Do you really like to hitchhike? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Do you really like to hitchhike?

1544c

Reaction score
i normally hate hitching. but sometimes you get a ride with a hot girl and maybe you get laid, or you get $20, or someone buys you dinner.
when you're waiting for a train, a box car with 3 good looking women doesn't pull over for you with comfortable leather seats and AC. (i guess most of the time that doesn't happen hitching either but your odds are much better)

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
when you're waiting for a train, a box car with 3 good looking women doesn't pull over for you with comfortable leather seats and AC. (i guess most of the time that doesn't happen hitching either but your odds are much better)

^ HEY HEY HEY!!! Dont you ruin my dreams!!! :mad:

At one point me and a couple buddies were super starved waiting for a train in the middle of nowhere and we kept joking about how a steaming hot turkey dinner with all the trimmings was gonna be waiting for us in the next 48 that pulled up...

Never happened... But im bound to find at least a steaming hot turd on a 48 these days

Mongo

Reaction score
I enjoy a lot of the stories I get from the people who pick me up. at least half of the drivers I've been picked up by have kicked down something. I don't usually have to wait more than a few hours and usually make about 500 miles or more in a day. I also love the emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows. It's definitely a lot easier to stay clean, for some reason I'm always surprised after just a few hundred miles on a train and getting off looking like a chimney sweep.

Reactions: bryanpaul
J

Johnny P

I hate hitching alone. I get bored and frustrated standing there with my thumb out. I always feel like the thumb would be better used up my ass!I always have people yell obsenities, flip me off, give me the thumbs up...yada yada. It's bullshit.

But, sometimes it can be rewarding. You get kickdowns, meals, smoked up, I've been given work by my rides.

It seems like I have better luck when there are two of us, regardless if the other person is male or female. Though when I was traveling with my lady friend we got rides quick. Even though she said it was the slowest she's ever went. Girls get rides waaaay quicker. I'll stick to trains unless I have to hitch

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
I hate hitching alone. I get bored and frustrated standing there with my thumb out

I swear theres a such thing as hitchhikers dellirium. After about an hour I start acting kinda loopy and generally crazy in a happy way. Probably akin to how they say some people who are on the verge of death happily accept their fate. I guess its my brain happily accepting my fate of living forever on the exit in trying to get a ride out of.

J

Johnny P

^^^probably. Especially standing in the hot sun, when you have to take a shit but don't wanna leave the onramp because you might miss your ride. BLAH! Hitching sucks!

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I found out that hitching is just rather boring and not full of much excitement.If im banged the hell up from ridding trains its a nice break from that.And the kick downs are often very nice.

All i do is sit beside a gas station or at a old run down place near a gas station and hold my sign.Ya get tired of sitting in the baking heat waiting for a ride after 3-4 hrs.

The other thing that sorta pissed me off is that people will more then likely give you $$ as you are waiting for your ride.And that pissed me off quickly in GA as i was waiting for hrs sweating my ass off.Ohhh you fuckers will give me $$ but not a damn ride?LOL.I could careless about the $$ just get me out of this place lol.

• Haha
Reactions: BrisVatne

Ouija

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hitchiking although it has worked out for me more than once. Problem with catching a ride with a a stranger is no matter what you have in common or how chill the ride seems to be, in the back (or front) of everyone in the cars mind is 'Who is the fxcking axe murder!?!"

Ravenhood

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hitchiking although it has worked out for me more than once. Problem with catching a ride with a a stranger is no matter what you have in common or how chill the ride seems to be, in the back (or front) of everyone in the cars mind is 'Who is the fxcking axe murder!?!"
-Ahahaha, yeah I know what you mean, unfortunately there's lots of awkward moments and suspicion involved in hitchhiking. I myself can't help but keep lots of caution in the air since I'm a gal.

Sure, hitchhiking can regularly put you in various shitty situations that you'd prefer never to have to deal with again, but for me it's totally worth it. I've hitchhiked through Canada, the States and a bit in Mexico over the past couple of years and haven't tired of it. I am a patient person who loves to observe my surroundings, pondering whatever flies through my head, taking my time doing whatever it is I'm doing, so I don't care to be stuck in Bum Fuck Nowhere for unknown amounts of time. Shitting situations make me really be able to enjoy the amazing moments, and they toughen me up in all kinds of ways. I've met some amazing people that have inspired me, and I have inspired others in return. I've learned to do with what I got, and I've learned what I gotta do. So besides the worries of who exactly is picking me up, the cold and the mosquitoes, it's all good.

PlasticSturgeon

Reaction score
i kinda like hitchhiking because of being forced to interact with people, which i'm not always the best at, and i like being in situations where i kind of have to rely on my instincts and "street smarts". also i have made friends with drivers who've picked me up, and gotten some really beautiful treatment from people. also, i love the moments when you're standing still in the great outdoors, remembering that you're not where you came from or where you're going, i feel a sort of great weight lifted from my shoulders as the city slips away. that's also why one of the better trips i took i had a bike with me. it was hard to get rides and took 4 days from portland to oakland, but i strapped a sign to my messenger bag and rode when i didn't have a ride, and it was just beautiful riding some of those southern oregon/northern california roads.

I don't think you could have said it better. I really enjoy hitchhiking and those are mainly the reasons why. I'm not the most social person ever, and I rarely go out of my way to talk to people, but because of that "forced interaction" I've heard a lot of interesting stories, met some wonderful people (of course a few not so wonderful ones too), and basically have had opportunities to get to know people who I ordinary wouldn't talk to.
It's fun. And I often get an unusual sense of accomplishment when I reach my destination, even if it was a short distance, hah.

When you rode/hitched to Oakland, did you go down the 101 or did you take a different route?

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
I love people and therefore I love hitchiking? Something like that....I like getting to know someone's story. I have very rarely gotten in a bad situation thumbing it, and I usually find its a good way to find a meal (and sometimes a place to stay for the night)

Mongo

Reaction score
I'm starting to realize that hitchhiking and trainriding are too different emotional highs

Hitchiking- a constant state of extreme lows with extreme highs kinda like a bipolar person.

Trainriding- an extreme adrenaline rush with an extremely long bouts of boredom.

at least that's how I feel

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
In a single, simple statement, yes, I hugely enjoy hitchhiking.
But, I mostly dart between Toronto and Vancouver, floating around the prairies of Canada where getting rides is 10x easier than trap like Ohio.
I could do without intolerant truckers, Medicine Hat, and Sault Ste. Marie though -- those are the things I dislike.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
But nah its Greyhound aka Loser cruiser, shame hound, dirty dog, etc

Terry and Deaner of FUBAR call that single backseat on which two people sit (but on which they are usually spooning of getting all fondly) the "fingerbang seat."
Greyhound is why I like hitchhiking. No grumpy busdrivers or "town hero" alpha-male barking orders at people when the bus breaks down outside of Albany, NY or brats sprawled out across the last seat available.

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
i kinda like hitchhiking because of being forced to interact with people, which i'm not always the best at, and i like being in situations where i kind of have to rely on my instincts and "street smarts". also i have made friends with drivers who've picked me up, and gotten some really beautiful treatment from people. also, i love the moments when you're standing still in the great outdoors, remembering that you're not where you came from or where you're going, i feel a sort of great weight lifted from my shoulders as the city slips away. that's also why one of the better trips i took i had a bike with me. it was hard to get rides and took 4 days from portland to oakland, but i strapped a sign to my messenger bag and rode when i didn't have a ride, and it was just beautiful riding some of those southern oregon/northern california roads.

Couldnt have said bettter...

nati

Reaction score
i hitch and hop trains as well i like hitchhikin because i always know exactly where im going and i get to meet people i would have never of otherwise met plus i usaully get kicked down when I get a ride housed op free drugs shit gotta blowjob from this one chick outta rosevilee cuz i decide to hitch instead of wait in hobo jungle and hopout

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads