Favorite quotes? | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Favorite quotes?

sons of vipers

Reaction score
"All I had to offer anyone was my own confusion"
-Jack Kerouac in On the Road

"Never tell anybody anything, if you do you start missing everybody"
-J.D. Salinger in Catcher in the Rye

"It should not be denied that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations. Absolute freedom. And the road has always led west."
-Christopher McCandless in Into the Wild

Unslap

Reaction score
"Oh my god, I have to take a shit"
-My friend

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

soapybum

Reaction score
"Your worm is your only emperor for diet: we fat all creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for maggots: your fat king and your lean beggar is but variable service, two dishes, but to one table:
that's the end." - Shakespeare

"Existence precedes and rules essence."

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." - Sartre

bryanpaul

Reaction score
reading Leevinkansas' story (http://www.squattheplanet.com/threads/the-real-story-of-my-life.11157/) reminded me of this quote from the first page in the book "From Coast to Coast with Jack London" by the historic hobo A-No.1

To Restless Young Men and Boys Who Read this Book, the Author, who Has Led for Over a Quarter of a Century the Pitiful and Dangerous Life of a Tramp, gives this Well-Meant Advice: DO NOT Jump on Moving Trains or Street Cars, even if only to ride to the next street crossing, be- cause this might arouse the "Wanderlust," besides endangering needlessly your life and limbs. Wandering, once it becomes a habit, is almost incurable, so NEVER RUN AWAY, but STAY AT HOME, as a roving lad usually ends in becom- ing a confirmed tramp. There is a dark side to a tramp's life: for every mile stolen on trains, there is one escape from a horrible death; for each mile of beautiful scenery and food in plenty, there are many weary miles of hard walking with no food or even water through mountain gorges and over parched des- erts; for each warm summer night, there are ten bitter-cold, long winter nights; for every kindness, there are a score of unfriendly acts. A tramp is constantly hounded by the minions of the law; is shunned by all humanity, and never knows the meaning of home and friends. To tell the truth, the "Road" is a pitiful exist- ence all the way through, and what is the end? It is an even ninety-nine chances out of a hundred that the finish will be a miserable one — an accident, an alms-house, but surely an un-marked pauper's grave.

Alaska

Reaction score
"Language bearers, Photographers, Diary makers
You with your memory are dead, frozen
Lost in a present that never stops passing
Here lives the incantation of matter;
A language forever"

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
“I celebrated Thanksgiving in the old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.”

~ Jon Stewart

Kodiak

Reaction score
“Dying should come easy:
like a freight train you don't hear when your back is turned.”
Charles Bukowski.

"Down in the railroad yards they moved across tracks picking cars, places, hoped destinations - better towns, better times, better love, better luck, better something. They'd never find it, they'd never stop looking." - Charles Bukowski

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new."
Robert Service

"But men labor under a mistake. The better part of the man is soon ploughed into the soil for compost. By a seeming fate, commonly called necessity, they are employed, as it says in the old book, laying up treasures which moth and rust will corrupt and thieves break through and steal. It is a fool's life, as they will find when they get to the end of it, if not before."
—Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads