Does anyone know the origin of the squatters rights symbol | Squat the Planet

Does anyone know the origin of the squatters rights symbol

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
So yea pretty self explanatory I'm curious if anyone knows why the circle N is the squatters rights symbol, the origin of it, and if the symbol has been around since like ancient times or if it's relatively new? If it had an original meaning that's been changed or evolved ect. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 125

ive heard at least half a dozen stories about the origin of the symbol, some coming from old hobo symbols modifying it and some having something to do with the circle being the building and the arrow representing said squatter since it starts outside of the circle (building) goes through it (representing staying in the building) then with the end of the arrow leaving the building and moving on. that ones probobly my favorite but honestly i couldnt tell you the true origin of it, ide never really thought about it before actually.

D

Deleted member 125

Good question. I could not find it in a list of old hobo signs, but I only looked at one site. there were a couple kind of close, but not quite right http://www.worldpath.net/~minstrel/hobosign.htm

i think what i heard they were refering to the "get out fast" or "wrong way" ones. although the meaning of the symbols kinda contradicts squatting, but like i said, it was just one of those hobo stories ide heard but never gave much more thought to.

Mongo

Reaction score
Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions: beersalt

tacopirate

Reaction score

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm on my cell but I believe there is a Wikipedia article about squatting that lays out the history of the symbol.

Nothing to do with hobo symbols as far as I know. Short version is that it originated in Europe in the late 70's and early 80's (keep in mind this was where squatting was strongest) and it started out as reversed (from the way we know it now) so it looked like an S (for 'squat') and somewhere along the way it got flipped so it was an N. I have no way to prove that but I know I read it somewhere...

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
What if it has a D and an R on either side of it? There is a girl with a tattoo like that in this rad photo series: http://www.michaeljosephphotographics.com/album/lost-and-found
Some people have tattoos that look like train tracks, but in hoboglyphs I guess that means ‘unsafe place’? I’m guessing they were going for train tracks. Hoboglyphs are cool, but confusing (but I’m no hobo pro)

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Ok, I only skimmed through so I apologize if anybody mentioned this meaning:

·The circle represents the womb, or shelter
·The bent arrow represents your path through life.

So in turn it means "may you always have shelter on your path through life"

Reactions: sebastien

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
The bent arrow does also show up in native American art....

Attachments

• IMG_20180917_070430_kindlephoto-11202958.jpg
    IMG_20180917_070430_kindlephoto-11202958.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 420

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Ok, so the circle is known to represent the womb, or shelter:
Some Circle Symbol-Meaning Keywords
  • Womb
  • Focus
  • Unity
  • *shelter
https://www.whats-your-sign.com/circle-symbol-meaning.html

I'm still searching for the bent arrow, but I did find a good start, perhaps they just added lines to the horizontal axis creating an "n" shape.

The horizontal axis, represents the path from birth to death, beginning to end, and linear time. This axis represents life on earth as a binary, linear process- life to death, beginning to end, and the dual nature of human existence evidenced by our symmetrical shapes: left and right, male and female, good and evil.
http://symboldictionary.net/?p=1914

Then in the west coast version you will see a line through the start of the arrow, I'm pretty sure this was just to include feminist symbology...

LysergicAbreaction

Reaction score
Whether I'm correct or not, this is what it means to me:

·The circle represents the womb, or shelter
·The bent arrow represents your sacred path through life.

Therefore (to me) the symbol represents "May you always have shelter on your sacred path through life"

...and while I can't prove it, I think the origins of the symbol were derived from a similar notion.

wearerats

Reaction score
Hello, new on this site but I really wanted to add something to this question.

Here in France, people told be that the arrow represents squatters, making our way from squat to squat. So no « N » , or other letter, just a pretty simple zig zag because we don’t go straight from one point to an other.

But after reading you, it looks like there is no real origins and a lot of different interpretations.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads