotsky

Reaction score
Been looking for a good pair of sneakers or what have you for just normal shoes. I'm tired of chucks falling apart after a few months and growing mold. Usually I get chucks or Adidas Sambas, but the Sambas lose their tread pretty quickly- and I've been wanting smt better anyway.

any suggestions? don't really want normal running shoes as I need to be able to wear these sorta formally sometimes. but I do want to be able to run/jump/climb in them.

was thinking of either of these:
Vans E-Street - Surf Footwear - VansSurf.com
Vans 106 SF - Surf Footwear - VansSurf.com
but I dunno how good they'd be for running.

hshh

Reaction score
those shoes probably wont hold up to long and wont be too comfortible if your doing alot of walking and traveling alot, but what do i know, ive seen kids hopping trains in loafers. but thats just me.

120 Proof Vomit

Reaction score
I just recently retired an old pair of Airwalks from about 6 years ago, wearing them on and off as my back-up pair. hands down, the longest lasting sneakers ever, and super comfortable to boot. I honestly doubt they make shoes that comfortable anymore, but I say go with airwalk, or get a pair of the cheapest, most obviously tough pair of shoes you can find. Speaking of shoes, i know a guy that goes into walmart, tries on the shoes he likes, and walks out. the isles are so tall in that section, it's hard to see if something funky is going on. good luck dude.

Detrivore

Reaction score
yeah its great to get into a wal mart pair. MY girlfriend does the old "trade-in" every couple months, I just dont dig anything they got. vegan shoes never hold up for me plus they are expensive. Even Morrisey has an animal rights loophole for shoes. I say find some 2nd hand leathers. I am into track shoes or wrestling shoes from used sports stores. They are nimble as fuck and light, good for biking too.

treatment

Reaction score
I just bought some of the Blackspot hi-tops
Expensive..but they seem real durable. Vegan, union made, no sweatshop labor, recycled materials. Plus yuppie left-wing street cred.
But really, I'm happy so far. I had the money and better spend it than save cash on sweatshop products, in my opinion.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Much as I'm down to disenfranchise walmart i say bad idea stealin from them.
go with payless same shit but usualy only one (or two) highschool or college kids working there tell em to fuck off when they come asking pushy sales questions and wile there fuming texting they GF/BF about your rudeness you are ripping tags off and lacing up your new kiks
or if you like what your wearing and dont wanna trade just walk out the door sayin "sorry but im takin thease, bye"
walk calmly around corner and then run like a track star
thats what im doin when im ready to leave this burg
just dont try that in a mall payless wont work well i expect

D

Deleted member 125

i have a similiar pair of the vans from the first link, the tread as held up incredibly well, infact after almost a year its showing very little wear. but the canvas or whatever the other parts of the shoe are made of is falling apart. the material rips pretty easily especially after being repeatedly rained on and dried out again. also if you have flat feet or just care about your feet its pretty cramp in there to put a insole in them because of the way the shoe is designed. what size shoe are you? i have a almost brand ner pair of mens size 10 sambas if you could pay for shipping there youres.

bradupsthepunx

Reaction score
i just steal me a pair of asec tigers. they last me like 5 months and weigh almost nothing. The top is made of mesh, which makes for wet feet, but it also lets them dry really quick and stay cool. i used to get all kinds of foot stink fungus grossness, but these eliminate that shit!

Feral

Reaction score
Im personally a boot man myself. I find that getting a good pari of hiking/hunting boots (minus the camo) generally work really well for a long ass time. The problem with sneakers is that they A: fall apart all the time, B: are not thick enough for trekking through retarded terrain, and C: if you ride trains, sneaker are easy to loose, along with a possible foot here and there. best pair of boots i ever had were from walmart cost me like 35 buck, and lasted forever. The smell can get bad tho, carry some baby powder :D just my opinion mind you.

pip

Reaction score
Used to do the whole mysteriously immortal converse thing(shoplifting the same pair i already had on by switchin em), but lately ive been digging this super old pair of danner work boots that i've had for roughly 423423423423472(penis)3472374237 years.

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
all my shoes fall apart after about three months. I fucking love shoes...not walmart shoes though...an all around good shoe is gonna be leather, so your feet don't get wet, and can breathe...with a sole that has good tread, but soft enough that you can run in 'em, and your feet don't get sore walking in 'em all day.

xbocax

Reaction score
Docs
Draven Vision Street Wear Duane Peters shoes
and any of those sandal/hiking shoes from REI particularly the merrel and keen brand

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha i am known for over-wearing my shoes to the point of duct tape , and rope. You want something to keep your feet protected from the rough high rocks of the pa tracks , the sandy desert [once you get it in you cant get it out] , and preferably , though i wouldnt waste any valuable time , waterproof/resistant. The obvious choice would be a durable boot , albeit heavy , klunky , and not to mention they do slow you down if you a skinny guy like me I would recomend a logging style survivor. I got my first pair in 2004 and im still wearing them. Show , as i saw someone else mention above , i have to agree with the airwalks. I had a pair for a good 2 years before losing them to my first encounter with my dog. They can be found in wal-mart [but go to a kmart , less security] or payless. Of course the best shoes you can ever get , better than survivors and airwalks are anything free.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads