florida winter?

D

Deleted member 20683

might be able to get a free ride to tampa soon, tempted to escape from the northeast. not super sure where to go, might try and bring my bike,...where do people like to winter there? wheres a good place to busk / fnd cool folks? (i did read the key west thread thx)

Tadaa

Reaction score
take your bike and cycle around for a while .. bring sunscreen, a hammock with a tarp, mosquito repellent and shorts. :)
Florida is flat, so perfect for cycling. also with a bike you ll be able to camp anywhere you want as you get around easily to look for spots.
Miami is pretty awesome. there is a miami thread with some advice on that.

if you cant get a bike there i can sell you my sweet ass roadbike that is still at a friends place in ft lauderdale . (gonna try and pick it up at some point.. damn i love that bike

Reactions: Coywolf and Koala

ironman

Reaction score
Bring bike or get one .make sure you have lights on bike . people ready always has work in Tampa paid daily. I spent few winters just riding and camping out in Florida. Just to enjoy not being cold . message me i give you fee of my old camp spots

Reactions: JackSquat

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Im in north Georgia, Originally from tampa, wanting to go back. Cause DAMN its cold anywhere north of the panhandle. I do gotta agree florida is way flat and so biking is great, also plenty of places to sleep, florida is different in that way. They dont like the homeless but dont go out of the way to mess with people like us. Maybe our paths will cross in the upcoming.

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
Also a checklist should include some type of bladed protection. Sleeping in a tent and having a big ole snake slither onto you can happen. I wouldnt try and fight any full size gator, but remember that 6' chainlink fences dont stop those damn dinos. Those "florida stories" are normally true to some degree, youll have some yourself after just a few days being anywhere there.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I am also planning on possibly heading to Florida this winter at some point, more to just see the ocean than anything else. So I am sure this will be a useful thread! ^_^

D

Deleted member 20683

cool yall thanks, yeah idk if the bike rig will make it down with me, seems more likely that i'll just bring an instrument.

now, what about coconuts?? tbh i am a little obsessed and this is part of my interest in s. fl...! maybe other wild or cultivated fruits to forage?

Chazten

Reaction score
cool yall thanks, yeah idk if the bike rig will make it down with me, seems more likely that i'll just bring an instrument.

now, what about coconuts?? tbh i am a little obsessed and this is part of my interest in s. fl...! maybe other wild or cultivated fruits to forage?
Tons of wild kumquats, pretty sure they bear fruit all winter depending on where you are in Florida, yummmy little things

pallaway

Reaction score
I'm about to go to florida within the next few days. Going to tallahassee and walking from there to tampa. Nice to see this post. I might even check.out that workready thing. I made my pack lighter than it's ever been before and not bringing but a couple layers and a hoody. Pretty sure I'll be fine. Should I be bringing bug spray?

pallaway

Reaction score
I don't know how to play any instruments yet. But yea definitely going up the east coast at some point after. Not sure when. Whenever it feels right. I've been missing some things.

pallaway

Reaction score
People keep pulling over and ask me where I'm headed and they keep telling me I'm going the wrong way all of them. They don't smile either. Idk what their deal is. Maybe it's my brown skin lol.

• Wow

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads