Gas bikes in Cali? | Squat the Planet

Gas bikes in Cali?

thegrapsman

Reaction score
So I've never actually traveled but I'm currently couch surfing in the city and am absolutely sick of it, I was thinking about getting a gas bike and touring through California.
I know some gas bikes arent street legal but some are? I also read that if it doesn't go more than 20mph you don't need a license.. So I was thinking of just driving at 20 and building my own coroplast trailer.
You guys think the cops will hassle me or take my bike away?
Has anyone else done this in Cali?

Anyone want to join me? Likely heading to Jambo first.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
So I've never actually traveled but I'm currently couch surfing in the city and am absolutely sick of it, I was thinking about getting a gas bike and touring through California.
I know some gas bikes arent street legal but some are? I also read that if it doesn't go more than 20mph you don't need a license.. So I was thinking of just driving at 20 and building my own coroplast trailer.
You guys think the cops will hassle me or take my bike away?
Has anyone else done this in Cali?

Anyone want to join me? Likely heading to Jambo first.
Remember, they have a bunch of those scooters out there that are a problem. Look for one with easy to snatch batteries and you can do a free electric bike if you like

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
people have done this and no you won't get in trouble. the key is that you really want to invest in a GOOD motor ($600+) that will tolerate you going up hills and whatnot. also, be prepared to be fixing your motor a lot and have the right tools for that if you're going long distance.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
The makeshift one’s I’ve seen around here are obnoxiously loud and polluting. Seems like an open invitation for the cops to harass you.

thegrapsman

Reaction score
people have done this and no you won't get in trouble. the key is that you really want to invest in a GOOD motor ($600+) that will tolerate you going up hills and whatnot. also, be prepared to be fixing your motor a lot and have the right tools for that if you're going long distance.

I contacted a guy in LA (Primo's) that has been doing gas bikes for years and explained to him what I wanted to with it, he seemed to know his way around an engine and was glad I told him it wasn't for racing but for hauling so he could tweak it. Told me the bike with a lock, helmet, and lights would be around 550... Seems like a decent deal to me, might have to go back to him though when I build the trailer cause I want to get turn signals put on the back of the trailer... could likely figure that out myself though.

thegrapsman

Reaction score
The makeshift one’s I’ve seen around here are obnoxiously loud and polluting. Seems like an open invitation for the cops to harass you.
That's what I was thinking too, but im disabled and cant haul all my shit by peddling. I thought about an electric bike but they're too expensive and I have no clue where to charge them while traveling, thought about a solar hookup but that's way out of my price range.

thegrapsman

Reaction score
Yeah, can't go more than twenty. It's up to cities/counties to limit sidewalk use.

You should be fine with a trailer. Message me where you are headed through.

For sure dude, thinking about staying in slab for a while too, not sure yet. Wanted to meet the locals from stp in slab first and get their advice, maybe make some friends too.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
If I only knew how to set up an electric bike id be game
1. Get batteries

2. Electric hub
Buy one of these that fit the bike and also runs on either 1 or 2 scooter batteries in series (measure voltage of battery and use math).

Get a throttle of some sort and you’re good. You are gonna want a decent lipo charger to maintain the batteries unless you wanna go get more. If its 2 or more cells make sure to either charge jndividually or create a balancing lead to keep them balanced

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads