For the techno hobo | Squat the Planet

For the techno hobo

Nemo

Reaction score
If you're in need of a scanner when riding the rails and you are in possession of a smart phone, download the application Scanner Buddy free. It's on the droid market fer sure; as far as others idk

You can set your location and it gives you stations of railroads, police depts, fire stations and so many more.

Just listening to it for a few minutes can get you information on which train is going where and whether or not you've been spotted by any suspecting eyes.

Foxxx here on StP is trying it out from New Mexico and is getting signals from Colorado.

E

Earth

BB has an app called Police Scanner that works pretty good too.
Best of all though is a simple old skool handheld scanner.
They're cheap - and run all day on (typically) AA's...

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I say: just buy a scanner! You can get them for under $100 online, and then you can program specific channels and not have to worry about random shit. For instance when I'm in Colton I lockout everything but the specific Colton channels. I've found those scanner apps will oftentimes pick up dispatchers only.

cxr - "Roseville to dispatch, we just went into emergency..."

bryanpaul

Reaction score
  • Haha
Reactions: West

bryanpaul

Reaction score
fun night that was. 14 hours to go 23 miles.

cxr - "we're gonna need manned helpers..."
been there too...stuck in mosquito infested feilds for hours waitin on a repair crew to come put a new hose on

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
been there too...stuck in mosquito infested feilds for hours waitin on a repair crew to come put a new hose on

Yup. Outside Toldeo. Rollin 60 and then.. BAM exploding air. rapidly breaking train. Swampy mosquito land. thunder storm rollin in 5 minutes after. Sat there for no less than 4 hours. I remember thinking "fuck it we should just barge the 3rd unit". Good thing we toughed it out instead. Should of talked to the brake babe.

Reactions: bryanpaul

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I don't feel too bad, now. We were stuck in Cajon for a while. It was down to like 15-20 degrees, from what I was told. That sucked. Moved back to the doop later, then got walked in on by workers. Wound up talking to them for a while: "ha, was listening to you guys earlier trying to get the DPUs to communicate with the front." "Do you work for the railroad? You're using a lot of RR terminology." "uhh...no..."

cxR - just a railfan :X

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads