Finn

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Being a moderator, I figure people should know a little about me and that I am a moderator, though Widerstand is much more on the ball than I am. If your spelling and/or grammar hurts your story, I will try to correct it while preserving your unique 'voice' to the best of my ability. I'm a huge believer in the preservation of personal histories.

Anyway, I am a permacamper street medic, I've squatted for about 5 years total- most of it in the woods, medicked for about 8 years (and I still don't have PTSD!), and only occasionally travel, since I tend to be employed most of the time. I was trying to make my own trustfund, but since it looks like the second depression is well on its way, I guess that idea is not going to happen. Oh well. I tend to be an oddball, I like science, math, and engineering, though not the directions that they are going, or the world in general.

Anyway, I am getting into gardens and workshops in my old age, and I'll probably go rent a place to live in order to get some more projects underway.

Also, post more stories!

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Finn. How did you get started being a medic?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Hi Finn. How did you get started being a medic?

For starters, I used to injure myself a lot from being reckless and I am very resistant to bacterial infections, so I got to practice plenty (and even mess up!) on myself and am not squeamish to the sight of blood or guts. I was first trained in the spring of 2000, because of the WTO protests in November months earlier, since there was a need for that sort of thing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
i never knew you were a moderator.....
if you've squatted so much in the woods you should post more pointers for folks. that's what i'm really into but find it hard if there's not already a established camp.

I make it a point to not abuse my powers, even when I am arguing bitterly with someone, and Widerstand usually fixes stuff before I notice or get to it. I guess I'm the backup mod?

I thought I did put down pointers for that. Anyway here's what I have to say in a nutshell:

For establishing camp, choose wooded higher ground at least 50ft from streams or lakes or human trails. It should not be visible from established trails, shores, banks, sidewalks, or roads. The best woods are those without much human traffic. Make sure there are no hanging broken branch or rotted tree hazards- find another place or take them down. Getting over to the camp should not require you to be completely aware or uninjured, but should be enough of a trek so that stealing large items from your camp shouldn't be too easy. You should have an idea of how the other camps in your area. Brambles and low branches are your friends, do not remove or kill them, as removing them is what makes a deer trail into a human trail. Have stash spots near your camp but not in them, in case your camp gets trashed/raided. Bicycles should not be in your camp unless you are storing them as backups, the one you are using should be locking in the nearest area, since the tire tracks are a dead giveaway, but if they must be in the woods, hide them out of sight of your camp. To deter rodent pests, make some snake habitats around your camp, but not too close. Food should be stashed away from your tent, preferablely in metal or glass containers- squirrels can gnaw through plastic quite well and persistently.

Avoid having to go through tall grasses, you will pick up things that bite you that way. Swampy areas are fine in the colder times of the year, but not in the hotter ones. Being near flowing water or lakes increases the chances of people stumbling on your camp in warmer weather. Being up in the trees is nice, but it is colder, harder to make and unless there are some huge trees around, much more in the open.

I

IBRRHOBO

This is kinda a wierd place to do this, but I would add that another reason u don't store food in camp up north are bears! i would also note a section on latrines. get u some slit trenches aways a bit and run ur ash from the fire pit over each usage to keep the smell, bacteria, etc. out.

finn, might wanna cannabalize this into a complete post! nice to meet ya!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I can do a really good job at editing, so don't hesitate sending in stories because you might think that I'll think that you are barely literate or something. I don't mind fixing mistakes, and I really love a good yarn. And so everyone knows, I'm not an intellectual elitist, grammar and spelling and punctation doesn't mean shit if people don't step up and back a friend up for the right reasons...

I noticed that I forgot to mention that one of my hobbies is knifemaking- a great pastime but a horribly sexist and racist industry.

Yup, bears and other large wild/feral creatures are a good reason to keep food out of your camp, I'm glad I've never had to deal with them. On that note, I am strict about not eating food in my tent. I only drink water, and that's it, though I can see how it can be annoying when it's cold out and you just want a snack. I'll work on collecting all the info to start a camp thread after I'm done with a project working with a worker-owned collective. (An amazing place to be, a lot of drama and a lot of work, but somehow elegant in its own chaotic way)

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello "Finn"!
Good to meet you and all others here on this site. (I had been on the other digihitch site and never even knew about this one)! Now I have to rewrite all those 36 stories over here. Mmmmmm? I'm trying to figure out a way to transfer them. I guess I'll rewrite them slowly one at a time......starting with, "Boxcars and liquor. The price you pay when mixing both".
Oh, and hello by the way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads