finding side roads that are safe and will get you there. | Squat the Planet

finding side roads that are safe and will get you there.

M

Mouse

this was inspired by the moped post and the thought of cross state biking.

are there any good map/direction systems out there that will give directions for only side roads? you can't take a scooter or a bike on a highway, and some roads that have higher speed limits (at least when it comes to scooters, usually 45-50mph is off limits)

I'd love to take my scooter out to the eastern shore to see my boyfriend (when the weather turns) but I don't know exactly how to go about it. :(

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Alot of gps navigation units have a function that allows you to choose the option to "avoid freeways" or something similar. Magellan Roadmates are the cheapest that I know of with this option.

DavidL19

Reaction score
Website
allstategarage.com
I am not sure if this will help you but I saw the post and thought that it might. Allstate has a map site that I have been using to post motorcycle routes, which most are off road. Since you can make maps with this system without roads might help you. Give it a try at allstate insurance route map or allstate insurance motorcycle. These are the links the to map and the original web site. I hope this helps.

David
Advocate for Allstate

jonom

Reaction score
Adventure Cycling Association offers maps that take you through the most remote roads. They're pretty expensive though.

gaarie

Reaction score
Google walking directions took me on many many roads I would have chosen not to take. 4-wheel drive roads, non-existent and non-labeled roads...

Glad you're inspired.

After Western Texas, I ended up using a $10 road atlas to just pick local and state highways visually. It's super quick and easy. It's hard to get lost that way. Routes always intersect each other very visibly. It is entirely legal to take a bike on almost any road... I usually stay away from interstates, but in a lot of states it's actually legal to ride major interstates like I-10 (on a bicycle, not moped), so you wouldn't have any problems whatsoever. I've met 9 people so far touring the country by bike. Three of them towed a trailer of some form or another loaded with most of their possessions. I've been pulled over 4 times, but once I explain what I'm doing they have let me go. It's super easy to get food stamps while traveling if you don't have them already. Don't camp on state or federally-owned property or you will get arrested for criminal trespassing. I was warned about this by one of the bikers who fell victim. I actually met a man riding 95 in AZ up to WA on a 49cc motorized bicycle towing a trailer. 15mph... He was taking up a whole lane too.

Scooters... Claim it's 50cc if you get pulled over. Be respectful and cheerful and don't give them any reason to search you if you're carrying anything you shouldn't be. Pedals on mine helps. I fall into a gray-area legally. Make sure brake lights work and everything. Most cops in non-urban areas don't encounter things like this every day, so they usually don't know what to do and it's too much trouble for them to bother their supervisor to find out. You can skirt most major cities if you're worried.

Keep in mind I've gone 3,000 miles so far at 25mph...

gaarie

Reaction score
Also met a man going from GA to SF in a horse and buggy. a few times he had to get rides across bridges on the interstate, and he was detained for a a few hours in AL, but last I saw he was in TX. He's probably at least to CA by now.

M

Mouse

I'd actually love to do horse and buggy one day. I know how to do it... just need a buggy and a tough horse.

thanks for the suggestions ppl!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The cycling maps mentioned earlier are really freaking awesome. I've used them before. Also, tomtom on the iPhone and I think most Tomtom gps units have an option specifically for cycling! Yay!

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ive always wanted to just walk somewhere... not bike not hitch not hop... just stroll down the road or through the grass over hills and through woods... it seems to be impossible... but i could just use the side roads... id need someone with me though... and whos willing to just walk with me

Shark

Reaction score
ive always wanted to just walk somewhere... not bike not hitch not hop... just stroll down the road or through the grass over hills and through woods... it seems to be impossible... but i could just use the side roads... id need someone with me though... and whos willing to just walk with me

There was a guy who came through my town. He was like Korean or something and walked across the country for some cause (had to do with a war) and he carried a huge american flag on a poll over his shoulder. He was head to toe in army surplus and I think he pretty much walked anywhere. I wanted to join him actually. Seems like fun. I actually just saw him a few weeks ago at Virgina Beach with those crazy Christians who shout bible versus and have big signs listing what god hates and piss everyone off. All he did was scream at the top of his lungs. I was kinda disappointed really.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I've always liked traveling by foot. Call it walking, hiking, tramping, trekking, or whatever, it's the most natural way for a human being to travel.

I prefer to go alone though. It seems like when you have a partner they're either slower or faster or have a blister,and you never hit your stride. But when you're alone your body soon finds its natural rhythm and speed, you fall into a trance, and the miles just fall away.

Mountain roads suck though. I don't care what the maps say, it seems you always end up with short line-of-sight and no shoulder, jumping over guardrails with a 500 foot drop below to avoid getting hit, and not even any place wide enough for a car to pull over if you stick out your thumb....

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I've always liked traveling by foot. Call it walking, hiking, tramping, trekking, or whatever, it's the most natural way for a human being to travel.

I prefer to go alone though. It seems like when you have a partner they're either slower or faster or have a blister,and you never hit your stride. But when you're alone your body soon finds its natural rhythm and speed, you fall into a trance, and the miles just fall away.

Mountain roads suck though. I don't care what the maps say, it seems you always end up with short line-of-sight and no shoulder, jumping over guardrails with a 500 foot drop below to avoid getting hit, and not even any place wide enough for a car to pull over if you stick out your thumb....

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

thats what i do the most of. just walk. especially in the backwoods, cuz no ones gonna pick you up anyways. just walking places is the best. no plan watsover, no people helpin u out, just walking. u get quite a sense of accomplishment after walking across a state in a week.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads