Eugene, OR | Squat the Planet

Eugene, OR

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yep good place. Good camping along the river close to downtown, long as you don't leave your stuff set up. You can also take the city bus 40mi out of town near blue river, and camp in NF land(technically restricted in this area, but its a bloody forest they won't find you) for 1.50. The downtown health food place, kiva, has a super fruitful dumpster. Plenty of feeds, food not bombs, drum circle at the courthouse on sundays.

Lots of travelers in Eugene. Locals are either friendly or ignore you.

Don't blow shit up I love this town =P

O

outlawloose

Whiteaker neighbourhood has lots of nice spots to hang + meet other travels. Check out The Wandering Goat by the UP lines

Kal

Reaction score
Yep good place. Good camping along the river close to downtown, long as you don't leave your stuff set up. You can also take the city bus 40mi out of town near blue river, and camp in NF land(technically restricted in this area, but its a bloody forest they won't find you) for 1.50. The downtown health food place, kiva, has a super fruitful dumpster. Plenty of feeds, food not bombs, drum circle at the courthouse on sundays.

Lots of travelers in Eugene. Locals are either friendly or ignore you.

Don't blow shit up I love this town =P
Sounds like a cool place. I was in Salem and it was cool town but now I am in Newport and it seems like a cool town will be going south on 101.

scatwomb

Reaction score
I live in Eugene, and yes, it's a pretty great place. Wawa and outlaw are pretty spot on. The bus that Wawa is talking about has a last stop at the McKenzie River Ranger District US Forest Service Headquarters on Highway 126 - it's about 12 miles to the east of Blue River, OR. And, ha, as a former Forest Service employee, I can say that lots of people camp out in the woods. And, the Forest Service really doesn't care if you're there, as long as you're not doing really stupid shit, like starting forest fires or something.

As for Eugene, most of the travelers hang out either downtown or in the Whit (however, the Whit is filled with homebums, drug addicts, and all-around shady people - and some amazing people too). You occasionally see some stray travelers near the UO campus or in south Eugene.

It's the time of year where Eugene is filling up with travelers - they should be gone by October...I think?

Reactions: oldcoyote

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
All spot on.

Camping on Skinner's Butte is pretty sweet. Just like the riverfront, there are plenty of spots, but also plenty of sketchy fuckers.
The further up River Rd you go, the easier it is to stay clear of riffraff or trouble.

The river beaches near the Arbor Ln dead end are the most beautiful stretches in town. Islands you can wade to, gravel beds, a circular float route, ...

The Whit is definitely where you'll find lots of kids. It's got lots of activist history and is still somewhat of an anarchist stronghold. The Goat opens super early, and doesn't boot folks for loitering, unless they are doing stupid shit.

The Mission serves 3 meals daily and showers. If you stay the night, they give you storage for your shit and do your laundry for you. Ask around about the Dining Room. They offer a few hot meals a week, with table service.

Keep the number to CAHOOTS on you: 541-682-5111. They are a mobile crisis assistance team. If you're in any kind of trouble, CAHOOTS will take measures to help homeless folks without the need for cops. They operate out of White Bird Clinic, which is also a rad resource.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads