down vs. synthetic | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

down vs. synthetic

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
They make water resistant down nowadays, a bit pricy though, and I don't know how long the water resistant lasts.

Art101

Reaction score
I have a 70's era Eddie Baur mountaineering bag and after all these years it still is warm and solid but I am more of a synthetic kinda person these day but have put the down inside a syn in the snow and was toasty. Just my 2 cents.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ledge-River-0-degree-XL-Sleeping-Bag/3818471/product.html

I have one of those, and it rules........im 6'3 and can fit inside of it comfortably. and its like 50 bucks. can't complain. blah blah. don't have a credit card, don't wanna hear it. just go to a wal mart, get a gift card, and put the money on it to buy it. get it sent to general delivery, etc etc. but the chances are more then likely, that you have a credit card, or your mom does.
how is that one holding out for you? I'm about to go hike the AT and I need a bag but i'm on a real tight budget. probably ganna get this one but i'm worried about the zipper.

D

Deleted member 2626

5.2 pounds is kind of heavy. I have a lifetime warranty, 0 degree 4 lb Wiggy's sleeping bag. pretty good bag. Might need to send it back though after a few years of good use to replace it. wearing out a bit

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
@CelticWanderer

I probably mentioned mine to you, Marmot Hydrogen goose down. bit pricey but rated to 20 degrees weighs about 16oz un huh 16. packs to the size of a football.
oh yea, I Really fucking want one, but I can't afford it :< I have 160 dollars left to spend on a bag. That and I kinda want a synthetic cause of sleeping in a tarp and shit's ganna get wet. still though, If i could find that one cheep i would snag it up in a second. I just scored a really nice BDU jacket and down liner for 30 bucks though :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2626

Wal mart does sell some affordable, relatively quality bags man. Take a gander there. Or shit I have a very compact down bag, I know you said you want synthetic but if you get in a pinch I'd be down for a trade or something celticwanderer. I don't need it and really want my belongings to a min.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Wal mart does sell some affordable, relatively quality bags man. Take a gander there. Or shit I have a very compact down bag, I know you said you want synthetic but if you get in a pinch I'd be down for a trade or something celticwanderer. I don't need it and really want my belongings to a min.
I actually ended up finding a nice Marmot synthetic on sale so i'm all good
Thanks though :D

A

Arketype87

Don't put too much emphasis on the material; it seems that the most important thing is to be warm and dry. You can piece together a sleeping kit from thrift shops (blankets) and a heavy duty tarp and maybe a ground cloth/roll. Just use your ingenuity and craftiness and you'll be warm and dry even with little and for next to no cost to ya. Scout out a good quiet spot to set up camp for rest and sleep is important Celt, especially us who prefer to walk our journeys, ;).

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Don't put too much emphasis on the material; it seems that the most important thing is to be warm and dry. You can piece together a sleeping kit from thrift shops (blankets) and a heavy duty tarp and maybe a ground cloth/roll. Just use your ingenuity and craftiness and you'll be warm and dry even with little and for next to no cost to ya. Scout out a good quiet spot to set up camp for rest and sleep is important Celt, especially us who prefer to walk our journeys, ;).
aw shit i never even thought about making my own. I got jst about everytthing I need now though, I'm almost ready for the AT :D
and yes, nothing like traveling 20+ plus miles on foot and then plopping down in the dirt for a good long rest.

D

Deleted member 2626

man good luck with 20= miles on the A.T. it is a pretty rough trail, atleast till you work up to it and depending on your pack weight. where are you leaving from celtic

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Just throwing it out there that some companies are making "dry down" sleeping bags. Has a few different brand names, and its kinda really pricey, but its basically down with a microscopic waterproof coating. It won't stop the down from compressing if it gets soaked, but dampness does less harm and the down dries much much faster(an hour hanging indoors in an airport took mine from super damp to dry). I've had one for a year so far and it seems worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebends

Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but down bags are a bit high maintenance if you wanna keep them working like new, that is lofting up and creating maximum insulation. Meaning you shouldn't leave them compressed in the stuffsack more than 24hrs at a time and your body/hair oils will start breaking down the feathers over time (so I normally use it with a cheap liner) and washing them is a bitch.

But for the warm to weight/volume, I still use mine most of the time as it's saved my ass during some freezing nights and enabled me to keep a small pack.

For summer traveling, which for me means sleeping out anywhere with or without my tent -- by campfires with flying sparks, on beaches, in parks and rooftops, etc if I had the option to store the down bag somewhere, I'd choose a cheap synthetic bag anytime.

wildwerden

Reaction score
I started with a 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag that took up half my pack plus 4ish pounds and was hella warm. I saved up for a down bag and was blown away as to how light, warm, and compact it was... after a couple of months traveling with it, I ended up buying the green patrol sleeping bag for $25 at a surplus store. Down is really high maintenance and I was constantly worried about ripping it, getting it too dirty (dirt affects loft/warmth and kinda high-maintenance to wash) or sleeping too close to the fire. I like to be able to throw my sleeping bag on dirt and go to sleep without worrying about dirt, holes, & tears. I like keeping it in my pack for days with out worrying that I am fucking up the bag. Using down in the winter or on bicycle tours may be a different story... but I'll stick with the patrol bag for now!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads