Do you really like to hitchhike?

Unslap

Reaction score
Im by the yard in clinton IOwa. Ten minutes ago i was looking where the hwy heads up a huge hill thinking "damn im glad im not hitchhiking up that". Id end up waiting 3 hrs for a 30 minute ride to the next town instead of chilling in the shade waiting for a DS to Cheyenne.
Then i look across the street and theres a couple walking to the hill with packs on, all smiles and energy. They say theyre going to stockton CA, but are apparently too motivated to even stop walking to chat.
I guess my question is, WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT HITCHHIKING because i HATE THAT SHIT. even in oregon id wait forever for short rides even tho i had blond hair (race matters), a purple striped polo shirt (yep) and no beard.

K

Kim Chee

I've had the chance to hang out with ladies briefly while on the street. Dude looks a lot less creepy when he's with a girl. While hitching with the doobster, I actually let my hair down while hitching/carboard flying in hopes that somebody would think I'm a woman and have a heart (had my back turned and couldn't see the beard). Yeah, dirty trick, but whatever. They can assume whatever they want when they see hair, I'm not gonna stop favoritism when things are down a bit. Not too sure if it was successful, but I'd do it again. It was a little funny.

To answer your question:
Hitchhiking sucks, getting rides doesn't.

dawgrunner

Rubber tramp
Reaction score
Website
dawgrunner.wordpress.com
I'm never doing it again.

Miles, kickdown potential, occasional food, change of pace, meeting somebody new. Those are a few things that I like about hitchhiking.

I agree, but if I'm smart I'm going to be using both methods of transportation. Never hitched with another person always been solo.

brokenteeth

Reaction score
I've had the chance to hang out with ladies briefly while on the street. Dude looks a lot less creepy when he's with a girl. While hitching with the doobster, I actually let my hair down while hitching/carboard flying in hopes that somebody would think I'm a woman and have a heart (had my back turned and couldn't see the beard). Yeah, dirty trick, but whatever. They can assume whatever they want when they see hair, I'm not gonna stop favoritism when things are down a bit. Not too sure if it was successful, but I'd do it again. It was a little funny.

yeah, this. shitty it's like that, but I've also had similar experiences. my friend gave me this woolen hat with pigtails, made me look like a girl from afar. worked like gold on the highways... on ramp entrances, not so much. when summer came i couldn't take sweating/looking like an arshole so now if I have to hitch somewhere i wear a regular hat and just try to smile and look happy. also i met some cool folks up in northern AZ who dressed in athletic gear when they would thumb rides and they said it worked great. as for this thread, hitching (traveling in general) is one big rollercoaster for me. high highs and low low's... it can get pretty discouraging after a few days with no luck. i've had a few. it sucks

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i started hitching at about 15 doing seasonal work in ny then hitching to fla to work with clothes and a nickel in my pocket. either i thumbed it or went hungry and froze. kinda became force of habit after a number of times/years. i dont LIKE to hitch but sometimes there is no other option.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
That right there sums up hitchhiking for me. I consider it plan Y in my quest to get somewhere (dirty dog being plan Z). But sometimes you really have no choice.
dirty dog? please..lemme know!
fuck is a dirty dog?
might need a plan z one day you never know

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Its a very sketchy way to get where you gotta go.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThzEIgdJhJPFpQlke1886PvcWzt4K_bsADnLGDYayOAlMEkrb9.jpg

Especially when you have to "ride the rods" on that bad boy

daveycrockett

Reaction score
oh now i get it fuck that first time i hitched to fla i was in port authority ny tryiing to finagle my way onto a bus to fla talking to people on the line and workers, couldnt get on so i hitched when i got to panama city i got dropped off at the bus depot and after about half an hour a bus pulls in with the same people from port authority bus line fuck that layover garbage and its fuckin expensive as hell to theyve got some nerve charging the prices they do. iwas in va goin about 120 miles they wanted about 120 dollars, im good, it is a plan z though.

Dmac

Reaction score
i guess i am just lucky, i have never had to wait more than an hour and a half for a ride and usually get long ones. standing in the sun on the on ramp with no place to piss is not fun and the unknown/unsure factor sucks, not like waiting on a train, cuz you know there will be one sooner or later. i always smile and wave at each car, and have had more than a few stop and back up the shoulder to pick me up just because of that, they said. i feel like i have more control riding trains, but it is all good if it gets me where i want to go.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
i kinda like hitchhiking because of being forced to interact with people, which i'm not always the best at, and i like being in situations where i kind of have to rely on my instincts and "street smarts". also i have made friends with drivers who've picked me up, and gotten some really beautiful treatment from people. also, i love the moments when you're standing still in the great outdoors, remembering that you're not where you came from or where you're going, i feel a sort of great weight lifted from my shoulders as the city slips away. that's also why one of the better trips i took i had a bike with me. it was hard to get rides and took 4 days from portland to oakland, but i strapped a sign to my messenger bag and rode when i didn't have a ride, and it was just beautiful riding some of those southern oregon/northern california roads.

Reactions: Dolphin and schmutz

bikegeek666

Reaction score
also stories. spending half a day in a van with christian missionaries from russia was a weird situation but it's funny now and i don't know anyone else who can tell that story.

Reactions: Dolphin
D

Deleted member 2626

My favorite hitch hiking is that one ride to where your going and don't have to hitch anymore. I enjoy it if I've been laid up awhile and am ready to roll. But, most times it kinda sucks. But, when you get areas where rides are quick, friendly and helpful its awesome. As kinda is with anything and life in general.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads