down vs. synthetic | Squat the Planet

down vs. synthetic

wildwerden

Reaction score
I'm looking at the pros and cons of each and would like for you guys to throw me yr input. So far I know that synthetic is cheaper and dries out quicker while down is much lighter and warmer but takes ages to dry out. So what do you guys prefer? Down or synthetic sleeping bags?

dprogram

Reaction score
Synthetic outside...down while sleeping in a tent or squatting. That's just me though.

J

Johnny P

Synthetic....down is a pain in the ass to was and if it gets wet it's also a pain. also I'm allergic to down to that really limits me

scatwomb

Reaction score
I must admit that the only down bags i ve seen or used were of the army surplus type and they were heavy comparatively speaking. One small hole and you had a mess on your hands.

Yeah, a lot of the military stuff is heavy, wears quickly and is generally shitty. You'd think, considering they spend $1,000,000 on one bomb, the Department of Defense would get some badass gear for soldiers. I guess soldiers being alert from quality sleep isn't a priority of folks in the DoD.

D

Deleted member 2626

Down compresses more for sure. i have a small 20 degree one that can be packed to a little bigger than a football, but being winter i had to get a better 0 degree rating and got a Wiggy's, its a suprlight and weighs four pounds, but keeps me sleeping well. and they have a lifetime warranty, when this one wears out in a year or less or more, i can get a new one free.

D

Deleted member 125

synthetic, get a down vest and protect it from ripping, one small rip in a grainer hole and itll look like you murdered 10 geese.

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah that's definitely the case. I love using animal hides and materials for everyday use but synthetic all the way. Get dewy or a little damp it'll still be warm and not as heavy. And with down even if theres no holes feathers still get out. atleast one or two everytime I have it out. over time that adds up i imagine

Shannon

Reaction score
It really depends where and how yer going, what you're doing, and which bag is the better value/available kickdown when you need to acquire. If you're facing a lot of precipitation, I would suggest synthetic. But if you seek a small pack (I would also highly recommend carrying the sleeping bag in a waterproof compression sack), quality down has more warmth per weight/mass.

I got a near-new 0 degree, 2 lb Marmot down bag that compressed to the size of a basketball for $50 on Craigslist. I never had an issue with loose feathers despite beating the shit out of it. The synthetic outer fabric repelled water, but when sleep structures failed (bivvy losing waterproofness in Alaska at 3 AM, tarp on a 53' in a WY snowstorm, etc), misery resulted. Also, the down compresses with use, so you have to occasionally wash it with Woolite in a front-loading washer to retain full warmth. You can keep a synthetic bag dirty, or at least use cheap regular soap on it.

Current bag is synthetic cuz that was what was kicked down when my gear got stolen. 25 degrees and twice the mass.

Reactions: Mankini

Unslap

Reaction score
my biggest problem with down bags is that they're really cramped, because they're usually designed for ultralight backpackers i guess... and synthetic is better if it gets wet.
I do have a down jacket that i've been wearing underneath a shell-work jacket in cold weather, these two jackets together make a great combo

Reactions: Mankini

freepizzaforlife

Reaction score
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ledge-River-0-degree-XL-Sleeping-Bag/3818471/product.html

I have one of those, and it rules........im 6'3 and can fit inside of it comfortably. and its like 50 bucks. can't complain. blah blah. don't have a credit card, don't wanna hear it. just go to a wal mart, get a gift card, and put the money on it to buy it. get it sent to general delivery, etc etc. but the chances are more then likely, that you have a credit card, or your mom does.

Reactions: wildwerden

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads