From MN to West Coast? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 14481

I deleted myself
I'm considering bike-touring from Twin cities, MN to the west coast (most likely Seattle, WA.) I've never bike toured before, but I'm sick of GreyHound's bullshit. ::banghead::
Right now, I don't have any gear. I don't even have a bike, but I have a lot of time to gather what I need, if I decide to go through with this. I'm going to get a bike anyway, so I can get around the Twin Cities while I'm here.

I know a lot about bike touring as it is, but i made this post to ask for suggestions and advice outside of the standard national guidebook. What would useful to know for biking between MN and Washington? ::nurse::

(I don't know if this goes in destinations or bike touring. Sorry if I fucked it up.)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
deffinetly get a bike before you even consider going cross country on one. make god damn sure you are comfortable with the frame/handlebars/brake/gear system of said bike. i made the mistake of the "oh ill just wing it on this bike i just got for free and itll all be fine". it wasnt. it was a fucking nightmare and one of the worst travel experiences ive had thus far.

diy saddle bags are made pretty easily but consider buying, borrowing or stealing some nice panniers that are water proof and are a good size, again this all depends on yer body weight/height. imo there is no real all around best pannier. a light weight tent is a must (again this is based on experience and my personal opinion) because as a tarp works well for hitch hiking and hopping trains, a tent after peddling for up to 8 hours or more a day is a hell of a nice thing to look forward to not having to deal with weather. and between MN and WA yer looking at alot of rain.

being in decent shape is a huge plus, although honestly im not in the best shape and i dont think it hindered me too badly, just made my trip longer then expected (that and my bike).

you will want comfortable clothes but not alot of them. weight really adds up and even a few extra pounds in yer saddle bags can feel like yer pulling a house after a few hours of riding.

again, LEARN YER BIKE! how to take it apart completly and put it back together is a huuuuge deal, because something will break or go wrong and if you dont know how to deal with it you could be shit outta luck in the middle of nowhere without a bike shop for towns and towns away. alot of the midwest isnt exactly the best place to find bicycle parts.

plan yer route and try to stick to it. this is also important because alot of roads/highways arnt bicycle friendly and you may find yerself having to turn back to take another path because theres just nowhere for you to even moderetly safely ride on.

alot of folks may not like this, but imo its not a good idea to rely on flying a sign/spanging as a means of income or food only because usually the best times ti do them is when youll want to be on yer bike not standing on a corner. dumpstering can of course be hit or miss so again its not worth ti to rely on that as a sole means of food since ideally youll want to be moving not home bumming around a town waiting for the pizza place to throw out their food.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ACommunist Newb hopping out of Phoenix today going up west coast Road Dogs & Meet Up 7
kriminalmisfit west coast homies meet up? Road Dogs & Meet Up 14
Lostsoledc In Dallas need a road buddy I wanna go out to the west coast Road Dogs & Meet Up 5
Prometheus Nomad river rat wandering and rewilding on the west coast, heading eastward/anywhere Road Dogs & Meet Up 7
Supposed Mocha Looking for easygoing souls traveling to the Westcoast Road Dogs & Meet Up 12
KDogWalkin Planning a cross-country hitch from NY state to the west coast in December - January! Road Dogs & Meet Up 0
Jernsberns Jersey shore heading to west coast. United States 8
Matt Derrick Seeking travel partner for car travel down the west coast, end of August Road Dogs & Meet Up 23
Ringo Changes on West Coast UP system/Roseville. Train Hopping 38
Rusty Possum Chained to Austin for a time, but my eyes are on the west coast Road Dogs & Meet Up 4
Teller of Tales Recommendations for West Coast Destinations? United States 11
keystone traveling the west coast, hitching Washington, Oregon and Cali United States 11
ElNayshon Best spot to camp west coast Wilderness Living 18
Ironweed UP/ West Coast Train Hopping 4
A Middle-Eastern Background, Would I have problems Hitchhiking the west coast? Hitchhiking 18
Kaine In Colorado Springs, heading to west coast come Summer (+ the story so far) Introductions 7
6coexist9 Seeking sailboat ride up the west coast to Alaska Boat Punk / Sailing 5
GuyXsmith Any tips for hitching the west coast? Hitchhiking 4
Frostyfag West Coast Puppies? Furry Nomads 1
Skidkidfox Hitching the West Coast 5 or 101? United States 10
dabtime710 West Coast Busking Tips Money, Work & Food 3
Matt Derrick 2016 West Coast Bike Tour Vlog! Bike Touring 10
Max Arman U.S. West Coast -- Hike, freight-hopping, hitchhiking Introductions 8
Koala Photos Hitchhiking the west coast - USA Travel Stories 7
Grav3yardgirl89 West Coast work with feline Money, Work & Food 5
J West Coast on two wheels Bike Touring 4
Matt Derrick West coast train line name? Train Hopping 8
4t7 east coast to west without a license Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 40
Koalie Road Dog? West Coast* Introductions 7
Max Eden Seeking a Road Dog for a Grand West Coast Adventure. Introductions 0
Matt Derrick Featured Train Hopping the West Coast with Chaeliegh Train Hopping 11
nocomplykidd Best route/advice from new hampshire to west coast? Hitchhiking 2
Frodo So, how fast do you think you could get from the west coast to the east coast? Train Hopping 55
iamalouse Greetings from the West coast! Introductions 10
K West coast United States 15
DreadedSatyr West Coast soul lost in the East bound traffic. Introductions 7
The Wanderer First time... want to hitch from the Midwest to West coast Hitchhiking 29
Opposition Rising OPPOSITION RISING WEST COAST TOUR 2012 Art & Music 0
ApiCutter Central Ohio > Texas > west coast Train Hopping 5
ipoPua the cheapest way to the west coast United States 2
Rolling Blackouts West Coast Festival Circuit Money, Work & Food 7
P west coast port shut-down 12/12/11 Events / Gatherings / Festivals 6
CdCase123 East (coast) vs West (coast) United States 13
Gudj [Aug 14, 2011] West Coast Week of Solidarity (oregon) Events / Gatherings / Festivals 4
Q Traveling down the west Coast of the USA United States 3
harrison Heading out of Richmond -> West Coast United States 5
Dameon STP West Coast Spring Gathering 2011 Events / Gatherings / Festivals 26
Zooey Glass How to start / where / squatemate / west coast ? Introductions 0
xbocax West Coast Power Violence Events / Gatherings / Festivals 3
derailed Photos West coast traveling Train Hopping 30