Figuring this out. Queer punk in CO Springs | Squat the Planet

Figuring this out. Queer punk in CO Springs

floodw4y

Reaction score
Howdy, just joined this site, figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Floodway, or Ziggy, a 20 y/o queer anarchist who's fed up with living the draining 9 to 5 life. I'm trying to figure out how to get out from the society I've been raised on, and find some real meaning and community. My current job has a CDL training program. I'm considering taking up trucking for a little while, get a chance to live on the road while having my living expenses covered. I'm a little concerned about being an extremely queer person in trucking culture– plus the fact that traveling as work will probably make it less enjoyable– but I won't know how it is until I give it a try.
I also have some friends with a 1980-something Dodge conversion van I'm considering buying from them, trying out the van life after saving up for a while, so I've got a lot of options I'm weighing currently. For now, I'm working full-time and saving money. Art college dropout, because I realized I was paying out the ass just to become another piece in the puzzle of capitalism, and I'm not about that. Would love to find a group of like-minded punks to live and travel with eventually-- I only pretty recently started to get into the punk scene, and it's been tough trying to find community when all the shows are shut down on account of covid.
My interests include music, obviously, art(would love to do some album covers if any bands need artists), urbex(especially draining,) and activism/community support. I used to be into circus arts, and would love to get back into them– I own a cyr wheel that I never learned to use.
Anway, I thought this site would be a good place to find like-minded people and get advice on starting to live more independently from the 9 to 5 bullshit.

D

Deleted member 29233

Hi Ziggy. Queer anarchist here too. College dropout (psychology). I've been stuck in the suburbs and am just unpacking all the information regarding travel. But I hope to find a punk scene in the future too. I can't be of much help, but I wish you the best.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard!!!
Know what you mean about the 9 to 5 BS.
I use to live in COS for 12 years, I visit now and then.
Good luck on your future adventures!

lemoncats

Reaction score
I think trucking could be a great way to start if you don't know what you're doing yet. You might be able to meet some people that way, though, the schedule might stop you from really getting good connections with people. It seems like you're sick of a 9-5, and even though trucking can be somewhat liberating compared to the paper pushing/factory line full-time alternative, it can still be just as mind numbing and soul draining. I wouldn't worry about being "too queer" for a trucker job though, just keep your head up high and act like you belong there: because you do. Trust me, a lot of my family members are truckers, there's drama sometimes (like everything), but the most hate you'll get is probably just ignorant/curious comments and questions.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I'd say trucking over a van. Vans are a pain in the ass, I can't say that enough. If you don't have an established hustle I don't recommend a vehicle at all, and I'd always suggest a small pickup with a camper shell over a van. I've met plenty of queer truckers over the years, I don't think you'll be as outta place as you might think.

• Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

floodw4y

Reaction score
Hi Ziggy. Queer anarchist here too. College dropout (psychology). I've been stuck in the suburbs and am just unpacking all the information regarding travel. But I hope to find a punk scene in the future too. I can't be of much help, but I wish you the best.
I hear that, sounds like we're in a similar boat. Wishing you the best as well!

floodw4y

Reaction score
I think trucking could be a great way to start if you don't know what you're doing yet. You might be able to meet some people that way, though, the schedule might stop you from really getting good connections with people. It seems like you're sick of a 9-5, and even though trucking can be somewhat liberating compared to the paper pushing/factory line full-time alternative, it can still be just as mind numbing and soul draining. I wouldn't worry about being "too queer" for a trucker job though, just keep your head up high and act like you belong there: because you do. Trust me, a lot of my family members are truckers, there's drama sometimes (like everything), but the most hate you'll get is probably just ignorant/curious comments and questions.
Yeah, I figure it could be a good way to get a feel for the road life, but I am a little concerned about the draining, mind-numbing effects it can have. I'm thinking of trying to find a company that lets me have a day or two off between routes, I know it's not desirable for most truckers because you don't earn as much, but I care less about the money and more about seeing new places, so it sounds pretty good to me. I hope you're right about the queer part! I know trans folks have found trucking to be a good refuge in the past, connecting with other queer truckers seems like it could be a great way to find some community too.

Reactions: lemoncats

floodw4y

Reaction score
I'd say trucking over a van. Vans are a pain in the ass, I can't say that enough. If you don't have an established hustle I don't recommend a vehicle at all, and I'd always suggest a small pickup with a camper shell over a van. I've met plenty of queer truckers over the years, I don't think you'll be as outta place as you might think.
Thanks for the tips, I've definitely had trepidation over traveling with a vehicle but no established source of income. The car I have right now is super reliable and gets good mileage, but is way too small to sleep in, unfortunately. If only I'd gotten a hatchback instead of a sedan... There are plenty of threads here about it, I'm sure, but if you want to share, I'd love to hear more about why you dislike vans in particular, so I know what to look out for.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Two main reasons.

1. They're conspicuous as fuck. People are naturally distrusting of people in vans it seems. Sleeping in a van= shady homeless person. Sleeping in a truck = upstanding citizen on a job saving $ on hotels.

2. They tend to be built like crap. This isn't exactly true of every van ever made but a lot are built for either a contractor or a soccer mom. I.e. people who aren't likely to be turning their own wrenches. A lot are too heavy for the frame / engine, have crazy wiring ect... The vans that are built solid seem to be rare so if you're on the road getting parts can be real iffy.

lemoncats

Reaction score
Yeah, I figure it could be a good way to get a feel for the road life, but I am a little concerned about the draining, mind-numbing effects it can have. I'm thinking of trying to find a company that lets me have a day or two off between routes, I know it's not desirable for most truckers because you don't earn as much, but I care less about the money and more about seeing new places, so it sounds pretty good to me. I hope you're right about the queer part! I know trans folks have found trucking to be a good refuge in the past, connecting with other queer truckers seems like it could be a great way to find some community too.
True, I've known a lot of queen and transfer truckers. They usually stick up for eachother. Lots of great people in that community. If you care about seeing new placee, just go for it! I'm sure you'll love the experience, even it's not super long term.

Reactions: floodw4y

MFB

Reaction score
@floodw4y CO Springs is where I keep my 5th wheel and have spend a couple months every year.

if youre looking for friends theres always "gender fluid/nuetral whatever" people hanging out at Poor Richards. Or hang out around CC and you'll find like minded people.

I'll be home toward the end of sept, himmee up if you wanna get high and nerd out on travel stuff. :)

floodw4y

Reaction score
@floodw4y CO Springs is where I keep my 5th wheel and have spend a couple months every year.

if youre looking for friends theres always "gender fluid/nuetral whatever" people hanging out at Poor Richards. Or hang out around CC and you'll find like minded people.

I'll be home toward the end of sept, himmee up if you wanna get high and nerd out on travel stuff. :)
Hey, that's good to know! I haven't been over to Poor Richard's yet, II'll have to check it out. I was actually thinking about taking a couple classes at CC once they're happening in person again, there definitely seem to be some cool folks there.
It'd be pretty cool to meet once you're in town, since traveling is such a new interest of mine I don't really have anyone to talk to in earnest about it yet.

floodw4y

Reaction score
True, I've known a lot of queen and transfer truckers. They usually stick up for eachother. Lots of great people in that community. If you care about seeing new placee, just go for it! I'm sure you'll love the experience, even it's not super long term.

Awesome, that's actually really comforting to hear. I think I'll definitely give it a shot! Might have to find a company other than who I'm with right now, though. From what I've been able to gather about their driver program, they require you to work for them for three years if they train you.. for someone with wanderlust, three years is a big commitment!

floodw4y

Reaction score
Two main reasons.

1. They're conspicuous as fuck. People are naturally distrusting of people in vans it seems. Sleeping in a van= shady homeless person. Sleeping in a truck = upstanding citizen on a job saving $ on hotels.

2. They tend to be built like crap. This isn't exactly true of every van ever made but a lot are built for either a contractor or a soccer mom. I.e. people who aren't likely to be turning their own wrenches. A lot are too heavy for the frame / engine, have crazy wiring ect... The vans that are built solid seem to be rare so if you're on the road getting parts can be real iffy.

Totally makes sense. The latter is definitely a reason I've been having doubts about the conversion van I was considering buying. The thing has been a tank so far, it's lived through two trips from Alaska to Colorado, but it's definitely got a few issues and parts for those probably aren't too easy to come by.

lemoncats

Reaction score
Awesome, that's actually really comforting to hear. I think I'll definitely give it a shot! Might have to find a company other than who I'm with right now, though. From what I've been able to gather about their driver program, they require you to work for them for three years if they train you.. for someone with wanderlust, three years is a big commitment!
I know! That's the hardest part, I wish there were more jobs for actual travelers. Yeah, three years CAN seem like no time at all, but when you have that itch to leave, it's horrible. At the same time, that three years might be great. I've talked to a lot of truck drivers when I've been at rest stops or diners, they usually have a lot of information about travel groups and communes being as a lot of them take hitch hikers. I'd take a job like that if I could, but I'm committed to being responsible for my furkids and want to be around my partner. lol

Laika

Reaction score
Howdy, just joined this site, figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Floodway, or Ziggy, a 20 y/o queer anarchist who's fed up with living the draining 9 to 5 life. I'm trying to figure out how to get out from the society I've been raised on, and find some real meaning and community. My current job has a CDL training program. I'm considering taking up trucking for a little while, get a chance to live on the road while having my living expenses covered. I'm a little concerned about being an extremely queer person in trucking culture– plus the fact that traveling as work will probably make it less enjoyable– but I won't know how it is until I give it a try.
I also have some friends with a 1980-something Dodge conversion van I'm considering buying from them, trying out the van life after saving up for a while, so I've got a lot of options I'm weighing currently. For now, I'm working full-time and saving money. Art college dropout, because I realized I was paying out the ass just to become another piece in the puzzle of capitalism, and I'm not about that. Would love to find a group of like-minded punks to live and travel with eventually-- I only pretty recently started to get into the punk scene, and it's been tough trying to find community when all the shows are shut down on account of covid.
My interests include music, obviously, art(would love to do some album covers if any bands need artists), urbex(especially draining,) and activism/community support. I used to be into circus arts, and would love to get back into them– I own a cyr wheel that I never learned to use.
Anway, I thought this site would be a good place to find like-minded people and get advice on starting to live more independently from the 9 to 5 bullshit.
Hey! I am also in Colorado Springs. Its a tough city for a lot of that stuff. I'm a lot older than you, but just letting you know I'm local.

Reactions: Hudson

Hudson

Reaction score
You guys have an in and out in Colorado now!

Don't become a trucker man. I did it for two years, and it is some of the worse paying shit in the world. Yeah, you'll make upwards of $1k a week. But your working 70+hours a week, driving in the shittiest environments known to man, risking your ass. You spend most of your money at truck stops, because you can't park your 70ft truck anywhere. Life expectancy of a trucker is about 56 then they usually fall out from heart disease. Its a terrible job, and lonely as fuck. Don't do it.

After two years of that shit I would cry seeing normal people living normal lives. It is the most soul crushing job I've ever had. I ended up becoming a garbage man until my shoulder gave out.

If you get a cdl, find local work. So you can have a life, and not spend your whole life working. Not to mention the danger. It is like #3 most dangerous job in the US, right now. I saw some horrible stuff on those freeways over the course of 2 years. Way worse and more often than the stuff i saw in Iraq wearing body armor for two years.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

KingViper

Reaction score
I Saw a dude on yt who was into trucking lived a frugal life and saves up 10 to 20 grand in a year.also trucking woulldnt be considered a 9-5 but yeah working for corporations sucks but its hell lot better than a factory job or macdolands thats real robot slavery.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads