Fare Evasion

Pickles

Reaction score
So I recently got busted on Portland public transit, on Trimet, for the first time. And got a month long exclusion from the bus, max, and streetcar. Assholes.

But I found this gem of an article when searching for ways to continue riding.

"
“Your free ride on Trimet is about to end.”

Posted by Amy J. Ruiz on Fri, Dec 7 at 2:05 PM

Today at City Club, Trimet General Manager Fred Hansen used his scheduled time at the lunchtime civic session to make some big announcements:
“I am taking several steps to deal with issues of fare evasion, loud and intimidating behavior and criminal activity on the system. I am setting a standard of zero tolerance for fare evaders,” Hansen said. He’s also thinking about restricting or perhaps eliminating Fareless Square.
Hansen laid out a seven part plan to decrease fare evasion and increase security. Increased police presence on MAX, by upping the Transit Police Division staff by 10 percent, at a cost of $500,000. Increased fare inspections, thanks to the recent increase is Wackenhut private security on the system (from 15 to 36). Hansen’s working to give security officers “the authority to write tickets and exclude unruly people from the Trimet system.”
It’ll be harder to come up with an excuse for your fare evasion, too—Trimet plans to fix up or start replacing the ticket vending machines, many of which are 20 years old, and not very reliable. “Your free ride on Trimet is about to end,” Hansen said.
Hansen’s also “entering into a partnership with Victory Outreach Community Services Inc,” a community-based Latino organization that will ride the system and work with Latino youth to prevent gang activity on MAX.
Trimet’s exclusion policy will be streamlined, “to more effectively respond to disruptive behavior.” Hansen’s also expanding the code of conduct, and “making it enforceable.”
Trimet’s also replacing old light bulbs, especially at eastside MAX stops, to make the lighting brighter, and adding more closed circuit security cameras. By the time the Green Line opens in September 2009, Trimet will employ over 500 cameras throughout the system.
And, perhaps the biggest news, Hansen plans to propose an ordinance to Trimet’s Board of Directors that would cut Fareless Square’s hours to 7 am to 7 pm. He’ll also launch a public process to explore other potential changes to Fareless Square. And if cutting the hours of Fareless Square saves any money, Hansen says he’ll devote those to safety and security throughout the system.
Hansen outlined the history of Fareless Square—it was originally implemented 31 years ago to deal with Portland’s air quality problem, with cars causing 140 days of air quality violations in downtown Portland. “31 years later we no longer have an air quality problem. It is time to reevaluate the need for fareless square and define the public policy purpose of subsidizing free rides in the downtown and in the Lloyd District in terms of today’s policy objectives.”
“The fact is, Fareless Square provides a free ride for panhandlers, who go back and forth between downtown and the Lloyd Center, and drug dealers and rowdy gangs of young people, homeless people and drunks who are using the train as a shelter and a place to do their business. This type of undesirable behavior—that intimidates our riders and leads to crime—is being subsidized by regular Trimet riders,” he added. “The restriction of hours specifically targets these types of behavior.”

Bahahaha your free ride is OVER. This was in fuckin 2007.
Portlanders, who has honestly noticed that much of a difference besides that fat bastard who lives on the stairs at the 82nd stop?

Get over yourself, Trimet.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Well, I take free rides here and there as much as I can, never have bought a Max ticket, but I do support enforcing some rules of decency and basic civility (as I see it), and I do enforce them.

I don't like young people sitting when older people have no seat, or young guys not giving their seats to women, or people blasting their music loud enough for me to hear on the other end of the bus/traincar.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
People should not EVER go to jail for non-violent acts. I felt like shit when that happened to you Rememberusername. Not much jail up here in Vancity BC, at least not often...at least not just for fare evasion alone. If you have warrants, be sure to bum a ticket from anyone getting off. Translink transfers are good all ways for the time stamped, be sure to have one for ALL ZONES traveled (there are 3), lest ye not get hastled. I have at least 15 outstanding 175$ tickets, and I refuse to pay them...ever. Transit should be Free, fares are just another tax on the working poor, handicapped, aged, young, and anybody else who has the balls, and common sense to not participate in car culture. I've ridden city buses all my life, and even worked with them a few years in a couple contract jobs. Every time, and every ride, is a good dose in reality.

Reactions: Mankini

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
The guy who gave that interview sounds like a total idiot. 31 years later we no longer have an air quality problem, so we can undo all the steps we took to get there in order to give a bunch of poor people tickets!! Just throw 500,000$ and some cops at the problem I'm sure it will work out just fine!! Morons.

How'd you guys get caught? I usually just try to keep an eye out for them at the stops and get out real quick if I see them. And how the hell are they going to enforce excluding people?

Reactions: Mankini

Pickles

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking! I mean, are they fuckin sending photos out to all the bus drivers to post in their buses, like little wanted posters? Ya know, DO NOT ADMIT shit? No. How is anyone gonna know unless I get caught without a ticket again? Honestly. I'm probably not gonna be here by the time my 30 days starts, but I really can't see them doing anything about it unless one of the two ticket inspectors who saw us get caught saw us again on the max.

We got caught cause we were sitting down and the guy got on without us noticing, then took our ids and shit on the max. He was all dickish cause Benji and I were without tickets one day and this same guy tried to get him on the platform, but Ben ran and the guy ended up tripping up the stairs about 4 times, which meant everyone who got off the max after us was laughing hysterically at the inspector. So now he's just gonna be a prick to everyone because he hates his life.

And yeah, this guy doesn't seem to understand that the air is good because it worked. If they undo all the steps, it will stop working. Because everyone will drive in the "free rail zone" instead of taking public transportation. Fuckin idiot.

Pickles

Reaction score
Yeah, we were all standing perfectly still, but with all the nudity and the dance music and the body paint and the laser lights... it must have been the lasers that gave us away.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini and kidbob

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, let me clarify since I'm not familiar with the Max, on the east coast, there are some hacks that allow you to scam the DC and NYC subway systems (not the same technique though)- but not token-based ones like Philly. DC has been getting harder, but it's still considered the easiest on the east coast considering all the crap you have to go through for the other cities- it's on the same level as SF right now.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
The MAX is one of those semi-honor based things where you are supposed to buy a ticket at the little kiosk at the station before you get on. Once you pay the little robot thing it prints out a receipt type thing to prove that you paid. Sometimes they send transit police to check people's tickets and such. So, scamming the DC system would be tricking the ticket taking machines, while scamming the MAX would be avoiding being checked by a transit police person for fare. Different ballgame all together. Hope that helps clarify, finn

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads