Enough/ good enough clothes? Australia in summer, probably some heavy rain

Lee

Reaction score
I'm going to list you the stuff I have, that I COULD bring. If you could just give me some tips, tell me what I should worry about, what I need to buy etc.

So, this is stuff I HAVE, not that I am definitely taking.
Keep in mind, 'Am taking' means I'll more than likely take it, unless you say why.

1 pair durable, thick jeans (Am taking) - Denim
1 pair thermal leggings (Am taking) - Synthetic
1 pair loose fitting, light, cotton pants (Should I bother?) - Cotton
3 pairs long work socks. (Am taking) - Bamboo fibre
1 pair waterproofed hiking boots (Hoping to pick up some surplus military canvas/leather boots for cheap, Am taking a pair of boots) - Synthetic OR leather & canvas
2 thin shirts - Cotton
1 warm hoodie - Cotton & acrylic
very thick, very warm cotton jacket OR medium warmth military surplus jacket, or both
Long raincoat (Am taking)
Gloves
scarf
Hat
Bandana (for my beautiful locks of hair)

Shit, that seems like a lot. So, any ideas what I should take, what I don't need, how to take less with the best warmth factor.

Cheers!

Lee

Reaction score
Also, As I said in a previous post, I have back problems and so need as light a pack a possible. Along with clothing, I will probably be carrying on my back

bedroll
small first aid kit
utility knife
What else?

On my front, through a harness, I'll probably have water etc.

E

Earth

what kind of journey are we talking here??
australia is one huge vast space, as big as the united states but obviously much sparsely developed.
must be great out there.....
during the 1970s i began each day by listening to Radio Australia via shortwave, man those were the days...........

E

Earth

if you are going way into desolate land, the outback or something, you may want to consider some sort of signaling device, like flares, orange smoke, a mirror... anything that a boater would carry to summon help if something goes horribly wrong.
you bringing any kind of communications with ya??
i could see both sides of that argument...

Reaction score
For the record, there is a whole thread on this that is very extensive that will answer your questions and more on anything related to what you should and could take, with suggestions on packs too. Using the search function will greatly aid you, rather than having to make a new thread because you dont see it in the first few pages. Dig and you shall find

Lee

Reaction score
For the record, there is a whole thread on this that is very extensive that will answer your questions and more on anything related to what you should and could take, with suggestions on packs too. Using the search function will greatly aid you, rather than having to make a new thread because you dont see it in the first few pages. Dig and you shall find

Cheers. Can you give us a name/link?

Lee

Reaction score
if you are going way into desolate land, the outback or something, you may want to consider some sort of signaling device, like flares, orange smoke, a mirror... anything that a boater would carry to summon help if something goes horribly wrong.
you bringing any kind of communications with ya??
i could see both sides of that argument...

I more than likely wont be going 'way into desolate land', but I was thinking of getting one of those disposable, pre-paid phones just in case.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I more than likely wont be going 'way into desolate land', but I was thinking of getting one of those disposable, pre-paid phones just in case.

even if you don't pay the bill, you can make emergency calls on it, which might save your butt in certain situations.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads