Finally doing it

S

skyhi

Hi everyone! I've been hanging around here for a while but just made an account. Im in college and living in PA at the moment and im planning on spending the summer hitching and hopping west for the first time. I wanted to do this last summer but I ended up not doing it for various reasons (nervous, money, family, etc.) So I figured I'd say hi and join this fine community of explorers.

S

skyhi

I definately want to visit slab city at some point. Im basically just headed west to California then up the west coast to possibly find a job on a farm or fishing boat. Sure I'll accept where the wind takes me too.

S

skyhi

Sure, but since I'm in school getting an English degree I can't up and leave. So till then what I can do is buy my supplies, and browse the site. I may not be doing it at this very moment, but it is a definite thing as I am already telling my family.

dawgrunner

Rubber tramp
Reaction score
Website
dawgrunner.wordpress.com
Sure, but since I'm in school getting an English degree I can't up and leave. So till then what I can do is buy my supplies, and browse the site. I may not be doing it at this very moment, but it is a definite thing as I am already telling my family.
What are you considering as supplies? Traveling light is best, unless your packing for heavy snow travel. What's your plan? Got a list you care to share?

D

Deleted member 20

You seem to be able to communicate well enough in the English language to me.::rules:: You should be accustomed to studying for your degree so treat your adventure research the same.::bookworm:: Feel free to feast on the decade & a half of combined knowledge on everything that is budget traveling here on STP by using the search function. Keep the redundant threads & posts to a minimum. Welcome & Good luck.:D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

What are you considering as supplies? Traveling light is best, unless your packing for heavy snow travel. What's your plan? Got a list you care to share?

WE Sure as FUCK dont want to hear his plan or read another mythical packing list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::rage:: The guy has months+ to get a degree in college first. Hopefully he will be researching what to pack instead of holding us hostage by telling us how many socks & underwear will fit in his pack, or posting redundant shit in an introduction thread.

S

skyhi

I've read enough packing lists on here to have a good idea. Really, its just a matter of preference. Alice pack or no Alice pack? Tent or tarp? Im still making my mind up on these things but I know what I need. Ultimately, I'll live and survive regardless of what I choose. Thanks for the welcomes btw :)

lostandconfused

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been hanging around here for a while but just made an account. Im in college and living in PA at the moment and im planning on spending the summer hitching and hopping west for the first time. I wanted to do this last summer but I ended up not doing it for various reasons (nervous, money, family, etc.) So I figured I'd say hi and join this fine community of explorers.

You're doing exactly what I'm doing. I'm a freshman in college in NY and over the end of spring semester in May, I'm heading out to experience this life. If I like it a lot. I won't go back.

Reactions: Odin
S

skyhi

I believe firmly in doing what you love. Life is about the experiences and memories. I'm not simply content with living because I want to LIVE. So do what you love man, and if college isn't the thing for you say fuck it. Give college a chance though, because it is certainly an experience on its own.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Anytime, it's something I learned back in 1970, it's called discussion. Valuable tool! Have a good trip
Whateva Grandpa! Discussions get you no where, thinking you're the shit and telling people where to get off is the only real skill you need in life.

Ride the mack! Smoke the frack!

Honkey Bitches run dis shit and you should too!

dawgrunner

Rubber tramp
Reaction score
Website
dawgrunner.wordpress.com
Whateva Grandpa! Discussions get you no where, thinking you're the shit and telling people where to get off is the only real skill you need in life.

Ride the mack! Smoke the frack!

Honkey Bitches run dis shit and you should too!
Thanks, yep I'm a grandpa! Your right standn your ground keeps you alive! SEMPER Fi

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
WE Sure as FUCK dont want to hear his plan or read another mythical packing list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::rage:: The guy has months+ to get a degree in college first. Hopefully he will be researching what to pack instead of holding us hostage by telling us how many socks & underwear will fit in his pack, or posting redundant shit in an introduction thread.
I understand that its redundant but I actually kinda like listening to what people pack and having discussions about gear and stuff (but its better with actual travelers) really I think we should just try to reopen the thread about what we all pack.

D

Deleted member 20

Perhaps you can search the many threads of lists that exist here. Perhaps others can chime in on the subject so i dont have to. What is in our packs is useless banter

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
I definately want to visit slab city at some point. Im basically just headed west to California then up the west coast to possibly find a job on a farm or fishing boat. Sure I'll accept where the wind takes me too.
If your in Cali by summer look for sulfur loading jobs for crop dusting. It's a job literally /no one/ wants. You just take 50lbs bags of sulfur dust, load it into a boom and then jump on an airplane and load it with sulfur. Its fucking miserable work but it pays really well.

Reactions: SnakeOilWilly

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads