2016 Jamboree - Giving back to the Lizard Tree Library | Squat the Planet

2016 Jamboree Giving back to the Lizard Tree Library

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, I just wanted to create this thread to see if I can pitch the idea of possibly helping the Lizard Tree Library build some new facilities while we're there for the 2016 gathering.

While we were there in 2015, there was a serious fire ant problem which caused a lot of problems when we were trying to cook food for everyone. Also the library lacks a 3-basin wash station, so I would like to propose we build them one (I'm hoping this will help with the ants?).

By upgrading the kitchen facilities (and trying to come up with a way to combat the ants) I'm hoping we can make it easier to cook for everyone at the event while also contributing something significant to the Lizard Tree Library and the people that live there.

In addition to that, we're going to have the same admission fee we had last time, which that everyone needs to bring a book (or two, or three... dozen) to donate to the library! For those that aren't aware, the Lizard Tree Library is a free, take-a-book, leave-a-book 24 hour library located in Slab City; and they could use any donations you can come up with!

Check out the Facebook page and @Cornelius Vango's youtube channel here:

https://www.facebook.com/lizardtreelibrary
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3SpI_QxJvaPb9S2IiU0JQ

So if anyone has ideas or can bring out materials/tools to build with, please post here!

Last edited:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Kitchen, AC, showers, & another dumper..

dunno how much can actually be built, but when we get there, we'll do what we can until we have 't go somewhere else..

also.. dunno about Natasha (i suspect she would be cool with the idea), who's down to hit the slabs to do work? it's way early, but this is when i have off, so i suspect i can put at least a week into it, & maybe two..

Reactions: NatashaVelvet

TMG51

Reaction score
Kitchen, AC, showers, & another dumper..

dunno how much can actually be built, but when we get there, we'll do what we can until we have 't go somewhere else..

also.. dunno about Natasha (i suspect she would be cool with the idea), who's down to hit the slabs to do work? it's way early, but this is when i have off, so i suspect i can put at least a week into it, & maybe two..

Work? If people are going now, I'll help. Dunno what there is to do 8 months early but I'm here now. I'll be heading east in a month or so and not returning until late October at the earliest.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
i would suggest CL-ing the bay to LA free stuff & see what we can come up with..
there might *be* a 3 basin sink that needs picking up..
showers are easy.. straight solar down there will cook you, & if you paint a plastic 5 gallon container black & use a hand air pump, you can get a *hella* nice spray.. 5 gallons can shower 3 people, easy.. if folks are responsible for their own soap & rinse H2O, they'll do it on a gallon..

i can pick up about 20 dollar store tarps, to be busted out when the jambo starts..

if we can find a couple of 30 or 50 gallon drums, that's most of the dishwashing station..

AC can be run off a generator (we'll have access to at least one), & it's quite possible to build a larger swamp (evaporative) cooler that uses just water for a 10 - 20 degree drop in temp (dun get me started on the variables & equations.. 20 is possible with the high temp & low humidity down there..) something we can look into, also , is flywheel stored energy.. super good for driving basic pully based systems, & pretty damn simple & efficient..

also.. if anyone is down, CL for a free turbocharger.. if we can put one of *those* fuckers up against a deep capillary channel, we could have a pass-around AC tube (or muti- hose outlets) driven by whoever feels ballsy enough to ramp up a 1 ton merry go-round attached to the turbo driver pulley..

remember merry go rounds??

super easy to build.

put a bunch of sandbags or cinder blocks on that fucker & compress the energy to about 10 square inches on a 20:1 drive ratio?

fuck yeah we'll get cold..

we need to get some fucking forienniers over here..
make some friends so we can hang out with germ mens, & the people who know how to *really* cook potatoes..

& we need to scream "God Save The Queen!!", really, really loudly..

& get some poor bastards Syrians over here, so they can forget how badly we've failed them..

VoodDoo?
you better have your ass back down from the Circle..

if you can set your fucking sled dogs on Chuck fucking Norris, you can make it to the Slabs...

creature

Banned
Reaction score
TM, cool..

my #; 904 325 5791

not sure when my departure is.. should be within the next 6 days, unless i have to do some major mechanical work.. hoping i can get away with a chemical fix.. my thermo was reporting a good engine temp, but i may have blown my head gasket, yesterday.

dunno..

is not too much of a major delay, regardless...

Powwow with NatashVelvet, Tomato & Matt..

these are folks on my transiting radar..

possibly powwow with @Cornelius Vango, since she is the Sister running the Library at the Slabs, where this will be... she doesn't use StP that much (more on facebook)..

dunno about "people" going now.. just know about me & the folks who may be willing to jump into my van..

i'm down with the slabs, early, then hard-coring around the central US & west coast..
order of arrival does not matter.

i have committed to the Slabs at some point before the Jambo starts, so i will perform in one capacity or another.. even if i never make it there...

BUT.. it is my intention, NOW,
O, Brother to hit the library up ASAP & do whatever can be done, in case I am either enslaved
or Escaped
come October 2016..

if my body is not present, Glorious Leader must toast me..
because my work, in one form or another

Shall Be..

on that i swear, unless i somehow die.. in which case..
toast me

& forgive me..

Reactions: bystander

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Matt Derrick - I can supplement books from my college as well as the used book store down the street (heh once a week this guy puts a box or boxes of books out into the alley that we pick on - cause he has too many of the same book or it just hasn't sold in a while) - think I offered before but never followed though.

Also, was wondering about cooking supplies - meaning pots pans etc - I have given so much to goodwill, especially when the bf and I melded households, but I am still overloaded. Not heavy things, more bulky I guess - but do you think this would be wanted?

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if we can get either of those things out there we should definitely do it, i'm sure they could use it.

TMG51

Reaction score
I'm still confused as to what needs getting done, and when.

I travel with a full tool set, circular saw, reciprocating saw, impact, drill, shop vac, etc, and my rig has the solar/battery bank to support them. I have experience in the high end construction trades. I've worked on Trey Anastasio's summer home. If it's for a traveler / slabs I don't mind helping out for free.

But I still don't know what we're talking about doing.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm still confused as to what needs getting done, and when.

I travel with a full tool set, circular saw, reciprocating saw, impact, drill, shop vac, etc, and my rig has the solar/battery bank to support them. I have experience in the high end construction trades. I've worked on Trey Anastasio's summer home. If it's for a traveler / slabs I don't mind helping out for free.

But I still don't know what we're talking about doing.

I've revised the first post in this thread to hopefully make it a little more clear.

The short version is that we're thinking about building something for the library in slab city that hosted us for the 2015 gathering. this wouldn't happen until the actual 2016 gathering (which is most likely going to be the 3rd week of october). so it's a looong way off (8 months), but folks are welcome to go out there early and help them out if they want.

• Useful
Reactions: TMG51

creature

Banned
Reaction score
TM.. sounds solid.. when i'm geared up, i'll let you know.. 2 guys with tools could do a lot of prep work in a week or two.. BTW, i carry about the same contingent, so i bet we're on the same page..

K

Kim Chee

...Also the library lacks a 3-basin wash station, so I would like to propose we build them one (I'm hoping this will help with the ants?).

If you use just a very small amount of this every day near the mound they will go bye bye. By very small, I mean no more than 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) daily.
image.jpg

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
If you use just a very small amount of this every day near the mound they will go bye bye. By very small, I mean no more than 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) daily.
View attachment 29144

iiiiinteresting... we should bring some of that.

also, i sent cornelius a message on facebook to see if there's specific things they need this year.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Hey! Love the thread. A three part wash system is good, we don't really have ant problems as badly as when there's a lot of people here during that time. We're trying to keep it really under control this year with ant poison and other measures, so bringing more ant poison and fly traps is always a good idea.

As for the three part wash station, we already have that set up for ourselves, but because of the bug problem, we were washing out in the yard. Maybe we can avoid that. Thing is, I did not like having the kitchen be accessed by just anyone during the party and because of it, I've had follow-up issues with boundaries from a couple of lingering STPers who have come in here acting like they own the fucking place because they partied here once so if you want to get some basins for a simple wash set-up, that would be fine, otherwise, we can just have certain designated "in-charge" peeps that can moderate the kitchen and staff areas.

WE NEED SHADECLOTH. Large pieces of legit shade cloth will make your stay much more comfortable and then we can actually use the kitchen in the hot months (that's another reason we weren't using it). We have been able to lower the temperature in the entire library by a few more degrees because of it and we can do more still.

The library has grown quite a fucking bit. It has been greatly improved. We do however need more shelves because we actually have more books than we can shelve but we now have the space to protect new shelves from the weather. Also, long beams of wood, sheet metal, screws, drill bits, sawzall blades, shovels, a pickaxe, rope, bailing wire, housepaint, brushes, clear coat, furniture, mod podge, toilet paper and of course babydoll heads...

Looking forward to showing off our progress. Would love to have some volunteers come in to help us with projects. We're starting to think about digging a new shitter hole.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
interesting..

I'll pick up some boric acid (non-toxic & natural) & see about setting up an ant barrier..

the auxiliary basins sound good, too.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for blackout curtains and drapes at the thrift stores on the way down..
on occasion i see large bolts of tightweave going cheap..

lowes & home depot often have 'culled' lumber.. 70% for pieces that are 50 - 90 % intact..

rough cut 3/4" x 8" x 10' long planks can be gotten cheap, too..
i dunno who'll be coming down with me, but i picked up some nice little pieces of furniture up here.. not much, but def usefull.. small solid wood tables & small wine fridge (only goes to 40 deg. F, but will keep liquids fairly cool.. dunno if a microwave is needed or not (dump scored), but if there's no riders this time in, i may just shove the van shit-full, instead of street curbing it..

we'll see about making a couple of resource runs, too.. the *has* to be some good outdoor fleamarkets around there somewhere, no??

i'm always carrying too much shit, in any case..
it'd be nice if the library can relieve me of some of it..

i have a *shitload* of heavy duty wood screws & lag bolts that really do need to be used..

we'll find a pick axe, fer sure.. hell.. maybe we'll find / build a fucking plow that we can tow with a vehicle..

what might be *really* usefull is finding a source of 50 gallon HDPE drums or 250 gal. water/chem tanks..

babydoll heads are scary.. i hate those fuckers more than live rattlesnakes..
i think it has something to do with my inability to clearly distinguish between existential reference frames..

but then again.. i never *did* like dolls all that much..
my idea of a good use of GI joe was setting the poor fucker on fire while armies battled & screamed when they all finally died in a thermonuclear blast & the slow, lingering, mechanized death that was salted, bitterly, with fallout & a realization of the futility caused by human stupidity..

ahh... childhood in the years of the cold war.. what wondefull memories..

i digress..

babydoll heads.. ok..

if we must.. can we paint them glow in the dark?

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha yes we can. I like the idea of a bunch of melty GI Joes... maybe I'll melt some fuckers over something today.

There are some cool outdoor swapmeets nearby, the one in Niland is open on weekends and there's thrift stores and what not.

The weather this week is supposed to be around 75 degrees. It's an excellent time for a visit..

Reactions: Dmac

creature

Banned
Reaction score
sounds cool!!

the weather up here on weds was screaaming "12" of rain this weekend!! get sandbags!! run for the hills!! buy scuba equipment!!"... well... it started drizzling last night, & i thought "well.. right on time.. i'm fucking shut down for a couple of days.." & this morning?
the concrete is fucking dry..

i'm heading out in a few mins to start packing.. hopefully the last 2 or 3 parts are in, today, in which case i'm on the road in the morning..

Reactions: Cornelius Vango

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
As for the three part wash station, we already have that set up for ourselves, but because of the bug problem, we were washing out in the yard. Maybe we can avoid that. Thing is, I did not like having the kitchen be accessed by just anyone during the party and because of it, I've had follow-up issues with boundaries from a couple of lingering STPers who have come in here acting like they own the fucking place because they partied here once so if you want to get some basins for a simple wash set-up, that would be fine, otherwise, we can just have certain designated "in-charge" peeps that can moderate the kitchen and staff areas.

Could we just set up a wash station / kitchen outside the library? Maybe that way people will stay out of the private areas entirely. We could bring a fold out table and some wash bins and maybe something to store the food in (that is ant-proof).

WE NEED SHADECLOTH. Large pieces of legit shade cloth will make your stay much more comfortable and then we can actually use the kitchen in the hot months (that's another reason we weren't using it). We have been able to lower the temperature in the entire library by a few more degrees because of it and we can do more still.

@Cornelius Vango is there a good place to get shadecloth? we're going to have more vehicles this time around, so we could probably pick some up somewhere and bring it out. If there's somewhere we could get it for free, that would be even better and I'm sure someone will volunteer a vehicle to go pick it up.

D

Deleted member 16034

I'm down ass a clown bringing some bookshelves and shadecloth with me to create. Do y'all take textbooks (Think Psychology of Human Sexuality and other psychology related books) or do you stick mostly to biographies and fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads